Architecture Career Scope, Eligibility and Job Prospects
Architects are the magicians behind the magic of aesthetically and beautifully designed buildings. What today is considered as one of the most chic professions is one that has definitely come a long way. While capitalism has given the industry an unseen push, it has also brought awareness to consider towards building a greener planet. Career in architecture is not only well paying but also gets the creative juices flowing. One needs to keep the requirements the client or target audience in mind and in the process mold each idea according to their needs and requirements.
Remember that it is the because of the creative ideas of some that we have buildings such as the Burj-al-Arab in Dubai, Taiwan 101 in Taipei, Red Pepper House in Kenya and numerous other architectural marvels. It is up to the architect to convert his architectural design into reality and design it such that the structural aspects can be implemented practically.
For one to be applicable to apply for undergraduate programmes for studying architecture, one must have passed the higher secondary school certificate, i.e. the Class XII examination with science subject such as biology, maths and chemistry. The bachelor’s degree is usually four years long.
If the student is interested in taking his career forward, eligibility for postgraduate programmes will be on the basis of a bachelor's degree in (B.E/B.Tech) or any other equivalent branches of engineering. The duration for this course is two years.
One can also specialize in a particular field if he/she wants to. Specializations such as Lighting, Green building, Construction management, Fire protection engineering, Building transportation systems, Acoustics design and construction are also available apart from many others.
List of Courses available for Architecture
Courses will combine theoretical and practical training. You will develop, sharpen creative skills, and also spend hours in the design studio and work on projects individually as well as in groups
- Diploma in Architecture Engineering
- Diploma in Architecture Assistantship
- Bachelor of Engineering in Architecture Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Architecture Engineering
- Master of Technology in Architecture Engineering
- Master of Technology in Town & Country Planning
- Master of Philosophy in Architecture Engineering
Although in the beginning of your career you would be expected to understand the practical aspects of being on the job and strike the right balance of listening to the client and coming out with a design both aesthetically and practically correct. You will have the option of working with construction companies, builders, independently, consultancies, and many other options as well.
There are also jobs available in the Public sector which will include departments such as National Institute of Urban Affairs, Public Works Department, Housing and Urban Development Corporation, Ministry of Defense, National Building Organization, Archaeological Department, Town and Country Planning Organization, Departments of Railways, Post and Telegraphs, Public Sector Undertakings, National Building Construction Corporation Ltd., etc.
- Architecture Designer
- Architecture Engineer
- Interior Designer
In the beginning an architect can expect as much as Rs. 20,000 at the minimum. In about four to five years, expect anything from INR 50,000 to 60,000. The amount of investment in the sector seems to increasing with each passing day. The demand is expected to increase in next couple of decades as India is going to expand FDI in real estate and it will attract huge money from foreign companies.
Institutes offering courses in Architecture
Some of the colleges offering courses in Architecture have been listed as bellows:
- Punjab University, Chandigarh College of Architecture
- School of Architecture CEPT, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad
- School of Planning & Architecture, New Delhi
- Indian Education Society's College of Architecture, Mumbai
- Lucknow University, Govt. College of Architecture, Lucknow
- Goa University, College of Architecture
- University of Mumbai, Sir J J College of Architecture
- Pune University, Marathwada Mitra Mandal College of Architecture, Pune
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, School of Planning & Architecture, Hyderabad
- Kerala University, College of Engineering, Thiruvananthpuram
- Anna University, School of Architecture & Planning, Chennai
For info on Admissions and Entrance Tests, please visit: