The Institute came under the Administrative Control of Indian Council of Agricultural Reserach with effect from 1 April, 1979. CIFE has been providing leadership in Fisheries Education and Training in India as also in neighbouring Afro-Asian Countries for nearly four decades. It was in recognition of the pivotal role played by the Institute in Fisheries Education that the Ministry of Human Resources Development and the University Grants Commission accorded the Deemed -to-be University status to CIFE on 29 March, 1989. CIFE , thus has the distinction of becoming the first fisheries university in India.
Central Institute of Fisheries Education (CIFE), Pune, Mumbai was established in 1961 to disseminate professional knowledge about fishing to fisheries professional. CIFE was conferred the Deemed University status by UGC in 1989.In 2004 the courses of the institute were accredited by ICAR because of the superior qualities of the teaching module of the institute.
The institute has several centers in the following places
- Fisheries Resources Management (FRM)
- Fish Nutrition & Biochemistry (FNB)
- Fisheries Business Management (FBM)
- Inland Aquaculture (AC)
- Mariculture (MC)
- Freshwater Aquaculture (FWA)
- Post Harvest Technology (PHT)
- Fish Genetics & Biotechnology (FGB)
- Fish Pathology & Microbiology (FPM)
Ph. D. Fisheries Resource Management
- Inland aquaculture
- Post Harvest Technology
- Fish Genetics
- Fishery Biotechnology
- Fish Pathology & Microbiology
- Fish Nutrition & Biochemistry
- Fisheries Business Management
Research scopes are provided in the following areas
2. Fisheries Nutrition & Biochemistry
3. Fisheries Genetics & Biotechnology
4. Aquatic Environment Management
5. Harvest & Post Harvest Technology
6. Fisheries Informatics Technology Eva
7. Fisheries Resource Management
8. Aquatic Animal Health Management
- Post graduation in Inland Fisheries Management.
M. F. Sc. : Candidates having their Bachelor’s Degree in Fisheries Science (B.F.SC.) under 10+2+4 system are eligible to apply for admission. Candidates must have obtained at least 60% marks in B.F.S.C.
Admission procedure: A combined examination for the award of ICAR Junior Research Fellowship and admission to Master’s Degree program at the CIFE is conducted by the India Council of Agriculture Research, in the 1 st week of June.
Ph. d: M.F. Sc. (4 years) or B. F. Sc. with 2years P.G (Post Graduation) or 3 years B. Sc. with 3years P.G.(Post Graduation) Pattern.
A candidate holding a Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science with two years of experience in fisheries development work after obtaining D.F. Sc.
Admission Procedure: Admission are made on the basis of written test and interview for Ph. D. The marks will have weight age of 20 % for academics, 70% for subject matter written test and 105 for interview. The written test is on 200 marks.
For latest information regarding Courses duration ,eligibility, and fee structure visit University/college website
Central Institute of Fisheries Education
Fisheries University Road
Andheri W Mumbai
Mumbai 400 061
VC: Dr Dilip Kumar
Reg: Mr Chironji Lal