Physical Education Career Scope, Eligibility and Job Prospects
We live in an era where people have realized the importance of sports and fitness. This field is expanding exponentially each passing day. So playing sports at your college or school level need no longer be just a hobby. You can today shape your future in the field by sticking around with physical fitness and pursuing your career in Physical Education.
A career in physical education can lead you to a wide range of career options; from being a part of the chosen sport, health clubs, sports good manufacturer, marketing, commentator, sports journalism, trainer, and many other similar options. Although in the beginning you will more likely find jobs as trainer or instructor for a game or sporting event but with building your experience over the years, you can probably take this experience and put it to use in sports journalism, marketing, commentator or other related fields.
For Physical Education there are both undergraduate and postgraduate colleges offered.
For admission to Bachelor’s course, the student can pursue the B.PEd program, the eligibility for which is completion of 10+2 or its equivalent, with any subject of physical education.
For admission to Master’s course, the student can take admission to the M.PEd course, the eligibility for which is completion of graduation with physical education.
Physical Education is offered as a discipline in many colleges and universities and the subjects compris both of theoretical and practical aspects.
There is also the option of doing a Certificate course in Physical Education (C.PEd) or a Diploma in Physical Education (D.PEd).
There are many other options of working in this field apart from serving as a player. A candidate with passion for sports career can also work as coach, team manager/sports manager, fitness instructor, athletic trainer, sports journalist, photographer. Sports persons on retiring from active play can also look forward to satisfying jobs in assignments such as umpires and referees.
Also in a country like ours where country spas and yoga centers are at a rise, one can also use his/her expertise for a job in such places. People today are looking for professionals in the field of Physical Education and Sport because they have best knowledge regarding rehabilitative and therapeutic modalities like Cryotherapy, Thermotherapy, Electromagnetic Therapy etc. Trained Physical Education personnel get priority in defence and police services with special recruitment drives.
- Physical Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Athletic Trainer
- Physical Education Teacher
- Fitness Specialist–Personal Trainer, Fitness Director
- Recreation Worker
- Dance Medicine and Science
- Geriatric Fitness Specialist
- Careers in Gerontology
- Athletic Coach
- Dance Educator
- Exercise Science / Sports Medicine
- Sports Management
- Sports Medicine
- Health Educator
In the beginning a career in Physical Education might not pay you much. Expect a beginner to earn not more than Rs. 5000 – 10,000. Although with the advent of time and experience the pay scale will rise with multifold.
Colleges offering Physical Education in India
- Kamla Nehru Institute of Management and Technology, Sultanpur (Uttar Pradesh)
- Kamla Nehru Institute of Physical and Social Sciences, Sultanpur (Uttar Pradesh)
- Beacon Institute of Technology : Department of Physical Education, Meerut (Uttar Pradesh)
- Beacon Institute of Technology : Department of Education, Meerut (Uttar Pradesh)
- Kurukshetra University : Department of Physical Education, Kurukshetra (Haryana)
- Babu Banarasi Das University (BBD) : School Of Education, Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh)
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Avadh University : Department of Physical Education, Faizabad (Uttar Pradesh)
- Guru Nanak Dev University : Department of Physical Education(Teaching), Amritsar (Punjab)
- Pravara College of Physical Education, Ahmednagar (Maharashtra)
- M.E.S.’s Vidyadhiraja College of Physical Education and Research, Navi Mumbai (Maharashtra)
- Anjali Institute of Management and Science, Agra (Uttar Pradesh)
- Shivaji University : Department of Sports, Kolhapur (Maharashtra)
Post your comments here