Fashion has become a part of our lives. We cannot imagine ourselves wearing something non-trendy and going out of the house. We are constantly drooling over our smartphones and constantly searching for new fashion items like clothes, shoes, accessories, bags, etc. on multiple fashion apps. So, we realize the great need for fashion designers. If you have the required acumen, you can make a career in the Fashion industry. There are many Undergraduate, Diploma, Certificate and Postgraduate courses in Fashion design to pursue after 12th. Some of the Institutes that offer Fashion designing courses are Pearl Academy, NIFT, and NID.
Candidates must have passed the 12th class examination from a recognized board. Admission is done on the basis of written test, personal interview and group discussion. Some institutes may offer admission on the basis of merit. Some of the top entrance exams for Fashion Design are conducted by NIFT, NID, CEED, etc.
Through this article, we can learn more about Fashion Designing, Courses after 12th class, Eligibility Criteria, Admission Process, Top Recruiters, Job Prospects, Salary and Top Institutes for Fashion Design.
What is Fashion Designing?
Fashion Design is a creative vocational course in which students learn about designing apparel, footwear, accessories, etc. Also, they learn about different kinds of fabrics, styling, knitting, textile, etc. The fashion industry is one of the flourishing industries in India and abroad. Some of the famous fashion designers in India are Manish Malhotra, Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Rohit Bal, etc.
Fashion Designing Course after 12th: UG, Diploma, Certificate
In India, the Fashion Designing course is offered at UG and Diploma level after completing class 12th. The duration of all the UG courses for fashion designing is 3 years and for B.Design, the duration is 4 years.
Generally, the duration of the Diploma is 1 year and for the certificate course, the duration is between 6 months to 1 year.
We have incorporated a list of Undergraduate and Diploma courses in Fashion Design in the table below.
|Undergraduate Course||Diploma Course|
|1. B.Sc. – Fashion Designing|
2. B.Des (Fashion Design)
3. Bachelor of Fashion Design
4. Bachelors of Fashion and Apparel Design
5. B.Sc. (Hons) Fashion Design
6. BBA – Fashion Design
7. BFA – Fashion Design
8. Integrated B.Sc. + M.Sc. Fashion Design
9. B.Des (Leather Design)
10. B.Des (Accessory Design)
11. B.Des (Knitwear Design)
12. B.Sc. Footwear Design and Production
|1. Diploma in Fashion Design|
2. PG Diploma – Fashion Design
3. Diploma in Fashion Design and Garment Technology
4. Diploma in Fashion and Apparel Design
5. Advanced Diploma in Fashion Design
6. Certificate in Fashion Design
7. Diploma in Fashion Communication
Fashion Designing Course: Admission Process
Candidates can apply for entrance examinations and after clearing the exam, on the basis of rank and marks, they can get admission to an institute/university. The main entrance examinations for Fashion Designing in India are:
Each of the entrance exams follows a different admission process. Group Discussions/Personal Interview are some of the criteria needed after the written examination for admission to the top institutes in Fashion Design.
Although, some universities/institutes may take in students on the basis of merit-based marks in the qualifying examination.
Fashion Designing Course: Eligibility Criteria
Candidates have to pass the 10+2 examination with a minimum 50% marks from a recognized board.
Although there is no compulsion as to the subjects studied by a student at the 10+2 level for admission to a course in Fashion Design, it is always beneficial if you have studied fine arts as a subject.
Fashion Designing Job Prospects & Top Recruiters
In the Fashion Designing industry, there are many job prospects that students can look up for making their careers in this field. Candidates can work in different fashion fields such as in the garment industry, accessory design, fashion design, textile design, fashion journalism, research, etc.
Job Profiles in Fashion design
Once you have completed a course in Fashion design, you may choose to work at any of the following profiles-
- Fashion Designer: In this field, one has to design clothes like dresses, jeans, T-shirts, tops, shirts, etc. One can build their own fashion brand or can work under a fashion company.
- Fashion Marketer: One will be responsible for planning, directing and coordinating marketing policies. In this profile, one can work for clothing companies or boutiques.
- Fashion Concept Manager: One has to think and plan about the unique themes and designs for clothing or accessory range.
- Personal Stylist/Fashion Consultant: Become a stylist and help people get a makeover.
- Quality Controller: The work is to control quality standards for clothing and other apparel.
- Technical Designer: One is responsible for how the clothes will be stitched and made. The work is also to put in details in sewing, wash descriptions, label placements and packing instructions.
- Fashion Show Organizers: The work is to organize fashion events and shows for fashion designers.
Top Recruiters in Fashion industry
Here is a list of the top companies in India that recruit fashion designers-
|Swarovski India||Shahi Exports|
|Shoppers Stop||Pearl Global|
|Levis||Indus League Clothing|
Salary in Fashion Designing
The Fashion Industry is one of the flourishing industries in India. With every passing day, people are getting involved in this industry as a business or fashion brand or as a consumer. As a fresher, candidates may get around INR 10,000 to 15,000 per month. After an experience of some years, candidates may earn around INR 30,000 to 40,000 per month.
Top Institutes for Fashion Designing Course after 12th
There are thousands of fashion designing institutes in India. Branches of NIFT and Pearl Academy are spread all over India. We present the top ten institutes for fashion design in India that offer UG and Diploma courses in Fashion Designing-
- Pearl Academy, Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- International Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi
- Amity University, Noida
- Indian Institute of Art & Design, Delhi
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi
- UID – UnitedWorld Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- LISAA School of Design, Bangalore
- MIT Institute of Design, Pune