UPSC Indian Administrative Services Preliminary Exam Syllabus 2021
UPSC IAS Preliminary Exam Syllabus 2021 – Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts Civil Services exam commonly called the IAS Exam to recruit candidates for All India Administrative Civil Services.
UPSC IAS exam is conducted in three phases – a preliminary examination consisting of two objective-type papers (General Studies Paper I and General Studies Paper II also popularly known as Civil Service Aptitude Test or CSAT), Mains (Written) followed by a personality test (interview). UPSC IAS Preliminary paper is conducted to select candidates for the Main (written) exam. It is just a screening exam and marks obtained in prelims are not considered for the final merit list.
From the page below, you can find the syllabus for UPSC IAS Preliminary Exam
Syllabus of Paper I (200 marks) Duration: 2 hours
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization General Science
Syllabus for Paper II-(200 marks) Duration: 2 hours
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
Note 1: The CSAT aptitude test or Paper-II of the Civil Services (Preliminary) examination will be a qualifying paper only with a minimum of 33% to be secured to sit for the Civil Services (Mains) exam.
Note 2: The questions in both Paper-I (current affairs) and Paper-II (aptitude test) will be of multiple choice, objective type for 200 marks each and the time allotted for each paper is two hours
Note 3: It is mandatory for the candidate to appear in both the papers of Civil Services (Prelim) examination for the purpose of evaluation. Therefore a candidate will be disqualified in case he or she does not appear in both the papers of the (Prelims) exam.
See: UPSC Exam 2021 Notification