Prime Minister’s Fellowship Scheme for Doctoral Research for December 2019
By Vaishnavi Tyagi
Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF) 2019 – Prime Ministers Research Fellowship Scheme for Doctoral Research is a fellowship for PhD students in India. The Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF) 2019 Scheme provides an opportunity to Ph.D. scholars to do research in the area of Science, Technology, Engineering, Agriculture and Medicine. It is a joint initiative of the Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB) and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
The PMRF scheme provides scholarships to PhD students up to INR 10.92 lakhs per annum, 50% of which will be provided by the government and the remaining 50% will be by a sponsoring industry for a duration of four years. The research fellow will get a research degree by doing this industry research.
See: Scholarships in India 2020
Key Points of the Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF) Scheme are as follows:
- The Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF) Scheme for Doctoral Research supports up to 100 research projects in a financial year.
- 50% of the scholarship amount will come from SERB upto a maximum of INR 6.1 lakhs per annum (including 10% management fees).
- The rest of the 50% amount will come from the partner industry co-applicant.
- The maximum duration of the fellowship scheme is four years.
- Candidates need to apply online on the official website of the Prime Minister’s Fellowship Scheme.
- Applications are invited twice a year.
- The last date to apply for the scheme is within 14 months of admission to Ph.D. for which the first date will be considered as the enrolment date.
Eligibility Criteria for Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship December 2019
One has to fulfil the following requirements to apply for the PMRF scheme-
- The doctoral fellow is allowed to apply for the fellowship scheme.
- One Ph.D. Scholar and one industry will apply jointly.
- The research fellow must have taken admission in full-time Ph.D. in last 14 months of submission of applications in any recognized University/Institute/Research Laboratory.
- In case of different admission dates and registration dates, the first date of Ph.D. admission will be considered.
- The research fellow should get a ‘No Objection’ Certificate from his/her Institution before applying for a fellowship.
- The research fellow must identify his/her industry partner/co-applicant before applying who should be ready to support the research financially and provide technical support.
- The research fellow with the area in Science, Technology, Engineering, Agriculture and Medicine are eligible to apply.
- The proposed research topic must have relevance practically and must qualify the criteria based on technical & scientific merit.
- During the project period, the candidate must be willing to work in the industry.
See: National Scholarship 2020
Please Note the following conditions while applying for the PMRF Scholarship:
- NGO and Society will not be considered as an industry partner.
- The company must be registered with the Indian Companies Act.
- The consortium of Companies or Body Corporate is allowed to support the fellowship.
- Research institutes/arms of companies are allowed to support the fellowship.
PMRF Scheme 2019 Fellowship Amount
- The fellowship amount will be up to INR 10.92 lakhs per annum per candidate.
- The fellowship scheme will support up to 100 research projects in a financial year.
- The amount of the fellowship will be subjected to revision as per the current JRF/SRF slab.
- If a candidate gets selected for this fellowship, he/she has to stop receiving any other scholarship/award from any other organization.
- 50% of the scholarship amount will be paid by SERB being equivalent to Government norms for JRF/SRF.
- Remaining 50% of the scholarship amount will be given by the partner industry co-applicant.
- The release of the fellowship amount starts from the month of April followed by a monthly basis every year.
Selection Process for Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship 2019
- The selection will be done by a high –level Apex Council of members from Academics, Industry and government. The council will review the applications first and then select the candidate for the award of PM fellowship.
- The research project should be of high scientific merit with depth R&D as opposed to exploratory investigation.
- The proposed research topic should have good business opportunities and commercialization.
- The doctoral fellow must have high credibility.
- The high degree of business interest, collaboration and involvement of industry is required.
Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship Application Process 2019
- Apply online at: https://www.primeministerfellowshipscheme.in
- In the online application form all fields and attachments are required except for the broad discipline field. For the broad discipline field at least one broad discipline is required.
- Give specific area of study(100 words)
- Abstract of project proposed (1000 words)
- Detailed abstract to be uploaded
- Deliverables and expected outcomes
- Contact for PMRF Scheme
- Send an email to email@example.com for application related support
- For additional degree(s) beyond qualifying degree and employment related details, additional information is required if applicable.
- The Project abstract should clearly articulate the area of the study and should display keen interest and insight on the subject chosen.
- The Project abstract should formulate a problem for the study which would be used for assessing the applicant’s analytical and research skills.
- The topic chosen should be in frontier areas of science and technology, preferably, focusing on national priorities.
- There should be at least two referee names provided by each applicant for the Selection Committee to seek feedback.
Important Dates for Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship Scheme December 2019
- The Deadline for Submission of Applications is 11.30 pm, 15th October 2019
- Also applicants who have already submitted their applications can modify Section 2 of their application till 11.30 pm, 15th October 2019
See: OBC Scholarship 2020
FAQs related to Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship Scheme December 2019
Q1. How to Apply for the Fellowship?
Ans: Please visit the official website of the Prime Minister’s Fellowship Scheme and register as a student. Next, download the call and document list. Tie up with a company and get signed all the undertakings from a signatory in the company and institute. Fill the form online and attach a digital file of required documents.
Q2. Can I apply if I do not have any industry partner?
Ans: The organization does not accept any applications without Industry Partners. Although, CII helps the candidate in match-making with the industry partners and research scholars. Candidates need to register online on the official portal. The organization doesn’t guarantee 100% match-making.
Q3. What is the timeline for submitting the Application?
Ans: You can submit the application online in 14 months from the first date of admission date in Ph.D. program.
Q4. Do I require to send a hard copy/stamped copy of the Application form to CII?
Ans: No, you do not require to send a hard copy/ stamped or signed copy of the filled-up application form to CII.
Q5. How many institutes are supporting PM Fellowship?
Ans: Here is a list of institutes which support the fellowship-
Acharya Nagarjuna University, Academy of Scientific & Innovative Research, Alagappa University, Amity University, Anna University, Banaras Hindu University, Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, Hemchandracharya North Gujarat University, Institute of Chemical Technology, Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Indian Institute of Science, Indian Institutes of Technology, IIT Bombay – Monash University Research Academy, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Manipal University, National Chemical Laboratory, National Institutes of Technology, PSG College, Punjab Agricultural University, Saurashtra University, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Tata Memorial Hospital, Thiagarajar College of Engineering and Kurukshetra University.
Q6. Which companies support PM Fellows in their research?
Ans: Here is a list of companies which support the fellowship-
Abellon Clean Energy Limited, Applied Materials Inc., Arche Biologics, Autosys Engineering (P) Limited, Beauscape Farms, Bharat Forge Limited, Cadila Pharmaceuticals Limited, CYMK Inks LLP, Eaton Corporation, Envian Engineers Private Limited, EON Electric Limited, Forbes Marshall Private Limited, G.E. Motors Private Limited, GE India Technology Center Private Limited, General Mills India Private Limited, Godrej & Boyce Manufacturing Company Limited, Google India Private Limited, Hoganas AB, HPCL, IBIDEN Co. Limited, Infosys Limited, Intel Corporation – USA, Intel Technology India Private Limited, Jai Bharath Gum & Chemical Limited, Joegeetha Plastic Pipes, Kamineni Hospital Limited, K-Pack Systems Private Limited, Krish Biotech Research Private Limited, Maxim Crop Sciences Private Limited, Maxim Integrated – California, Microsoft Research, Morphing Machines Private Limited, NanoXpert Technologies, Natco Pharma Limited, NMDC, Nova-Surface Care Centre Private Limited, Nuziveedu Seeds Limited, Ozone Research and Application India Private Limited, P&G – Beijing, Persistent Systems Limited, Petrotech Society, Piramal Healthcare Limited, Prathista Industries Limited, Preca Solutions India Private Limited, Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Solutions Limited, Sahajanand Medical Technologies Private Limited, Sampurn Agri Ventures Private Limited, Shell India Markets Private Limited, Simco Global Technology & Systems Limited, Skymax Research & Regulations, Solar Agrotech Private Limited, Sree Akzya Dyeing, Strand Life Sciences, Suyog Nirmiti, Talga Resources Limited, Tata Chemicals Limited, Tata Steel Limited, The Punjab State Cooperative Milk Producers Fed Limited (Milkfed Punjab), Thermax Limited, Trichy Distilleries & Chemicals Limited, United Phosphorus Limited, Vaata Infra Limited, Varsha Bioscience and Technology, Verdenta Hybrid Seeds Private Limited, Xerox India Limited and Zim Laboratories Limited
Q7. Can I apply again next year in case I do not get accepted?
Ans: Yes, you can apply next year as a fresh candidate with updated information.
Q8. Is a project proposal a mandatory requirement while applying for the scheme?
Ans. Yes, You must attach a proposal as required. The details can be seen at the official website of the Prime Minister’s Fellowship Scheme.