Time Management Tips for Students
Studying is a big commitment and needs time to work on it. Managing time is the best way for students to succeed. By managing your time, other commitments can be fulfilled and you can study without distractions. But finance and child care are serious problems. I found that the only way to get good grades was by doing less paid work so that I had more time for my studies. The problems are real, but make your action plan for the week and stick to it. This will help you study and deal with your other responsibilities in the best way.
You need to balance time. If you are bad at balancing things make a personal timetable. Even if you do not stick to it, you will have an idea what you should be doing each day. This is better than trying to do everything each day and, at the end of the week, not achieve anything.
- Choose a degree you are generally interested in rather than studying for the sake of having a degree. You will learn more because you are interested in the subject.
- Always look at your assignments as a challenge rather than saying "it is too hard". A task thought of as too hard can slow you down to a standstill. The same task thought of as a challenge can spur you on.
- It is best to keep up with your work. A timetable should be arranged each week, to ensure that you do not fall behind.
- You should be aware of all your assignments and deadlines from the earliest stages of each Class/Semester. You can make a calendar for each module, stick on the wall in your room, where you can refer to it as and when the need arises.
- If you organise your studies around the important outside commitments you have, such as work and family, you will find that you can cope quite well with what is expected of you.
Here are some tips to improve your study, but they will only work if you manage your time to get the best out of study.
- Do not leave your course work to the last minute
- Make sure you understand the lecture before you leave the classroom.
- Be prepared to ask questions.
- Read your text books and lecture notes again and again as you get new information.
- You should be prepared to spend at least 3 to 4 hours every day reading lecture notes and text books, and gathering information.
Tips for getting the best out of study at College/ university are:
* Try to attend all lectures, seminars and workshops. Although, obviously there will be times when for some personal reasons you cannot attend.
* Do work when you get it
* Work with others.
* To stop yourself from getting stressed and overloaded with work, try to organise time for your study in and around others demands on your life. Try to make a healthy balance of all of them.
Balancing study and other aspects of your life
Manage your time well for each module, but also make sure you get a good balance between work and social life. That is vital for life in general.
Set aside time specifically for each subject. Try to study one subject a day.
How to go about managing TIME
LIST all your activities on a piece of paper. How much time do
you spend, on average, completing homework or studying?
What organizations do you belong to and when do they meet?
What sports are you involved in and when are the practices
and games held? You get the picture. Put them in your
planner, in PENCIL, in case you need to adjust things later on.
PRIORITIZE. Give each item a number or letter as to how
important it is. and according to when it needs to be
A. Needs to be done today.
B. Can wait until A tasks are finished.
C. Not that important and can wait until a later time or date.
GET REAL. You may want to list that Biology assignment as a
C task but if your marks slip we don’t see many Cricket Matches or Nach Baliya or BIG Boss in your future. Keep yourself honest and get the studying done first so you can fun later on.
Stay FOCUSED. The key to a managing your time with a
calendar or planner is to stick with it. If it sits in your dresser
drawer and never is used, it isn’t serving its purpose very well.
Make sure to keep at it and keep it up to date. Cross off tasks
If you do this SUCCESS IS YOURS !