The National Institute of Plant Genome Research (formerly known as National Centre for Plant Genome Research) is a premier institution for plant genomic research. It has been established by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, to coincide with the 50th anniversary of India’s independence as well as birth anniversary of Prof. (Dr.) J. C. Bose. The formal announcement was made on November 30th 1997.
NIPGR (formerly known as NCPGR) was established in 1998 with mandate to undertake, promote and co-ordinate research, train workers and to serve as information resource in identified aspects of plant genome to build a frontline plant genomics institution.
The Ph. D. Programme of the Institute is launched in every year. This is a long term training programme of the Institute leading to Ph. D. degree of Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, in addition of short term training programmes that the Institute organizes periodically for which the scientists of the other institutes are eligible. The scholars (who have JRF of CSIR/UGC/DBT/ICMR exam) are admitted to this programme on the basis of interviews from amongst a large number of applicants all over the country. The selected scholars are required to do first course work for a period of six months, which is followed by research work on different areas of Plant Biology in various laboratories.
Ph.D. Programme for 2009-2010
National Institute of Plant Genome Research, is an Autonomous Research Institution, funded by Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, and conducts basic and applied research in the frontier areas of plant biology. The Institute invites applications from candidates who have completed or will be completing M. Sc. (by August 11, 2009) in Life Science or equivalent in related disciplines with minimum 55% marks, and have cleared the CSIR-UGC NET exam / DBT-JRF (selected through BET/BINC) / ICMR NET exam for JRF (with a valid Junior Research Fellowship as on September 1, 2009), for conducting advanced researches in the frontier areas of Plant Science such as Developmental Biology, Signal Transduction, Stress Biology, Structural, Functional and Nutritional Genomics, Developing Transgenic Crop Plants etc. Reservations are as per statutory norms. The selection will be made on the basis of interview only.
The selected candidates will be enrolled for Ph.D. program in academic affiliation with the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. NIPGR will provide shared accommodation to selected candidates.
Application should be typed on A-4 size plain paper in the format given (Form can be downloaded from website). Item 3 and 6 in the format should be filled in as shown in the Senior Secondary School Certificate or equivalent. Each page in the typed application form should be signed by the candidate.
Completed application must be accompanied with a crossed Demand Draft for Rs. 300/- in favor of Director, National Institute of Plant Genome Research, New Delhi. A demand draft of Rs. 100/- is acceptable from SC/ST candidate provided relevant documentary proof is enclosed. The Demand Draft is not refundable.
Application should be accompanied by attested copies of certificates and mark sheets mentioning the division obtained. Two passport size recent photographs should be enclosed. One of these should be signed by the candidate and pasted on the application form, while the other should be enclosed. Application along with Demand Draft should be sent to “The Director, National Institute of Plant Genome Research, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, J.N.U. Campus, Post Box No. 10531, New Delhi-110 067” so as to reach on or before June 9, 2009. Incomplete applications and those received after the closing date will not be entertained. The decision of the Institute will be final and binding and no correspondence will be entertained in this regard.
NIPGR will not provide any travel expenses to candidates appearing for interview. Applications must enclose documentary evidence for SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer) if applicable, along with other specified enclosures.
Essential information to be given in the application form in the following order:
2. Details of Demand Draft: (i) Number (ii) Date of issue (iii) Value in Rupees (iv) Bank drawn on
3. Name of applicant (in capital letters)
4. Name of mother or father
5. Whether belongs to SC/ST/OBC (NCL)
6. Date of birth
8. Permanent Address
9. Address for correspondence
10. Contact telephone number, if any
11. Contact fax number, if any
12. Contact E-mail address, if any
13. Academic record: For each of the following examinations: (i) Senior Secondary (10+2) or equivalent, (ii) Bachelor’s level degree or equivalent, and (iii) Master’s level degree or equivalent; please give the following information: (a) Name of Examination (b) Subjects (c) University or Board (d) Year (e) Division or class obtained and (f) Aggregate percentage obtained.
14. M. Sc. dissertation title and/or research publications, if any
15. (a) Year and month of qualifying the CSIR/UGC NET exam with Junior Research Fellowship / DBT-JRF (BET/BINC) / ICMR NET (b) Roll No.
16. Declaration: I declare that the information furnished above is true and correct to the best my knowledge and belief, and that no related information is concealed. If any discrepancy is observed at any stage, NIPGR will be free to cancel my candidature/selection.
17. Signature of candidate
National Institute of Plant Genome Research
Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, P.O. Box No. 10531
New Delhi – 110 067
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Ph. No. : 91-11-30942824, 26735169
91-11-26741612,14,17 Ext. 143
Direct – 91-11-26735143