Two Level of Exam for Maths in Class 10 Board Exam 2020
CBSE to bring extensive Changes in Class 10 Mathematics board exam 2020: As reported earlier on our website, The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has release a circular on January 10, 2019 to inform about the Introduction of two levels of Mathematics for All India Secondary School Examination (AISSE) from the Academic Session ending March, 2020 onwards.
The board decided to introduce two levels of examination in Class 10 Mathematics board examination keeping in view the National Curriculum Framework (NCF) 2005, Position Paper by National Focus Group on Examination Reforms which states that –“just as we allow students and schools, some element of choice in the choosing of their subjects, they should have the choice of picking one of two levels within that subject.”
As per the National Curriculum Framework, not only would the two levels of examinations cater for different kinds of learners and allow different levels of testing, it would also reduce overall student stress levels. It is well known that students experience greatest stress before and during their most ‘difficult’ subject exam, said in the circular
A detail of the new scheme introduced by CBSE is as under:
- The two levels of Examination will be held in the subject of Mathematics in the Board examination for Class X in the year 2020 and the same shall not be applicable to the internal assessment in class X.
- There shall not be two levels of Assessment/Examination for class IX.
- First level would be the same as the existing one, and the other would be an easier level.
- The nomenclature for the two Examinations will be; Mathematics-Standard for the existing level of examination, and Mathematics-Basic for the easier level of examination.
- The syllabus, class room teaching and internal assessment for both the levels of examination would remain the same; so that the students get an opportunity to study the whole range of topics throughout the year and are able to decide upon the level of Board examination depending upon their aptitude and abilities.
- The Standard level will be meant for students who wish to opt for Mathematics at Sr. Secondary level and the Basic level would be for students not keen to pursue Mathematics at higher levels.
- A student will have the right to choose between the two levels of Examination at the time of submission of List of Candidates (LoC) by the affiliated school to the Board online.
- In case student fails at any level of Mathematics, he/she can appear at the compartment examination as per norms of the Board according to the options given below:
- Mathematics -Basic students will have Mathematics-Basic as a compartment option
- Mathematics-Standard student will have Mathematics Standard or Mathematics- Basic as a compartment option.
- A student, who qualifies the Mathematics-Basic, shall be given an option to appear in Mathematics-Standard at the time of Compartment exams as per norms of the Board, in case he/she changes his/her mind to pursue Mathematics at Senior Secondary level.
Also see : CBSE Class 10 Board Exam Date Sheet 2019
As per the circular, the board will made question paper format for both the level as per curriculum for the academic session 2019-20 available on the website: www.cbseacademic.nic.in in due course of time. The board will also issue separate guidelines for filling up of List of Candidates (LOC) for examination in 2020 to the affiliated schools at the time of filling up of LOC.