Opportunities for Women in the Armed Forces
by Tanvi Sharma
Women in Armed Forces
There are many opportunities for Women in Armed Forces - As women today stand equivalent to men in every field of life so why not defence. Gone are those days when armed forces were only associated with men, now women equally participate in serving their country by joining armed forces but the question arises for which armed forces women candidates are eligible .
The Indian Armed Forces are the federal military forces of the Union of Republic of India. It consists of four professional uniformed services: The Indian Army, Indian Navy, Indian Air Force and Indian Coast Guard. So here is a complete detail of women eligibility for armed forces.
Indian Army Entry Schemes for Women
In 1992, an important landmark in the history of Indian Army was the induction of women into the officer cadre, and the onerous task of training them was undertaken by the Officers Training Academy. So far, more than 1200 Lady officers have already been commissioned into the various Arms and Services of the Indian Army. You should be a graduate to apply.
Revised Terms and Conditions of Service of SSCOs (Men and Women both Technical and Non-Technical)
Prominent features of the revised policy are :
- Extension of Tenure
- Tenure of Short Service Commission. Short Service Commission (SSC), in the Regular Army will be granted for 14 years i.e. for an initial period of 10 years, extendable by four years.
- Duration of Training 49 weeks.
- Substantive Promotion: SSCOs will be eligible for substantive promotion.
- To the rank of Capt - on completion of two years reckonable commissioned service.
- To the rank of Maj - on completion of six years reckonable commissioned service.
- To the rank of Lt Col - on completion of 13 years reckonable commissioned service.
Combined Defence Services Exam
The Combined Defence Services (CDS) Examination is conducted twice a year by the Union Public Service Commission for recruitment into the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Officers Training Academy (OTA), Indian Naval Academy (INA)and Indian Air Force Academy(AFA).
WOMEN ELIGIBILITY: Girls are only eligible for Officers Training Academy (OTA).The other three the IMA-Indian Military Academy , AFA-Air force Academy and the NA-Naval Academy, are only boys
NCC Special entry:
You can write the NCC Special entry exam if you are a NCC Women Cadet and the qualification needed is that the candidate should have 19-25 years of age and the education qualification needed is that the candidate must have completed a Degree with 50% aggregate.
This entry is mainly for the Law Graduates as the candidate who has an age limit between 21-27 years of age and also having the education qualification of completed LLB degree is eligible for applying for this exam.
Entry Scheme Women: Graduate UPSC
Short Service Commission Non Technical Women (SSCW Non Tech)
It is notified by UPSC under the aegis of CDSE in July and November.
Age limit 19 years to 25 years, the candidate must be a graduate from a qualified university of unmarried status.
Application: Apply online on UPSC website as per dates given in the notifications in the months of July and November. The dates for SSB would be likely in June, July and Nov, Dec.
Training for the same will commence in October and April. Training Academy - OTA Chennai, Duration of Training - 49 weeks
Entry Schemes Women – Graduate Tech Entries
Short Service Commission (Technical) Women
It is notified by the Directorate General Recruiting, AG Branch in June, July, December and January.
Age limit is 20 to 27 years, and must be of unmarried status.
Candidate needs to have an engineering degree.
Application: Apply online on Official website of DG Rtg www.joinindianarmy.nic.in as Notified in the Notification.
The dates for the SSB would be in Dec-Jan and June-July. Training usually commences in April and October.
Training Academy - OTA Chennai, Duration of Training – 49 weeks
Opportunities for Women in Air Force
Air Force Common Admission Test (AFCAT) is a written exam conducted by Indian Air Force twice every year to induct officers in the IAF. The written exam is followed by Air Force Selection Board Interview for shortlisted candidates.
WOMEN ELIGIBILITY: The air force entry is possible for the girls through the AFCAT-Air Force Common Admission. The candidates should be a graduate from any stream with physics and Maths in 10+2.
Female candidates who want to fly high in the sky or dream to be an Air Warrior of IAF then they have to clear an exam named AFCAT. AFCAT stands for Air Force Common Admission Test. It is held twice in a year. It is a written exam and those who qualify in this exam are called for SSB interview. You can opt for the following branches by AFCAT exam:
Women candidates of age 19 to 23 years (as per notified in the advertisement) can opt for flying branch. Female candidates have the opportunity to fly transport aircrafts or helicopters but they are not eligible for fighter aircrafts.
To apply for this entry, a candidate should be having a Graduate degree in any discipline from a recognized university with aggregate of 60% marks and have passed Maths and Physics at 10+2 level OR B.E/B.Tech degree from a recognized university with aggregate of minimum 60% marks
Female engineering candidates of age 18 to 28 years can opt for technical branch. There are two types of technical service whose educational qualification conditions are given below:
- Aeronautical Engineer (Mechanical): Minimum four year degree course from a recognized university with aggregate of minimum 60% marks and qualification in at least eight subjects out of eighteen as per notified in the advertisement OR cleared Section A and B exam of Associate membership of Institution of engineers or Aeronautical society of India in regular courses
- Aeronautical Engineer (Electrical): Minimum year degree course from a recognized university with aggregate of minimum 60% marks and qualification in at least eight subjects as per notified in the advertisement OR cleared Section A and B exam of Associate membership of Institution of engineers or Aeronautical society of India or graduate membership exam of the Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers in regular courses
Ground Duty Branches:
Those who want to opt for the ground duty branches, the age requirements are different.
For graduates: 20 to 23 years, Post Graduates: 20 to 25 years, LLB: 20 to 26 years, M.Ed/ PhD/ CA: 20 to 27 years.
There are three types of services in Ground Duty Branches whose educational qualification conditions are given below:
- Administration and Logistics:Graduate in any discipline from a recognized university with aggregate of 60% marks OR a Post Graduate degree/ diploma in any discipline from a recognized university with aggregate of minimum 60% marks
- Education: Post Graduate degree in any discipline with aggregate of minimum 50% marks
- Accounts: Graduate degree in any commerce with aggregate of minimum 60% marks OR a Post Graduate degree/ diploma in Commerce (M Com) / CA / ICWA with aggregate of minimum 50% marks
Meteorology Branch: In this entry, candidates are short-listed and called for SSB interviews at Air Force Selection Board. Age group in this entry is 20 to 25 years and 27 years for PhD candidates.
To be eligible for this entry candidates must be having a Post graduate degree in any science stream / Maths / Statistics / Geography / CS / EVS / Physics / Geo-physics etc. with minimum 50% aggregate and have scores 55% marks both in Maths and Physics at graduation level. Final year students can also apply for it.
Indian Navy Women Entry Schemes
Presently the women are recruited for following branches of the Navy as Officers :-
- Naval Architecture
Type of Entry for women in Navy
Short Service Commissioned Officer Under University Entry Scheme (UES):The women candidates who has an age limit of 19-25 years of age and the education qualification of completed B.E/B.Tech degree in naval architecture / Mechanical / Civil / Aeronautical / Metallurgical / Aerospace engineering with aggregate of 60% are eligible.
SSC Naval Architecture: The candidate appearing for this exam should have 21-25 years of age and the education qualification needed is that the candidate should have completed B.E/B.Tech in Computer Science, IT, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical OR M.Sc in Physics/Maths/Computer application with atleast 50% marks.
SC - ATC: The candidate appearing for this exam should have 19 - 25 years of age and the education qualification needed is that the candidate should have completed B.E/ B.Tech (Any Discipline) with 60% marks from a recognized University/ Institution with Maths & Physics at 10+2 level.
SSC - Observer: The candidate appearing for this exam should have 19-24 years of age and the education qualification needed is that the candidate should have completed B.E/ B.Tech in any discipline with minimum 55 % marks from a recognized University/ Institution with Maths & Physics at 10+2 level.
Age limit -19 - 25
- B.Tech/ B.E (Any Discipline)
- MBA with First Class
- B.Sc/ B.Com/B.Sc(IT) with First Class and a Post Graduate Diploma in Material Management/ Finance/ Logistics/ Supply Chain Management.
M.Sc (Hotel Management)/ MBA (Hotel Management)/ BSc or BA with First Class and a Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management.
Age limit: 21 - 25
- B.E/ B.Tech/ M.Tech in IT/ Computer Science Engg / Electrical & Electronics/ Electronics & Telecommunication/ Electronics & Instrumentation / Mechanical /Electronics and Communication/ Instrumentation/ Telecommunication.
- M.Sc (Maths) with Physics in B.Sc / M.Sc (Physics) with Maths in B.Sc / M.Sc (Operational Research)/ M.Sc (Analysis).
- MCA (Physics or Maths at Graduation Level).
- M.A (English) / M.A (history).
Also See: Indian Army Entrance Exams 2019 2020
Women in Indian Coast Guard
Women are recruited in Coast Guard only as officers in General duty, General Duty (Pilot / Navigation) and General Duty (CPL Holders, Short Service entry) branches. The selection process for women is similar to that of male candidates.
Assistant Commandant (GD)-SSA
General Duty (Short Service Appointment for a period of 08 years, which may be extended to 10 years and further extendable upto 14 years) 21-25 years of Age (5 years relaxation for SC/ST and 3 years for OBC) Bachelor's Degree in any discipline of any recognized university by any Central / State Government / UGC with Mathematics and Physics as subjects upto class XII of 10+2+3 scheme of education
Height 152cms, Weight Proportionate to Height, Eye sight 6/6 & 6/9 without glasses
General Duty Branch (Pilot - Commercial Pilot License - Short Service Appointment for a period of 08 years, which may be extended to 10 years and further expandable upto 14 years)
19-25 years (5 years relaxation for SC/ST and 3 years for OBC)
12th or equivalent and should possess current Commercial Pilot License on the date of submission of application.
Height Min 162.5 cms Max 197 cm, Leg Length Min 99 cms, Weight Proportionate to Height, Eye sight 6/6 without glasses.
Assistant Commandant (Law)
21-30 years (5 years relaxation for Govt. servant)
(i) A degree in Law Desirable
(i) A postgraduate degree in Law.
(ii) Knowledge / Experience Assignment connected with International Law/Maritime Law
Height 157 cm/152cm(M/F) Weight Proportionate to Height, Eye sight 6/6 and 6/12 (with glass), 6/60 (without glass)