The Full form of IVF is IN Vitro Fertilization. Normally, an egg and sperm are fertilized inside a woman’s body. A baby is born about 9 months later if the fertilized egg attaches to the lining of the womb and continues to grow. This process is called unassisted or natural conception. IVF is an ART (Assisted Reproductive Technique) used to treat infertility or genetic problems. It helps infertile couples conceive a child. This involves the technique of fertilization of a woman’s egg with male sperm outside the body in a laboratory dish. As the fertilization takes place outside the body so it is known as in vitro fertilization. The IVF comprises four basic steps which are: Egg production/stimulation, Egg retrieval, Fertilization and Embryo transfer. In first step, fertility medications are used to stimulate the egg production in the female body, in egg retrieval, a minor surgical procedure is done to retrieve eggs. In Fertilization, the eggs are fertilized with the male sperm in the laboratory. The eggs are monitored to ensure that fertilization and cell division are taking place and in embryo Transfer, a 4-5 day old embryo is placed in the uterus of female using a slender, tiny catheter or tube. The implantation usually occurs around six to ten day following egg retrieval.
Full Form Related Links
- Admission and Entrance Exam Notification Sept. 25, 2021
- GATE 2022 Registration deadline extended till September 28
- JNVST 2021 Application Process for Class 6 begins, Apply now!
- UPSC NDA 2021 Application Process for women candidates begins, last date October 8
- UPSC Civil Services Exam 2020 Final Result announced
- IGNOU July 2021 registration deadline extended again, check details
- Admission and Entrance Exam Notification Sept. 24, 2021
- MAT September 2021 Result announced, check now