University Grants Commission, New Delhi announces Post Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child 2019-20
UGC Indira Gandhi PG Scholarship 2019 for Single Girl Child – University Grants Commission is inviting applications for the Post-Graduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child 2019-20 from girl students of up to 30 years of age who happen to be the only girl child in their families. The scholarship aims to promote girl education and compensate for the direct costs of girl education to all levels.
- It is observed that number of girls as against boys in certain states is declining which is a matter of great concern. The females are even forced to give birth to male child.
- In such circumstances education of women needs to be used and effective means for their empowerment and education will prepare them to have control over their lives. The mindset which militates against the girl child could not keep pace with economic progress and literacy.
- The Government of India declared elementary education as a basic human right of every child. The Union Government of India has taken various steps to uplift the status of women by implementing various schemes including free education for girls.
See: Scholarship Programs
- The objectives of the proposed scheme are:
- To support postgraduate education of single girl child in postgraduate courses only.
- To recognize the value of observance of small family norm.
UGC Indira Gandhi PG Scholarship 2019 for Single Girl Child Important Dates
- Scholarship closing date: 31st October 2019
- Last date for defect verification: 15th November 2019
- Last date for Institute verification: 15th November 2019
Duration of Scholarship
- After selection, the awardees will be paid scholarship on DBT mode on annual basis.
See: National Scholarship 2019
Eligibility Criteria for UGC Indira Gandhi PG Scholarship 2019 for Single Girl Child
- Slots: 3000 scholarships
- Age limit: Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in first year of PG courses are eligible.
- The scheme is applicable to such single girl child who has taken admission in regular, full time first year Masters Degree course in any designated university or a post graduate college.
- Admission to PG Course in Distance education mode is not covered under the scheme.
Nature of Assistance Available Under The scheme
- Amount of fellowship: Rs.36,200/- p.a. for a period of two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
- 3,000 fresh scholarships will be awarded every year.
- The awardee can avail of other scholarship also during the tenure of this scholarship.
See: National Scholarship Portal
UGC Indira Gandhi PG Scholarship 2019 for Single Girl Child Application Process
- Applications will be invited once a year on the National e-Scholarship Portal of the Government of India, Visit the homepage of the NSP website www.scholarships.gov.in. Short notification will also be uploaded on the UGC website.
- Incomplete applications will be summarily rejected. Only verified online applications will be considered for award of scholarship
- The candidates fulfilling the eligibility conditions are required to apply online on National Scholarship Portal after initiation of application process and notice to be published on UGC website.
- The host institution where the candidate is studying is required to verify the online application.
- It is expected from the institutions where students have taken admission in the first year PG course, no tuition fees will be charged by the institute from girl students to pursue PG degree course in Universities/Colleges/Institutions.
UGC, New Delhi
University Grants Commission, Bhadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi-110 002, website www.ugc.ac.in