The Full form of PICU is Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. PICU is a department within a hospital specializing in the care of critically unwell or ill infants, children, and teenagers. A PICU is typically directed by one or more PICU consultants or Pediatric Intensivists and staffed by nurses, doctors and respiratory therapists who are specially trained and experienced in pediatric intensive care. The unit may also have nurse practitioners, child life specialists, physiotherapists, physician assistants, social workers, and clerks on staff, although this varies widely depending on geographic location. The ratio of professionals to patients is generally higher than in other areas of the hospital, reflecting the acuity of PICU patients and the risk of life-threatening complications. Complex technology and equipment is often in use, particularly patient monitoring systems and mechanical ventilators. Consequently, PICUs have a larger operating budget than many other departments within the hospital. As medicine has matured over time, the development of the PICUs has expanded to maintain a level one and a level two PICU. Among these two different levels, they are able to provide stabilization and critical care for each child before transferring to a different acuity.
Full Form Related Links
- Admission and Entrance Exam Notification Sept. 24, 2021
- MAT September 2021 Result announced, check now
- TS ICET Result 2021 announced, Check now
- Admission and Entrance Exam Notification Sept. 23, 2021
- SBI Clerk 2021 Prelims Results announced, Download now!
- UPSC ESE and Geo-Scientist Exam 2022 Registration Process begins, Apply Now
- Admission and Entrance Exam Notification Sept. 22, 2021
- CAT 2021 Exam Pattern revised, check here for revised pattern