Online PhD Programs Offered by EdTech Companies in collaboration with foreign educational institutions not recognized by UGC
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has issued a notice warning the students not to enroll in online PhD programs. UGC has stated in its notice that it does not recognize online PhD programs which are being offered by EdTech companies in collaboration with international educational institutions.
The UGC official notice reads, “In order to maintain the standards for awarding PhD degrees, the UGC has notified the UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of MPhil, PhD degrees) Regulation 2016. It is mandatory for all Indian Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) to follow UGC Regulations and its amendments for awarding PhD degrees”.
It also stated that, “Students and public at large are hereby advised not to be misled by the advertisements for online PhD programs offered by EdTech companies in collaboration with foreign educational institutions. Such online PhD programs are not recognized by the UGC. Aspiring students and the public at large, are requested to verify the authenticity of PhD programs as per UGC Regulation 2016 before taking admission.”
Earlier this year, the UGC and the AICTE warned their recognized universities and institutions not to associate with Ed-tech companies to offer courses in distant learning and online modes, stating that no “franchise” agreement is permissible according to norms.
The UGC Regulation 2016 (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of MPhil, PhD degrees) 2022 suggested that, 60 per cent of the total PhD seats be filled by students who qualified for the UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) or Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), and the rest 40 per cent to be filled by entrance exams held by universities.
Students are advised not to enroll in online PhD programmes provided by EduTech firms by UGC.