IIT JEE Main Chemistry Syllabus – JEE Main entrance exam for admission to B.E. / B.Tech. comprises of three subjects – Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. Candidates should cover the syllabus of class 11 and 12 thoroughly. Here we have compiled a list of topics in Chemistry that form a part of the syllabus of JEE Main Chemistry paper. The topics are as follows-
Some Basic Concepts in Chemistry: Matter and its nature, Dalton’s atomic theory, Concept of atom, molecule, element and compound, Physical quantities and their measurement in Chemistry, precision and accuracy, significant figures, S.I units, dimensional analysis, laws of chemical combination, Atomic and molecular masses mole concept, molar mass, percentage composition, empirical and molecular formulae, chemical equations and stoichiometry.
States of Matter: Classification of matter into solid, liquid and gaseous states.
- Measurable properties of gases: Gas laws- Boyle’s law, Charle’s law, Graham’s law of diffusion, Avogadro’s law, Dalton’s law of partial pressure, concept of hybridization involving s, p and d orbitals; Resonance.
- Molecular Orbital Theory: Its important features, LCAOs, types of molecular orbitals (bonding, antibonding) sigma and pi bonds, molecular orbital electronic configurations of homonuclear diatomic molecules, concept of bond order, bond length and bond energy.
- Elementary idea of metallic bonding. Hydrogen bonding and its applications.
- Chemical Thermodynamics:
- Fundamentals of thermodynamics: System and surroundings, extensive and intensive properties, state functions, types of processes.
- First law of thermodynamics– Concept of work, heat internal energy and enthalpy, heat capacity, molar heat capacity: Hess’s law of constant heat summation: Enthalpies of bond dissociation etc.
- Classification of Elements and Periodicity in progress: Modem periodic law and present form of the periodic table s,p,d and f block elements, periodic trends in properties of elements atomic and ionic radii, ionization enthalpy, electron gain enthalpy etc.
- General Principles and processes of isolation of metals: Modes of occurrence of elements in nature, minerals, ores, steps involved in the extraction of metals- concentration, reduction (Chemical and electrolytic methods) and refining with special reference to the extraction of AI, CU, Zn and Fe. Thermodynamic and electrochemical principles involved in the extraction of metals.
- Hydrogen: Position of hydrogen in periodic table, isotopes, preparation, properties and uses of hydrogen, physical and chemical properties of water and heavy water, structure, preparation, reactions and uses of hydrogen peroxide, classification of hybrids – ionic, covalent and interstitial: Hydrogen as a fuel.
Block Elements (Alkali and Alkaline earth metals): Group-1 and 2 Elements
- General introduction, electronic configuration and general trends in physical and chemical properties of elements, anomalous properties of the first element of each group, diagonal relationships.
- Preparation and properties of some important compounds, sodium carbonate and sodium hydroxide lime, limestone, plaster of Paris and cement, biological significance of Na, K, Mg and Ca.
Note: for more details please check the syllabus notification
- JEE Main Physics syllabus
- JEE Main Mathematics Syllabus
- Top 100 Engineering colleges in India- Latest rankings for 2021 examinations
- Tips to get high JEE Main AIR Ranking
- Sure shot tips to crack JEE Main Exam
- NTA announces JEE Main 2021 dates
- List of Qualifying Exams JEE Mains