List of Top 10 Online Interior Design Courses
Interior designing is an art and science in which the interior spaces can be turned into an effective environment as per the choice and comfort of an individual. There are many free interior designer courses available online. People who have a creative mind but cannot go out to study in colleges can benefit from these courses sitting at home. So, here you will get to know how to learn Interior Designing at home. There are many courses available for free but they are not affiliated to any schools. However, they give a basic knowledge about interior designing. There are videos and online software tools available to make the course easier.
There are so many courses available online for interior designing. Some are good and effective as well. Also, some websites provide Interior Design Courses online for free.
A list of top online courses in Interior Design is mentioned below:
- Autodesk Homestyler – This course allows the students to learn techniques to place doors and windows in floor plans. This software is supported by Windows. There are video presentations by interior designers which help in better understanding. Students have access to tip sheets for design ideas and paint colors.
- Home and Garden Television – This website offers basic knowledge of design topics like selection of furniture, color scheme, and selecting between traditional and contemporary designs. The fundamentals of Feng Shui, color theory, and fabrics are described in detail. The Design 101 sections is full of information for interior designing.
- Decorating Studio – This is a 6-lesson course developed by a member of ASID i.e. American Society of Interior Designers. There are practice exercises and students can learn about various colours and home decoration through text and pictures.
- Principles of Design course by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology – MIT offers free classes through Open Course Ware (OCW). The principle of Design is a course which deals with advanced design theories. The students need to complete assignments related to historic periods.
- Daylighting by Massachusetts Institute of Technology – It explains the use of daylighting and electric lighting in interior designing. The student has to submit a final design project.
- Design Thinking by Open University – It is a 10-hour introductory course. It can be easily downloaded. The students can learn about the principles of symmetry, repetition, structure, and proportion.
- People-Centered Designing by Open University – It is a 12-hour introductory course. It focuses mainly on product designs. It also gives information about the design of rooms, buildings, appliances, and furniture.
- Sweet Home 3D – It allows the student to draw house plans and arrange the furniture inside. The results are seen in 3D. There are user guides and video tutorials available.
- Howcast course – The interior designing courses offered by Howcast give a general introduction about interior designing. The videos are short and advisable. It will not make anyone expert but will surely help to tackle the room decor.
- Houzz: A Decor Community – It is a visually-oriented site. There are many photos that act as inspiration. There are many blog posts that explain designs. There are also tours of the well-designed houses.
How to learn interior designing from home?
Many people wish to pursue distance education for interior designing. There are many online interior design courses to study from home that can help in learning the basics of the course. One can become a good interior designer on the basis of their talent and creativity. There is no need for a degree or any professional course.
There are some educational portals that provide the guidelines:
It covers the introductory topics in interior designing. The course is titled Interior Design Basics and Principles.
This helps in mastering the technical skills which are enough to start designing projects.
It keeps the learner updated with the latest trends in interior designing.
There are blogs on topics like coloring and design ideas, house renovations, etc.
There are many blogs and valuable information available on these websites. The learner needs to use one or more design software for creating a design. The learner should have knowledge of a few applications like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, AutoCAD Design Suite. An interior designer should have good communication and listening skills. It is very important to understand the client’s desires and to work accordingly.
In case one desires to enrol into an online Interior Design course which gives a certificate on completion, then here is a list of such courses.
Interior Design Courses online with certificate
There are two types of certificate courses available in interior designing, as follows:
- Formal Education Certificate Program
Most interior designing jobs need a bachelor’s degree. But in some areas a formal education certificate program can also work. The certificate programs are usually for professionals who have completed degree course in interior designing. The online certificate courses in Interior design are voluntary and professionals earn certification by expertise in a particular area like kitchen designing or bathroom designing. Most certificate programs help in specializing in a particular aspect of interior designing. They are of shorter duration than a degree course. The students have to pass an exam to earn the certificate. Some professional organizations that offer certificates are the American Society of Interior Designers, the International Interior Design Association, and the National Kitchen and Bath Association.
- Computer-aided design (CAD)
This is another online certification course in interior design for people who want to develop their careers as interior designers. Many technical interior designing works need the use of CAD software and tools. Hence, earning this certification can make the resume strong. This certification program is for professionals and students who want to obtain formal education about interior designing. They have to fulfill some eligibility criteria which are mostly similar to that of other certificate programs. The American Design Drafting Association compulsorily wants the candidate to pass the Drafter Certification Test and then only the professional certificate is granted. This certificate in CAD is also offered by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges.
Interior design professionals are skilled at making offices, homes, restaurants, retail environments, and other spaces functional and appealing. Designers are specialized in certain areas like residential buildings or commercial buildings, and they can also receive professional accreditation for such specialties as kitchens, bathrooms, and healthcare facilities. Most interior designers are either employed by an architecture or design firm, or they’re self-employed. When working for a company that offers interior design services, the clientele will be generated by the company, but when working as a sole proprietor, interior designers must have a strong network and must find new ways to make professional connections. The reputation is the key to success in this industry. So it is very important to have a follow-up with the client after completion of the project.
Top 10 websites for Online Education – Explore Online Learning Platforms
IGNOU Courses – List of IGNOU Online, Distance Learning Courses
Symbiosis Online Courses | Distance Courses in Symbiosis
Architecture Career Scope, Eligibility and Job Prospects