What sort of jobs are there for social workers in the government sector?


Examinations are conducted through the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and State Public Service Commissions for appointing welfare officers at the central and state level. If selected, your position would be that of a gazetted officer in the areas of family welfare, education, social welfare, tribal development programmes, prisons etc.

National bodies like the Central Social Welfare Board (CSWB) and National Institute of Public Co-operation and Child Development (NIPCCD) and major community development projects also appoint welfare officers.

Some of these jobs are also open to postgraduate degree-holders in related fields like sociology, psychology, economics, and so on.

As a social welfare officer, your job profile would be primarily that of an executive. You would be involved in programme planning, execution, monitoring, evaluation and auditing procedures.