Library Science Career Scope| Career in library Sc.
Career in library Science
A career in Library Sciences would include being a part of system which will look after organising and maintaining books, magazines and journals. It is a part of the job profile to categorize the information required by the people visiting the library and having knowledge information systems management, classification / cataloguing systems, bibliography, documentation, preservation and conservation of manuscript, collection management, information systems and technology, research methodology, computer applications, reference, statistics and management, information processing, archives management, indexing, library planning, etc.
Library Science Job Profile
A person who is a part of this system and looks after the library in the above mentioned context is referred to as a Librarian or are also commonly known as Information Managers. Apart ffrom maintain and organizing, it is a duty of the librarian to plan activities in the vicinity which increases the interest of people in the use of a Library. Today with the advent to technology, libraries also cater to DVDs, CDs, cassettes, etc on educational or referential books.
Eligibility for Library Sciences Courses
For admission to a bachelor’s course, the student must have passed the higher secondary school certificate (10+2) examination with science subject such as biology, maths and chemistry.
In order to pursue a master’s course, the candidate must have a bachelor’s degree with subjects such as biology, maths and chemistry.
Some of the courses one can pursue to be a part of the Library Science are:
- Certificate Courses in Library Science
- Certificate in ICT Application in Library
- Certificate Course in Library and Information Science
- Diploma Courses in Library Science
- Diploma in Library and Information Science (DLIS)
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science
- Master of Library Science
- Master of Philosophy in Library & information Science
- Post Graduate Diploma in Library Automation and Networking
- Doctor of Philosophy in Library & information Science
One can also think of specializing in a particular field. There are many options available from Information architecture, Indexing, Librarian, Information broker, Archiving, Metadata Management, Researchers, Cataloguing, Metadata Architecture, etc.
Career Prospects / Opportunities in Library Science
There are ample of options for students who are pursuing library sciences as a profession. Librarians, today, are not only the information providers but also make sure that the information in the library is systematically organized and updated from time to time.
While entering the field, the position of Assistant Librarian is offered and so gradually they can work their way upward to the post of Librarian. Well qualified candidates of the field can look for a job at schools, colleges, universities, public and government libraries, private libraries, news broadcasting agencies, academic institutions, and many more. There is also the option of applying to galleries, archives, museums, and documentation centers. These days there are private publishing houses and statistical research centers which also require graduated of this field. Some experienced librarians work independently as service providers.
Like most other fields the remuneration of a librarian will depend upon their qualifications and experience. Librarians working in government sectors can earn an average income with incentives although the job is better paying in the private sector.
Colleges offering Library Sciences Courses in India
- Alagappa University, Karaikudi
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- Allahabad University
- Annamalai University, Annamalainagar
- Awadhesh Pratap Singh University, Rewa
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Bundelkhand University, Jhansi
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore
- Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar University, Agra
- Dr. Harisingh Gour Viswavidyalaya, Sagar
- Gulbarga University, Gulbarga
- Guru Ghasidas University, Bilaspur
- Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
- Dr. Harisingh Gour University, Sagar
- HNB Garhwal University Srinagar - Garhwal
- Jadavpur University, Calcutta
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Jiwaji University, Gwalior
- Karnatak University, Dharwad
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
- Nagpur University, Nagpur
- North Eastern Hill University, Shillong
- Pandit Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur
- Panjab University, Chandigarh
- Patna University, Patna
- Punjabi University, Patiala
- Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya, Jabalpur
- Sambalpur University, Sambalpur
- SNDT Womens’ University, Mumbai
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- University of Jammu, Jammu (Tawi)
- University of Kashmir, Srinagar
- University of Lucknow, Lucknow
- University of Madras, Chennai
- University of Mysore, Mysore
- University of Pune, Pune
- University of Rajasthan, Jaipur
- Vikram University, Ujiain
- UP Rajarshi Tandon Open University, Allahabad (Distance Education)
- Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi (Distance Education)