Hospital Management is a new concept in the field of management. It is the course that covers all the subjects related to business administration, public health, and the healthcare industry. It prepares the candidates to manage the administration of any healthcare institute or hospital. They ensure the effective use of physical and financial resources of the hospital which is essential to manage hospitals and medical facilities.
Best Hospital Management Courses in India
|Bachelor of Hospital Management/Administration||3-year full time||Rs.8000- 5 Lacs||10+2 with 55% marks|
|Master of Hospital Administration,|
MBA in Hospital Management/Administration
M.Sc in Hospital Administration
|2-year full time||Rs 1 lac to 7 lacs||Graduation with 55 % marks|
|Diploma in hospital administration||1 year||Rs 70,000 to 1 lac||10+2 pass|
|PGD in Hospital Management/Administration |
PGD in Hospital and Health Management
|2 year||7 lac||Graduation with 55 % marks|
|Ph.D. in Hospital Administration||3 year||2,000 to 3 lacs||Masters degree|
Any candidate with a medical or even a non-medical background can pursue a career in Hospital Administration/Management. There are different colleges offering Bachelor, Master, Doctoral, Diploma, Certificate, and Correspondence courses in Hospital Management.
List of Hospital Management courses After 12th and Graduation
1. Bachelor Courses
Bachelor of Hospital Management/Administration is a 3 years full-time course divided into 6 semesters. The course fee ranges from Rs.8000- 5 Lacs depending on the college and the marks obtained in the entrance exam.
- Students should have completed 10+2 from a recognized board.
- The student must have obtained 55% or above marks in 10+2 and should have biology as one of the major subjects.
- The admission is on the basis of marks obtained in 10+2 and through entrance exams like CET, Xavier Aptitude Test, Common Admission Test, Management Aptitude Test.
- The exam is followed by an interview to review the communication skills, English Language, managerial ability, and computer skills of the candidate.
2. Master Course
The master course is of 2 years duration and has 4 semesters. The course fee ranges from Rs1 to 7 Lacs. The various degrees offered are Master of Hospital Administration, MBA in Hospital Management/Administration, MBA in Healthcare management and M.Sc in Hospital Administration.
- Graduation in any stream with at least 50% marks.
- The candidate should have qualified in any of the entrance exams like CAT, XAT, MAT or GMAT.
- The admission is on the basis of merit in the entrance examinations.
- Institutes like AIIMS and AFMC allow admission only to those students who have an MBBS degree.
3. Diploma Course
The diploma in hospital administration is a 1-year course. The course fee is around Rs.70,000-1 Lac for the entire course.
- The candidate should have passed 10+2 from a recognized board or university.
4. PG Diploma
This is a two-year full-time course. The degrees offered are PGD in Hospital Management/Administration and PGD in Hospital and Health Management. The course fee is approximately Rs.7 Lacs.
- Graduate from any stream with a minimum of 50% of marks.
- Should have qualified in any of the national entrance exams like CAT, MAT, CMAT, XAT, GMAT, and ATMA.
- The admission is on the basis of merit in the entrance exams.
- Once shortlisted, the candidate is called for a personal interview to review the communication skills of the candidate.
5. Doctoral Degree
The Ph.D. in Hospital Administration is a 3-year course. The course fees is Rs.2000 to Rs.3 Lacs.
- Master’s degree or MBA in hospital administration with an aggregate of 55% from a recognized university.
- Should qualify entrance tests like PET, NET, etc.
- The admission is based on merit basis.
- After clearing the entrance exams, the candidate is called for a personal interview and reviewed.
6. Certificate Courses
There are many institutes that provide certificate courses in Hospital Management. The course duration is 30 hours to 14 months depending on the institutes offering the course. Some universities offer certificate courses online. The course fee ranges from Rs.25,000 to Rs.50,000.
- Any graduate degree from a recognized university.
- Doctors, Administrative officers, HOD, section heads, or any candidate working in the healthcare sector.
Best Institutions for Hospital Management
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Birla Institute of Technology, Pilani, Rajasthan
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
- Symbiosis Centre of Health Care, Pune
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
- Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai
- Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Management, Kolkatta
- Nizam Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad
- Faculty of Management Studies (FMS), Delhi University
- Indian Institute of Health, Jaipur
- The Apollo Hospitals all around the country
- Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi
Hospital Management Career, Scope, and Salary
There are plenty of job opportunities after pursuing hospital management courses. The demand for management professionals is increasing rapidly in the healthcare industry. Before, the head of the institute used to take care of the administrative part of the hospital along with the patients. But, now, there are specialists who take care of the administrative section.
The candidates can find employment in hospitals, healthcare organizations, health insurance companies, colleges, universities, nursing homes, pharmaceuticals, medical software companies, healthcare portals, and hospital consulting firms. They can work at various designations in various institutes.
1. Medical Affairs Manager: They build brand strategy and develop medical plans and review the documents for marketing purposes. They train the on-field sales executives. Their average annual salary ranges from Rs.1.5 -2 Lacs.
2. Clinical Project Manager: They play a major role in running organizations effectively. They constantly evaluate staff performances, train them, and resolve all the administrative issues. Their average annual income is around Rs.8.5 Lacs.
3. Chief Nursing Officer: They play a major role in assisting the directors of the institute to make the best strategies beneficial for the functioning of the hospital. They look after the daily activities of the hospital and also manage the nursing operations. The average annual salary ranges from Rs.9-10 Lacs.
4. Healthcare Finance Managers: They work under the CFO of the institute and are responsible for the various financial operations taking place in the hospital. They look after the budgets, finance, and cost-efficient working of the hospital. Their salary is around Rs.9 Lacs annually.
5. Health Director: Health Director plays an important role in making strategies for the smooth functioning of the hospital. He works with the leaders of the organization and is the face of the institute. The salary ranges from Rs.7.8-8 Lacs per annum.
6. Administrator: An administrator controls, organizes, and coordinates the services of the institution as per the guidelines. He also assists in the recruitment and managing budgets. The annual salary ranges from Rs.5.5-6 Lacs.
7. Hospital CFO: The Chief Financial Officer of the hospital is in charge of the financial department and ensures the cost-effective running of the institute. He plans and manages all the financial aspects of the hospital. The salary depends upon the experience and ranges from Rs.15-34 Lacs per annum.
8. Hospital CEO: He is the head of the institution and all the major decisions are taken by him. He looks after the overall development of the institutions and is responsible for the smooth functioning of the hospital. They are very well paid based on their experience and their salary ranges from Rs.50 Lacs-9 Cr annually.
After seeing the scope of Hospital Management, many students are opting for this as their career choice. It is the best career choice for candidates who have good managerial skills and can work under pressure. It is the field that has to be managed in the right way.