Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts announces Visiting Senior Fellowship Programme 2021, Apply Now
Visiting Senior Fellowship Program – The Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts invites application for its Visiting Senior Fellowships Program 2021. Fellowships are for full-time research, and scholars are expected to reside in Washington and to participate in the activities of the Center throughout the fellowship period.
Lectures, colloquia, and informal discussions complement the fellowship program. Each visiting senior fellow is provided with a study. In addition, visiting senior fellows who relocate to Washington are provided with housing in apartments near the Gallery, subject to availability.
Fields of Study
- Leonard A. Lauder, Paul Mellon, and Ailsa Mellon Bruce Visiting Senior Fellowships are intended to support research in the history, theory, and criticism of the visual arts (painting, sculpture, architecture, landscape architecture, urbanism, prints and drawings, film, photography, decorative arts, industrial design, and other arts) of any geographical area and of any period. For the Lauder Visiting Senior Fellowship, the Center encourages applications in underrepresented fields.
Visiting Senior Fellowship Program Dates 2021
- Award period: September 1, 2022 – February 28, 2023
- The application portal will open on: December 15, 2021
- Deadline: March 21, 2022
Visiting Senior Fellowship Program Eligibility Criteria 2021
- Visiting senior fellowships are intended for those who have held the PhD for five years or more at the time of application or who possess an equivalent record of professional accomplishment. Individuals currently affiliated with the National Gallery of Art are not eligible for the visiting senior fellowship program. Visiting senior fellowships are awarded without regard to the age or nationality of applicants.
Visiting Senior Fellowship Program Applications Process 2021
- Candidates for visiting senior fellowships must submit, on or before the deadline, an online application that includes a proposal and a copy of one article or chapter of a book. Two letters of recommendation in support of the application are required.
- Visiting senior fellows may receive awards in three consecutive years but thereafter must wait three years before reapplying to the Center. Individuals may not apply for other Center fellowships while an application is pending or once a fellowship has been awarded. Visiting senior fellowships may not be postponed or renewed.
- Applications are reviewed by an external selection committee composed of scholars in the history of art and related disciplines. Outside readers may assist in the evaluation of proposals.
- Recipients of Leonard A. Lauder Fellowships are eligible for an augmented stipend of $12,500 for a two-month residency, which includes a supplement of $2,500 to support future research and publication expenses.
- Recipients of Paul Mellon and Ailsa Mellon Bruce Fellowships will receive a basic stipend of $7,000 or $8,000, depending upon relocation requirements. In addition, fellows receive housing, as available.
For more details and apply please visit the official website