Reading Comprehension Test 9 for CUET 2023 Aspirants
Read the passage given below.
1. “Who doesn’t know how to cook rice? Cooking rice hardly takes time.” said my father. So, I challenged myself. I switched from news to YouTube and typed, “How to cook rice?” I took one and a half cups of rice. Since I didn’t have access to a rice cooker, I put the rice in a big pot. Firstly, the rice has to be washed to get rid of dust and starch. I thought I won’t be able to drain the rice and that it will fall out of the pot. I observed the chef as I swirled the rice around and used my dexterous hands to drain it, not once, not twice, but three times. I looked down at the sink and saw less than 50 grains that made their way out of the pot. Suffice to say, I was up to the mark.
2. The video stated that the key to perfect rice is equal amounts of rice and water. I have heard that professionals don’t need to measure everything; they just know what the right amount is. But as this was my first time in the kitchen, I decided to experiment by not measuring the water needed for boiling the rice. I wanted the rice to be firm when bitten, just like pasta. I don’t enjoy the texture of mushy rice. It has to have that chutzpah; it has to resist my biting power just for a bit before disintegrating.
3. After what seemed like 10 minutes, all the water disappeared. I went in to give it a good stir. To my surprise, some of the rice got stuck to the pot. I tried to scrape it off but to no avail. At the same time, there was a burning smell coming from it. I quickly turned the stove off. “What have you done to the kitchen?” shouted Mother, while coming towards the kitchen. I managed to ward her off.
4. Finally, when the time came to taste my creation, I was surprised! It wasn’t bad at all. The rice had the desired consistency. Sure, a little more salt would’ve been better, but I just added that while eating. The experience was fairly rewarding and memorable. It taught me a new sense of respect for those who cook food on a regular basis at home or engage in gourmet creations professionally.
On the basis of your understanding of the above passage, answer ANY TEN questions from the eleven given below.
Also Check out Related CUET English Reading Comprehension Test Links
CUET English Reading Comprehension Test 1
CUET English Reading Comprehension Test 2
CUET English Reading Comprehension Test 3
CUET English Reading Comprehension Test 4
CUET English Reading Comprehension Test 5
CUET English Reading Comprehension Test 6
CUET English Reading Comprehension Test 7
CUET English Reading Comprehension Test 8
CUET English Reading Comprehension Test 10
CUET Languages MCQs
- English Comprehension Passage Tests for Practice
- English Grammar Determiners MCQs
- English Grammar Modals MCQs
- English Grammar Reported Speech MCQs
- English Grammar Subject Verb Agreement MCQs
- English Grammar Tenses MCQs