Philosophy Career Scope, Eligibility and Job Prospects
The term philosophy was introduced by the Greek thinker Pythagoras. Philosophy is a subject that delves deep into general and fundamental issues related to existence, knowledge, reason, mind and language. You will study both Indian and Western and understand the relation between reality and experience. So if you are thinking of making a career in Philosophy, then know that you will need to encompass your common sense at all times and be aware as well.
Philosophy is one of those subjects which offer one too many choices to the students opting for it. Philosophy as a subject will make you understand the existing issues. The subjects in the philosophy course will include politics, logic, ethics and religion. The course is designed so that the students are instilled with a thought process of their own during the course of their education in the field.
There are also quite a number of opportunities present in the working world today for students from this field. You will be presented with the option of joining education, government, non-profit sectors once you complete your education in this field.
There are a number of benefits of studying the subject, as a Philosopher will develop reasoned arguments, will communicate effectively; also will have the ability to speak, think and write more clearly. Philosophers are known to have more creative and original solutions to problems and can easily analyze complex problems as well as examine problems systematically. Also, philosophers tend to learn to be empathetic and also understand related disciplines.
In order to be eligible for admission to a bachelor’s degree, one must clear his/her higher secondary school certificate education from a recognized college. The duration for bachelor’s course is three years.
The eligibility criterion for admission master’s course in Philosophy is holding a bachelor’s degree in any stream. The duration of the master’s course is mostly two years.
Course available in Philosophy are:
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy
- Bachelor of Arts (Honors) in Philosophy
- Master of Arts in Philosophy
- Master of Arts (Honors) in Philosophy
- Master of philosophy in Philosophy
- Doctor of Philosophy in Philosophy
Specializations available in Philosophy are:
- Political Philosophy
- Philosophy of Language
- Philosophy of Mind
A student who completes their education with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Philosophy can think of working in quite a number of avenues, both in India and abroad. One can look for a job in many sectors which can range from specialist in HR, interviewer, consultant, student affairs, public service, journalism, research, law, diplomacy, insurance, etc. Students who have done research on philosophy can opt for teaching jobs in research institutes, universities and in colleges
The people from this field are mostly paid well. While a person starting their career in the field can expect Rs. 10,000- 15,000 but be assured that as you gather experience with time your salary will increase considerably.
Some Arts Colleges for Philosophy in India
- Institute of Life Sciences, School of Science & Technology- Ahmedabad , Gujarat
- Hindustan University- Chennai , Tamil Nadu
- Institute of Economic Growth- New Delhi
- SS College- Gurgaon
- Central Institute of Education, University of Delhi- New Delhi
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women- New Delhi
- Madras Christian College- Chennai , Tamil Nadu
- Miranda House- New Delhi
- School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University- New Delhi
- Centre for the Study of Law and Governance, Jawaharlal Nehru University- New Delhi
- Centre for Jawaharlal Nehru Studies, Jamia Milia Islamia University- New Delhi