Long-Term and Cross-Disciplinary Fellowships Award Year 2020
HFSP Post Doctoral Fellowship 2020 at France – Human Frontier Science Program invites applications for HFSP Post Doctoral Fellowship, France 2020 from PhD holders.
The main objective of this fellowship is to support transformative research in the life sciences and encourage early-career scientists to broaden their skills by working in new fields of study and a new country.
Offering this Scholarship
- The fellowship is being offered by the Human Frontier Science Program.
Two different fellowship programs are available:
- Long-Term Fellowships (LTF) are for applicants with a Ph.D. in a biological discipline, who will broaden their expertise by proposing a project in the life sciences which is significantly different from their previous Ph.D. or postdoctoral work.
- Cross-Disciplinary Fellowships (CDF) are for applicants with a Ph.D. from outside the life sciences (e.g. in physics, chemistry, mathematics, engineering or computer sciences).
- The 3-year fellowship provides:
- Living allowance
- Child allowance
- Parental leave allowance
- Research and travel allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Anyone from any country and any nationality can apply for a fellowship.
- A candidate who is not a national of one of the HFSPO members (see list below) may apply to work only in a research institution in one of the member countries.
- A candidate who is a national of one of the member countries can apply to work in a research institution in any country.
- HFSPO Member Countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus (EU part only), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States of America
- To be eligible for this fellowship, an applicant must:
- Be a PhD degree holder in a biological discipline if applying under Long-Term Fellowships (LTF)
- Be a PhD degree holder from outside the life sciences (e.g. in physics, chemistry, mathematics, engineering or computer sciences) if applying under Cross-Disciplinary Fellowships (CDF)
- Have at least one research paper to his/her name as a lead author, either published or yet to be published in an international peer-reviewed journal
- Propose to work in a country different than the one where he/she completed his/her 1st PhD work
- Not have started to work in the proposed country or institution before 1st April 2019
- Note: In case the applicant is not from one of the HFSP member countries, he/she may work in any research institute of the member countries and if the candidate belongs to a member country, he/she can apply to work in any country
- For more eligibility criteria, click here
- The review will be done by the two members of the review committee who will then assign ratings on the three different criteria – the excellence of the applicant, the excellence of the proposed research, excellence of the host lab and environment
- Applicants who started to work in the proposed host institution or host country prior to 1 April 2019 are not eligible.
- Applicants who on April 1, 2020 (which is the earliest possible fellowship start date) have spent more than 12 months (consecutive or not) in the proposed host country are not eligible to apply. The combined duration of all research-related stays in the host country (e.g. research positions, collaborations, internships, Master/PhD work, time spent either as a visiting scientist or as a technician, etc…) is taken into account.
- Note: Before submitting an application, please check with your proposed host institution whether it is willing to accept an HFSP award.
- There is one competition per year for HFSP fellowships. The deadline for password registration and initiation of the online application is August 8, 2019.
- The deadline for submitting applications is August 22, 2019 at 1.00 p.m. applicant’s local time.
- Applications must be submitted via the HFSPO website, which will open in July 2019 at https://extranet.hfsp.org.
- Only the online application form is required at the time of application, no further documents (acceptance of host institution, signatures, etc.) are requested or accepted at this stage.
- Applicants may update their publication list via the HFSPO website until November 30, 2019.
- Fellowship Initiation Deadline: 08th August 2019, at 1:00 p.m. applicant’s local time
- Fellowship Submission Deadline: 22nd August 2019, at 1:00 p.m. applicant’s local time
- Publication List via the HFSPO website until 30th November 2019