Civil Service Exam Syllabus for IAS Main Exam – Maithili
History of Maithili Language and its Literature
Answer to be written in Maithili
History of Maithili Language
- Place of Maithili in Indo-European language family.
- Origin and development of Maithili language. (Sanskrit, Prakrit, Avhatt, Maithili)
- Periodic division of Maithili Language. (Beginning, Middle era, Modern era)
- Maithili and its different dialects.
- Relationship between Maithili and other Eastern languages (Bengali, Asamese, Oriya )
- Origin and development of Tirhuta Script.
- Pronouns and Verbs in Maithili Language.
History of Maithili Literature
- Background of Maithili Literature (Religious, economic, social, cultural).
- Periodic division of Maithili literature.
- Pre-Vidyapati Literature.
- Vidyapati and his tradition.
- Medieval Maithili Drama (Kirtaniya Natak, Ankia Nat, Maithili dramas written in Nepal.
- Maithili Folk Literature (Folk Tales, Folk Drama, Folk Stories, Folk Songs).
- Development of different literary forms in modern era
(d) Short Story
- Development of Maithili Magazines and Journals
Paper – II
Answers must be written in Maithili
The paper will require first-hand reading of the prescribed texts and will test the critical ability of the candidates.
- Vidyapati Geet-Shati – Publisher : Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi (Lyrics – 1 to 50)
- Govind Das Bhajanavali – Publisher : Maithili Acadamy, Patna (Lyrics – 1 to 25)
- Krishnajanm – Manbodh
- Mithilabhasha Ramayana – Chanda Jha (only Sunder-Kand)
- Rameshwar Charit Mithila Ramayan – Lal Das (only Bal-kand)
- Keechak-Vadh – Tantra Nath Jha.
- Datta-Vati – Surendra Jha ‘Suman’(only 1st and 2nd Cantos).
- Samakaleen Maithili Kavita – Publisher : Sahitaya Akademi, New Delhi .
- Varna Ratnakar – Jyotirishwar (only 2nd Kallol)
- Khattar Kakak Tarang – Hari Mohan Jha
- Prithvi Putra – Lalit
- Bhaphait Chahak Jinagi – Sudhanshu ‘Shekhar’ Choudhary
- Kriti Rajkamlak – Publisher : Maithili Acadamy, Patna (First Ten Stories only)
- Katha–Sangrah – Publisher : Maithili Acadamy, Patna
>>> UPSC Syllabus Index