Agricultural education was first started in Bihar in 1945 with the establishment of Bihar Agricultural College at Sabour in the district of Bhagalpur. Later on, it was realised that the agricultural situation and features of the plateau region of South Bihar is different from the rest of Bihar. Hence there was a need of a second college for this region. Ranchi Agricultural College was established in 1955, Ranchi Veterinary College in 1962 and College of Forestry in 1980. Considering the importance of agricultural education for the agricultural development of the state, the first Agricultural University in Bihar – Rajendra Agricultural University was started in1971 with its headquarters at Pusa. In view of the specific agriculture features of Chotanagpur and Santhal Parganas, the establishment of a second Agricultural University, for this region of the Bihar State, was conceived.
Birsa Agricultural University was established on 26th June, 1981 after its formal inauguration by the then Prime Minister of India, Late Smt. Indira Gandhi.
Under Graduate Courses
I. College of Agriculture
II. College of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry
III. College of Forestry
College of Forestry offers four-year degree course
(1) Agril. Economics (2) Agril. Entomology (3) Agril. Extension Education (4) Agril. Physics (5) Agril. Statistics (6) Agronomy (7) Crop Physiology (8) Horticulture (9) Mycology & Plant Pathology (10) Plant Breeding & Genetics (11) Soil Science & Agricultural Chemistry (12) M. Tech. (Agril. Engineering) (i) Farm Power & Machinery (ii) Post Harvest Processing and Food Engineering (iii) Soil and Water Engineering
B. Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandary
(1) Animal Breeding & Genetics (2)Animal Husbandry Extension Education (3) Animal Nutrition (4) Live Stock Production & Management (5) Vety. Biochemistry (6) Vety. Gynaecology and Obstetrics (7) Vety. Medicine, (8) Vety. Microbiology (9) Vety. Parasitology (10) Vety. Pathology (11) Vety. Pharmacology & Toxicology (12) Vety. Physiology (13) Vety. Public Health (14) Vety. Surgery & Radiology.
(i) Biotechnology (Hons.) Stream (ii) Agriculture (iii) Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry (iv) Forestry
MBA Agribusiness Programme
(1) Agril. Economics (2) Agril. Extn. Education (3) Agronomy (4) Horticulture (5) Mycology & Plant Pathology (6) Plant Breeding & Genetics (7) Soil Science & Agricultural Chemistry.
B. Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry
(1) Animal Breeding & Genetics (2)Animal Husbandry Extension Education (3) Animal Nutrition (4) Live Stock Production & Management (5) Vety. Biochemistry (6) Vety. Gynaecology and Obstetrics (7) Vety. Medicine, (8) Vety. Microbiology (9) Vety. Parasitology (10) Vety. Pathology (11) Vety. Pharmacology & Toxicology (12) Vety. Physiology (13) Vety. Public Health & Epidemiology (14) Vety. Surgery & Radiology.
Under Graduate Courses
Admission to different undergraduate programmes is done through bifold procedure. 15% of total seats are filled by a Combined Competitive Entrance Examination conducted by I.C.A.R. V.C.I. at all India level and 85% of the total seats are filled by Jharkhand Combined Competitive Entrance Examination Board, Ranchi. The minimum qualification is Intermediate/10+2 or its equivalent with Physics, Chemistry and Biology for all undergraduate degree programmes. However, the candidates with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics are also eligible for admission into B.Sc. (Ag) and B.Sc. (Forestry). Students are admitted in unreserved and various reserved categories strictly on the basis of merit in the respective category through an entrance examination as per the reservation rules of Jharkhand state.
The University offers courses leading to M.Sc. (Ag.), M.V.Sc. and Msc. (Forestry) degree in various disciplined of Agriculture, Vety. Science and Forestry. There are altogether 29 post-graduate departments out of which 16 Departments offer Ph.D. degree in Agriculture and Vety. Science. No Ph.D. degree is offered in the faculty of forestry.
In addition to above the university also offers M.Sc. degree in Bio-technology.
The admission to different Post Graduate programmes with respect to Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Science (Except Bio-technology) is done on the basis of merit in unreserved and respective reserved categories. Reservation roster as decided by Govt. of Jharkhand is followed in P.G. admission.
Selection of candidates for admission in M.Sc., (Bio-technology) programme on 6 seats is done on the basis of combined admission test organized on all India basis by J.N.U., New Delhi and on remaining 6 seats as per university rules.
i) Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture (4 years course), Vety. Science & Animal Husbandry (5 years course) for admission to M.Sc. (Ag.), M.V.Sc. Programmes, respectively. However, for M.Tech. in Agril. Engineering with specialization in Farm Power & Machinery, Post Harvest Processing & Food Engineering and Soil & Water Engineering, Bachelor’s degree in Ag. Engg./ Mechanical Engg., Ag. Engg./ Chemical Engg. And Ag. Engg./Civil Eggg., respectively, is required.
ii) Minimum overall grade point average (O.G.P.A) and Subject Grade Point Average( S.G.P.A.) 6.00/10.00 or 60% marks in aggregate or equivalent percentage of marks in aggregate at Bachelor’s Degree level for General and OBC candidates and for SC/ST candidates 5.50/10.00 O.G.P.A. /S.G.P.A or equivalent percentage of marks is required.
iii) The merit list will be prepared on the basis of S.G.P.A. (Subject Grade Point Average) obtained by the candidate in the subject in which he/she desires to seek admission. Subject means both core and elective courses studied by the candidate in that particular subject. The merit list will be prepared in 10 point scale.
For admission in Biotechnology from Agriculture / Veterinary Science / Forestry stream, only O.G.P.A. will be considered. However, for Biotechnology (Hons.) graduates percentage of marks in Biotechnology component only at graduation level will be considered for admission in Master’s Programme in Biotechnology.
Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Veterinary Sciences and A. H., Forestry, Dairy Technology, Agricultural Engineering, Home Science (Science Stream only), Fisheries, B.Sc. (Horticulture), B.Sc. (Hons.) Agriculture, and B.Sc. (Hons.) Forestry will be (Candidates of SC & ST categories with 55% marks and candidates of all other categories with 65% marks) are eligible. Appearing candidates of the above mentioned programmes who fulfill the requirements of degree programme on or before the group discussion may also apply.
Admission will be on the basis of marks obtained in the Bachelor’s Degree Exam, group discussion and selection interview.
Candidates called for the group discussion and interview will be required to bring the following documents:
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry
- Faculty of Forestry
- College of Bio-Technology
Birsa Agricultural University
(Professional -Agricultural University)
Ranchi 834 006
Tel : 0651-2450500, 2450866, 2450832, 2450760
Fax : 065-2450850
Email : email@example.com,
VC: Dr N N Singh
Reg: Dr S M Prasad