What is AI?
We humans can observe, learn, and adapt. The branch of computer science, which allows machines to do a similar process, is known as Artificial Intelligence (AI). Any system that mimics human intelligence utilizes artificial intelligence technologies is concerned with AI.
It can be said that AI is the simulation of human intelligence processes by machines, especially computer systems. The AI-enabled machines can acquire information from the environment, assimilate it to form rules, and reach conclusions without any human intervention.
There are lots of examples of AI-based utilities in our daily lives. Few of them are as follows:
- Google search results are based on AI algorithms. We all use them but do not realize the role of AI behind the screens.
- All those marketing emails from companies like Swiggy, LinkedIn are the result of AI technologies.
- All your social media feeds, advertisements on websites and YouTube occur with the help of Artificial Intelligence systems.
- Voice searches, home security systems, Google’s home assistant, and Amazon’s Alexa are various applications of AI technology.
- AI, when combined with robotics, can reduce costs and increase work efficiency.
- They also play a crucial role in strategic decision making in the fields of Economics, Medicine, and even environmental policies.
- New advanced transportation systems like self-drive cars are a possibility because of the underlying AI technologies.
AI is going to play an important role in the future of businesses and Industries and they feel that, and adopting it is indispensable for their growth. So, let us first know in detail about this trending technology.
Types of Artificial Intelligence
AI has been in use in academia for more than sixty years now. But with advancements in internet technology and their easy accessibility through mobile phone, the AI technology can grow more rapidly than ever before. Currently, there are different types of AI-based on the complexity levels. They are as follows:
- Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI): Here, the systems learn and perform single tasks. Speech recognition technologies, voice assistants like Cortana, Alexa are examples of this type.
- Artificial General Intelligence (AGI): Here, the system can do various tasks and can learn and improve further.
- Artificial Super Intelligence (ASI): It is an advanced stage where the machine’s ability can surpass that of the human brain.
Also see: JEE Main 2020 Exam Pattern
Subjects in an AI course
All the above information might excite you. So, if you are looking forward to learning AI as your core skill, then you should know the subjects that you would be learning in your course. First of all, one should be well at science, math, and programming to enter the field of artificial intelligence. You even need to know subjects like psychology, physiology of nervous system for designing an AI-based system. The various subjects one has to study the following subjects at an Artificial Intelligence UG course:
- Data Structures
- R Programming
- Big Data
- Data mining
The list above is small. The field is evolving rapidly, and new subjects are added. So, one has to update regularly.
Also see: Tips to get a high rank in JEE Main exam
Colleges offering AI courses in India
Artificial Intelligence has emerged as one of the most sought after skill-sets that companies look for in potential candidates. So, many colleges have started to offer undergraduate courses specializing in this field.
Here are the top ten colleges in AI courses at the bachelor’s degree level.
- IIT Hyderabad – B.Tech. In Artificial Intelligence
- Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Delhi – B.Tech in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence
- IIIT-Naya Raipur – B.Tech in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
- Great Lakes International University – B.Tech Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning
- GH Raisoni College – B.Tech. In Artificial Intelligence
- Sharda University – B. Tech in Computer Science (Artificial Learning and Machine Learning)
- Jain University – B.Tech. in Computer Science and Technology (Artificial Intelligence)
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham – B. Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering (Artificial Intelligence)
- SAGE University – B.Tech in Artificial Intelligence
- Amity University – Integrated B.Tech. + M.Tech. in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
Students who are interested in the field should also take up online courses in AI from Edx and Coursera. One should also use platforms like Github, Kaggle, and start programming.
Job Prospects for Artificial Intelligence graduates
Artificial Intelligence is a field that has a shortage of talents. Though the subjects are hard and require patience like that of a research scientist, jobs with attractive incentives are many. You can also try out different types of jobs too. One can be employed as:
- Software analysts and developers
- Computer scientists and computer engineers
- Algorithm specialists
- Research scientists and engineering consultants
- Mechanical engineers and maintenance technicians
- Manufacturing and electrical engineers
- Surgical technicians working with robotic tools.]
- Medical health professionals working with artificial limbs, prosthetics, hearing aids, and vision restoration devices
- Military and aviation electricians working with flight simulators, drones, and armaments
- Graphic art designers, digital musicians, entertainment producers, textile manufacturers, and architects
- Post-secondary professors at technical and trade schools, vocational centers, and universities
Artificial Intelligence Engineer salary
The AI industry is growing at a rapid rate, and we have an acute shortage of qualified and skilled people in this area. The average salary in AI industry is Rs 14.3 lakhs. The entry-level salary is six lakhs onwards, and it can go up to 50 lakhs per annum at the senior levels.
Also See :