Agricultural engineering Career Scope
India being an agro based economy has great scope for agricultural engineering. Agriculture is the world's largest and most important industry for survival of ever growing population. Growing concerns over environmental quality and need for advancements in biotechnology generated a necessity for agricultural engineering as a career in India
Read this article to know all the aspects of agricultural engineering like eligibility, Job prospects, core subject’s, key recruiters , specialisation, course profile and top institutes for agricultural engineering in India
All about Agricultural engineering
An agricultural engineer works for designing power and machine systems, animal or plant production and environment management. Some primary jobs of agricultural engineers involve improving Equipments need for farming, farm structures, biogas generation and inventing new technologies that can contribute in manufacture of agricultural products and conservation of natural resources.
The basic eligibility criteria for a candidate aspiring to do B.E / B.Tech in agricultural Engineering are 10+2, with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and preferably Biology. To become a qualified Agricultural Engineer one must have a graduate degree (B.E / B.Tech) or at least a diploma in Agricultural Engineering. BE / B.Tech Agriculture courses are of 4 years' duration while the diploma courses are of 2-3 years' duration.
Selection to all Agricultural Engineering courses is on the basis of joint entrance exam (JEE) for the IIT's and separate state level and national level exams for other institutions.
Top Agricultural engineering Colleges
Listed below are agriculture specific institutions in India that offer BE/B.Tech in agriculture
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute Delhi
- Central Institute of Agricultural Engineering, Bhopal
- College of Agricultural Engineering, Ludhiana
- College of Agricultural Engineering and Technology Junagadh
- Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth College of Agriculture Pune,
- Center of Biotechnology Anna University
- Acharya N G Ranga Agricultural University, Bapatla (Andhra Pradesh)
- Kerala Agricultural University, Vellanikkara (Kerala)
- College Of Technology, Pantnagar (Uttar Pradesh).
After completion of BE/B.Tech one can pursue M.Tech in Agriculture which includes study like crop process engineering, firm machinery and power, soil and water conservation etc. A Ph.D. degree of three years is also offered at IIT kharagpur, and Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), New Delhi.
List of Postgraduate Courses
- M. Tech. Environmental Engineering
- M. Sc in Agriculture
- M. Sc in Agricultural Extension
- M. Sc in Agronomy
- M. Sc in Soil Science
- M. Sc in Agricultural Biotechnology
- M. Sc in Agricultural Marketing
- M. Sc in Agricultural Microbiology
- M. Tech in Agricultural Engineering
- M. E in Agricultural Engineering
- Master of Agriculture in Entomology
- Master of Agriculture in Horticulture
- Master of Agriculture in Animal Sciences
- Master of Agriculture in Entomology
- Master of Agriculture in Plant Pathology
- Master of Agriculture in Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology
- Master In Agriculture And Rural Development
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nutrition and Food Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Horticulture
- PhD in Agricultural Engineering
- P.G. Diploma in Agricultural Marketing
Agricultural engineer’s job profile
Agricultural engineers are employed for various designations listed below:
- Extension Specialists
- Waste Specialists
- Land Development Engr.
- Structure Designers
- Machinery Designers
- Electrification and Power Systems Designer
- Precision Agriculture Applications Engineer
- Environmental Controls Engineer
Key Recruiter for Agriculture Engineering In India
Sriram Fertilizer and Chemicals, New Delhi, Nestle India Ltd, Animal Breeding Centre, AMUL Dairy, PRADAN, Proagro Seed Co. Ltd., Monsanto India Ltd., Syrganta India Ltd., VNR Seeds Ltd., Raipur, SRIJAN, Sungro Seeds Ltd. Delhi
This article has compiled information from various sources to impart knowledge regarding job prospects and scope of agricultural engineering as career option with a hope to help our subscribers in choosing their desired field of agricultural engineering as a profession.