Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts announces A. W. Mellon and Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2024-26
- W. Mellon and Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2024-26 – Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts invites application for A. W. Mellon and the Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellowship Program. The Center currently offers one postdoctoral fellowship biennially for two consecutive academic years 2024-26
A.W. Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2024-26
About Postdoctoral Fellowship
- The Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts currently offers, in alternating years, two postdoctoral fellowships for two consecutive academic years each. The A. W. Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow and the Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellow will reside in Washington.
- During both years of a two-year residency, the A. W. Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow and the Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellow carry out research and writing for publication. In the first year of the fellowship, the fellow will design and direct an intensive weeklong seminar for the seven predoctoral fellows in residence at the Center, focusing on a topic related to the applicant’s field of interest and with a special emphasis on methodological issues.
- In the second academic year, while continuing research and writing in residence, the fellow is expected to teach one course by arrangement at a neighboring university.
Field of Study
- Both the A. W. Mellon and Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellowships support research in the history, theory, and criticism of the visual arts of any period or culture. The Center encourages applications in historically marginalized fields.
- Award Period Academic Years : 2024–2026
- Application Deadline (Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellowship): October 15, 2023
- Applicants for the A. W. Mellon and the Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellowships must have received the PhD degree within the five years preceding the next application deadline.
- Applicants for the 2024–2026 Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellowship must have received the PhD degree between October 1, 2018, and October 1, 2023.
- The fellowships are awarded without regard to age or nationality of applicants.
- Candidates for the Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellowship must complete an online application that includes brief proposals for the topic of the predoctoral seminar and the university course and a copy of an article or a chapter of a book, to be submitted on or before October 15, 2023.
- Three letters of recommendation in support of the application are required. After a preliminary selection, several candidates will be invited to Washington in early 2024 for interviews.
- The Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellowship cannot be deferred or renewed. Holders of the A. W. Mellon and the Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellowships may reapply for a senior or visiting senior fellowship five years after the completion of the fellowship.
- Individuals may not apply for other Center fellowships while an application is pending or once a fellowship has been awarded.
- Applications are reviewed by an external selection committee composed of scholars in the history of art and related disciplines. Individuals currently affiliated with the National Gallery of Art are not eligible for the postdoctoral fellowship program.
- The award for both the A. W. Mellon and the Beinecke Postdoctoral Fellowships is $50,000 per year. The fellows also receive allowances for travel, in addition to housing, as available.
For more details and to apply online, please visit the official website