General Awareness Questions and Answers for Entrance Exams and Tests (October 30,2009)
1. Dr J.S. Sarma has taken over as which of the following recently?
a) Chairman of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI)
b) Member, Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT)
c) Chairman of the Telecom Commission
d) Chairman of Cellular Operators Association of India (CO AI)
e) Chairman of International Telecom Union (ITU)
2. Which of the following became the first member country to formally leave the Commonwealth of Independent States, a trade block formed in 1991 by former Soviet republics recently?
3. Who was in news recently for the book – ‘Branding India — An Incredible Story’ recently?
a) Dipankar Gupta
b) Shashi Tharoor
c) Amitabh Kant
d) Ashutsoh Mazumdar
e) Prof. Meghnad Desai
4. Who was awarded the Raja Ram Mohan Roy Mission national award 2009 in recognition of his social service and fighting social evils such as untouchability and dowry recently?
a) Padamsinha Patil
b) P.J. Sudhakar
c) Pawanraje Nimbalkar
d) Ashok Desai
e) M.C. Setalvad
5. According to government of India estimates, rice and wheat production in the crop year ending June 30, 2009 is expected to be around _____ respectively.
a) 77.63 million tonne and 49.37 million tonne
b) 69.56 million tonne and 98.49 million tonne
c) 99.37 million tonne and 77.63 million tonne
d) 69.56 million tonne and 78.49 million tonne
e) 79.67 million tonne and 102.64 million tonne
6. Who was appointed India’s next High Commissioner to Pakistan recently?
a) Sharat Sabharwal
b) Dipanjan Mukherjee
c) Sowgat Muzaliid
d) Prasant Kumar Samantray
e) Satyabrata Pal
7. Which of the following statements is/are true about Aishwarya Bachchan in light of recent developments?
a) The actress has become the first Indian face of the doll ‘Barbie’
b) She has her wax statue displayed at Madame Tussaud’s
c) She is the brand ambassador of Revlon cosmetics and Cartier watches
d) Both (a) and (b)
e) All (a), (b) and (c)
8. Who has taken over as the new Chief of Naval Staff recently?
a) Admiral Sushil Kumar
b) Admiral Nirmal Kumar Verma
c) Admiral Madhvendra Singh
d) Admiral Arun Prakash
e) Admiral Sureesh Mehta
9. Which of the following statements regarding the Indian Premier League — Season II is/are true?.
I. Adam Gilchirst of Deccan Chargers won the Golden Player of the Year prize .
II. R. P. Singh was the Purple Cap Winner
III. Mathew Hayden was the Orange Cap Winner
a) I only
b) I and II
c) II and III
d) III only
e) I, II and III
10. Who is the only Indian woman to have climbed Mount Everest twice?
a) Santosh Yadav
b) Bachendri Pal
c) Pasang Lhamu Sherpa
d) Junko Tabei
e) Krushna Patil
Answers to the above Questions
1. a 2. d 3. c 4. b 5. c 6. a 7. a 8. b 9. b 10. a