By Vaibhav Hulsure
Ph.D. in Computer Science – Universities offering PhD in Computer science, Fee, Job Opportunities and Salary
A Ph.D. in Computer Science course is sought after because Computer Science is the latest field of study. As technology in Computer Science is being updated at a fast pace, one needs to be an expert in the field of Computer Science so that one can be a part of the evolving process. Doctor of Philosophy or Ph.D. is the highest degree offered by any University in a course of study. The candidate applying for a Ph.D. in CS should hold an Honours degree or be a Master’s degree holder. There are numerous fields in which a Ph.D. can be done. In this article, we will discuss the Ph.D. in Computer Science Course and its scope.
Ph.D. in Computer Science Course
Computer Science is a field that is in great demand amongst the students. Computer Science plays a major role in almost every field and industry. There are many Ph.D. programs offered by various Universities in India and students who wish to enter highly specialized computer science fields or teach in colleges generally pursue this course. The course generally takes 4-5 years for completion. Once the degree is acquired, it opens doors to high-level academic positions. Ph.D. in Computer Science has distinct advantages. It allows an individual to do more independent, design-based work. The companies offer a high-paying job to doctorates. They are given a top-ranking position. Some may start their own research-based companies too.
Those of you who are still making up their minds whether to opt for a PhD degree or not, please read this to check out the advantages of doing a PhD.
Ph.D. in Computer Science Eligibility
Following is the eligibility criteria to apply for a Ph.D. in Computer Science course:
- Students who wish to pursue a Ph.D. in computer science need to have a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in computer science or a related field. Those with a master’s degree need to complete sixty credit hours worth of coursework, while those starting from a bachelor’s degree will need to complete around ninety on an average.
- Students will also need to complete their research dissertation and present their findings before graduating from the given program.
- To become eligible for course, the candidate should have completed post-graduation in the respective subjects. For some universities, the candidate must have completed the M.Phil Degree. For the general category, the candidate must have 55% marks in PG and for reserved it is 45% to 50%. Post-graduation must be completed from a government recognized Institute.
- Candidates who have completed BE or B.Tech. in Engineering and Master’s degree in Science, Maths, IT, ICT, Computer Science or MCA can apply for the course.
- There should be no backlog in any course at the time of taking admission.
- Reserved candidates need to submit cast certificates and other documents in the admission process to get benefits as per their category.
- Some Institutes give admission in Ph.D. in Computer Science on the basis of the Common Entrance Test like CSIR NET.
Top Universities Offering Ph.D. in Computer Science In India
There are numerous Universities offering a Ph.D. in Computer Science but the top-ranked are mentioned below:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- University of Hyderabad
- University of Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
There are other famous Universities for Ph.D. in CS which offer this course and have good faculty. They are as follows:
- AJK College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Al-Falah University, Faridabad, Haryana
- Assam University
- Awadhesh Pratap Singh University, Rewa, Madhya Pradesh
- Bharati Vidyapeeth, Pune, Maharashtra
- Christ University, Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Presidency College, Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS Pilani), Rajasthan
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi
- College of Engineering (COEP), Pune, Maharashtra
Also see: Top PhD entrance exams in India
Fees structure of Ph.D. in Computer Science courses
There are many universities in India that offer a Ph.D. course in Computer Science. Some reputed universities conduct their own entrance tests for admission to Ph.D. in Computer Science course. Fees for the PhD course varies from university to university. For some universities, fess might be more than 1lac or 2 lac per year, but while pursuing Ph.D., students also get a stipend of around 15K to 25K Rs per month.
The Ph.D. in Computer Science course fees range from Rs.10,000 to Rs.2.75 Lacs across various colleges and universities in the country. Fees for PhD varies as per universities like deemed, Private and government universities.
Part-time Ph.D. in Computer Science
Many institutes also offer a part-time course in Ph.D. in CS to students. This is beneficial for those who want to study and continue their regular work along with it. This can improve career prospects significantly. Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) located in Pune, Maharashtra is amongst the popular Universities that offer this part-time course. Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar is another excellent place to pursue this Part – time Ph.D. in Computer Science course.
Job Opportunities and Salary After Computer Science Ph.D.
After completing the Ph.D. course there are ample job opportunities available and career ranges from professors and information consultants to game developers. The starting salary of a Ph.D. in Computer Science ranges from INR 60000 to 150000 per month in India. Any industry which involves the use of computer technology needs trained professionals to handle data analysis, programming and technology development. These professionals should be organized, tech-savvy, and able to work in teams or independently. They should boast excellent written and spoken communication skills, a motivated self-starter mentality, and the willingness to learn new skills as the field progresses. Reliable and well-trained professionals with these traits and an online doctorate in computer science can find satisfying work with high earning potential.
Ph.D. in computer science is one of the highest levels of education related to computer technology. A person with a doctorate in computer science normally works at higher positions in the Research and Development department of any technology company. Also, many computer science Ph.D. holders are working as a professor in top Institutes like IIT, NIT or prestigious universities like Cambridge University, Harvard University.
There are many examples of Computer science Ph.D. holders who are working as Computer Scientists with the top technology companies like Google, Amazon, and Facebook. The salary of a computer scientist in such companies ranges from 30 lac to 3 crore INR per annum.
Also, there are job profiles of Computer Network Architect or Computer System Engineer in big technology companies with a very high salary package.
Most of the Computer Science Ph.D. level private jobs are available in europian countries, especially in the United States. In India, Professor in top universities is the most popular job for Computer Science Ph.D. holder.
Different job openings for Ph.D. in Computer Science and Ph.D. in Computer Science Salary are described below:
- Hardware engineer: The work involves developing and improving computer parts to maximize operational efficiency. The salary ranges from Rs. 2.75 Lacs to Rs. 3.35 Lacs per month.
- Information research scientist: The job profile includes finding different ways and methods in which computer technology can be used to solve day to day problems in an effective manner. The salary ranges from Rs. 3.14 Lacs to Rs. 3.48 Lacs per month.
- Software developer: The job involves various programming and development of software that can help users to interact in an easy and effective manner. The salary ranges from Rs. 3.8 Lacs to Rs. 4.10 Lacs.
- Website Developer: They have the job of website creation and its maintenance. The salary ranges from Rs. 2.94 Lacs to Rs. 3.46 Lacs.
- Network Engineer: They work on the efficiency of the network protocols to ensure smooth flow information via a communication channel. The salary ranges from Rs. 3.16 Lacs to Rs. 3.32 Lacs.
- Professor in college: As professors, Ph.D. in Computer Science holders are involved in the teaching job. Their salary ranges from Rs. 1.75 Lacs to Rs. 2.5 Lacs per month.
Pursuing a Ph.D. in Computer Science is worth it with respect to growth in career. The graduates can achieve their goals and gain immense success in the future.