Japanese Government announces MEXT Scholarships Program for 2023 to Study Undergraduate Programs at Japanese universities
MEXT Scholarships 2023 – The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers scholarships to International Students who wish to study at Japanese universities as Undergraduate Students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program 2023
MEXT Scholarships 2023
Number of Scholarships
- Up to 12 (Those appx. 12 applicants who successfully pass the first screening will proceed to the worldwide final screening by MEXT.)
- Application Deadline (must): 27 May 2022
- Application Screening: June 2022
- Notification of Shortlisted Candidates for Written Test/Interview (on this page): in June 2022
- Written Examination: 9 July 2022
- Interview: To be announced
- Notification of the Results of the First Screening: Early August 2022
Fields of Study
(1) Social Sciences and Humanities
Social Sciences and Humanities – A
- Japanese Language
- Others (excluding “1. Economics” and “2. Business Administration” in Humanities B.)
Social Sciences and Humanities – B
- Business Administration
(2) Natural Sciences
Natural Science – A
- Science (1. Mathematics 2. Physics 3. Chemistry)
- Electric and Electronic Studies (4. Electronics 5. Electrical Engineering 6. Information Engineering)
- Mechanical Studies (7. Mechanical Engineering 8. Naval Architecture)
- Civil Engineering and Architecture (9. Civil Engineering 10. Architecture 11. Environmental Engineering)
- Chemical Studies (12. Applied Chemistry 13. Chemical Engineering 14. Industrial Chemistry 15. Textile Engineering)
- Other Fields (16. Metallurgical Engineering 17. Mining Engineering 18. Maritime Engineering 19. Biotechnology)
Natural Science – B
- Agricultural Studies (1. Agriculture 2. Agricultural Chemistry 3. Agricultural Engineering 4. Animal Science 5. Veterinary Medicine 6. Forestry 7. Food Science 8. Fisheries)
- Hygienic Studies (9. Pharmacy 10. Hygienics 11. Nursing)
- Science (12. Biology)
Natural Sciences – C
Eligibility Criteria for MEXT Scholarships 2023
- In addition to the Qualifications and Conditions listed in the Guidelines, a minimum of 65% marks at 12th grade are required.
- * Preference will be given to candidates with Japanese Language proficiency
- Applicants, in principle, must be born on or after 2 April, 1998
Period of Scholarship
A grantee who studies at a preparatory educational institution prior to enrolling in a university:
- The scholarship period will last for five years from April 2023 to March 2028, including one-year preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects due to be provided upon arrival in Japan.
- For scholarship grantees majoring in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or a six-year course in pharmacy, the scholarship period will be seven years until March 2029.
A grantee who enroll in a university through direct placement:
- The scholarship period will last for four years (or for six years for those majoring in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or in a six-year course in pharmacy).
- The scholarship period will start from the time of enrollment in the university which the university designates.
- 117,000 yen (Approx. Rs.70,000) per month
- Applicants must submit the following documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission in the country of the applicant’s nationality by the designated deadline. The submitted documents will not be returned.
Documents to be submitted
- Application form
- Certificate of Health
- Sample Format of Recommendation Letter (Since board examination is postponed, a separate detailed recommendation letter [free format] from your current school shall be used to assess the candidates.)
- Direct Placement Preference Form * Only for applicants desiring direct placement.
Where to send the completed forms and Where to contact
- For students residing in West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand and Odisha should submit their application forms at Consulate General of Japan in Kolkata ([email protected]) website: https://www.kolkata.in.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/00_mextscholarship.html
- For students residing in Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana should submit the application at Consulate General of Japan in Chennai, No 12/1 Cenetoph Road, 1st Street, Teynampet, Chennai 600018
- For students residing in Chhattisgarh, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu, Goa, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra should submit their application at Consulate of General of Japan in Mumbai, No.1, M.L.Dahanukar Marg, Cumballa Hill, Mumbai, 400026, Website: https://www.mumbai.in.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/mext_undergraduate_scholarship.html
- For students residing in Karnataka should submit their application at Consulate of General of Japan in Bengaluru, 1st Floor, Prestige Nebula, No.8-14, Cubbon Road, Bengaluru 560001
- For students residing in the remaining states and union territories should submit their application form at Embassy of Japan, 50-G, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021
- Note: Applications need to be sent by post or courier. They do NOT accept applications sent by Email.
For more details and to apply online, please visit the official website