International worker’s day
International Workers’ Day, also known as Labor Day in some places, occurs every year on May Day, 1 May, an ancient European spring holiday. The date was chosen for International Workers’ Day by the Second International to commemorate the Haymarket affair, which occurred in Chicago on 4 May 1886. This Day has its origins in the labor union movement, specifically the eight-hour day movement. It is a celebration of laborers and the working classes. It is a tribute to the work force that makes our living more comfortable.
OTHER FACTS OF 1ST MAY
- May Day marks the halfway between the first day of spring and summer solstice.
- Festivals, dances and many rituals were performed by many German and European countries in ancient times. These activities were basically related to agriculture and fertility.
- May Day marks the struggle against unfair labor practices during the end of the nineteenth century.
- In 1884, in the National Convention in Chicago, the Federation of Organized Traders and Labor Union declared that 8 hours shall constitute a legal day’s labor from and after May 1, 1886.
- It is a day for political protests.
- In India, first Labor Day was celebrated in 1923 in Chennai.
- May 1 is an ancient Northern Hemisphere spring festival and usually a public holiday.
- In the late 19th Century, May Day was chosen as the date for international workers day, a holiday to celebrate workers, by the socialists and communists to commemorate the tragedy in Chicago.
- Labour Day (Labor Day in the United States) is an annual holiday to celebrate the achievements of workers.
- In Europe and America, it is best known for their traditions of dancing around the maypole and crowning the Queen of May.
- The history of May/Labor Day goes back to 1886 in Chicago, USA, when a gathering of people during a general strike for the eight-hour workday became violent. A bomb was thrown into the crowd, police began to shoot and dozens of people were killed or injured.
- Today around India, organizations and trade unions arrange pageants, children enter contests so they can understand the importance of fairness for workers, and political leaders make speeches.
May Day Celebrations Video :
More about May Day …
Related Questions –
– What is May Day in England?
– Is May Day a Public Holiday?