Compartment Exam Rules of CBSE
Failing in an exam happens to be one of the biggest agonies for every CBSE student. And especially if a student fails in their 10th or 12th Board exam, they feel like their biggest fear has come true. These aspirants, as well as their parents, get tensed as if the kid will have to wait and prepare for the whole one year to appear for that exam. But this is not the case. CBSE conducts compartment exam for those students who have flunked in one or two subjects during their 10th and 12th. These exams are conducted immediately after the CBSE announces its 10th and 12th Board results in May every year.
Apart from the compartment exam option, even if a student flunks this exam or doesn’t appear, then she has the opportunity of appearing three more times for the subject throughout the year. In short, CBSE has made flexible rules so that even if they do not clear a subject, they are given chances to clear the subject that save their precious year. Once the results are out in May, the compartment exams are conducted in July every year.
Eligibility Criteria for CBSE Class 10th Compartment Exam
A CBSE 10th standard student needs to follow the following criteria to appear for Compartment Exam:
- Students are eligible to apply for this exam only when they were placed in Compartment for one or two exams.
- Students who had appeared in 10th Board exams, however, were placed in the category of Eligible for Improvement of Performance (EIOP)
- Students who fall under the EIOP category will get only one chance to appear for this exam.
CBSE Class 12th Compartment Exam Eligibility Criteria
A student needs to satisfy the following criteria to appear for CBSE Compartment exam:
- Those students who have failed any one of their subjects can appear for this exam.
- In case, students appeared for six subjects during her boards in March and failed in two, and then she can appear for any of the two subjects.
- Students who appeared from six subjects were declared PASS but failed in one subject – they can appear in the Improvement category for this exam.
Online Submission for Compartment Exam Application Form
The regular students who gave Board Exams through their CBSE-affiliated educational institutes in March and their result was declared as COMPARTMENT need to apply for the exam through online mode. They need to apply online for this exam and pay Rs 200 per subject in case they are from Indian Schools. In case, the student is from a foreign school affiliated to CBSE, and then she has to pay Rs 1000. Mostly these exams are conducted in the last week of July every year. To fill the online form, the applicant needs to visit the website www.cbse.nic.in.
Rules for Compartment Exam for CBSE Class 10th and 12th
- A candidate who has been placed in Compartment will have to appear for the Compartment exam conducted during July or August. They will get a second chance for the same during March or April next year and the third chance during July or August. In case, the candidate qualifies every compartment paper in which she appeared, on this basis she will be declared ‘PASS.’
- A candidate who fails in his compartment exam and does not appear for the same will be treated to be ‘FAIL’ in this exam. He will have to reappear again as per courses and syllabus laid down by this exam. The candidate will be given the option to appear freshly for the practical exam, or he can even choose to retain the previously obtained marks after appearing in a Compartment for the third time.
- The Course and syllabus for those appearing in compartment exam during March month will be same as that of candidates appearing for the full subject exam.
- An aspirant who has been placed for compartment will have to appear for the second time only for those papers to be held in March or April next year.
- For those subjects, which have separate practical and theory marks, the candidate needs to appear for only Theory paper and the practical marks will get carried forward. In case he has failed in practical and theory both, then he will have to appear for these separately.
- The candidate who had secured Compartment in the 10th paper will have to be admitted for 11th class provisionally till he appears for Compartment papers to be conducted in July or August and clears it. In case, the candidate fails to clear the exam, the admission for 11th std is slated to get cancelled.
See Video for Explanation and Summary of the Lesson