National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences is a multidisciplinary Institute for patient care and academic pursuit in the frontier area of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences. The Lunatic Asylum which came into being in the latter part of the 19th Century was renamed as Mental Hospital in 1925 by the erstwhile Government of Mysore. This hospital and All India Institute of Mental Health established in 1954 by Government of India were amalgamated on 27th December 1974, and thus was formed the autonomous National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS).
The priority gradiant adopted at the Institute is service, manpower development and research. Multidisciplinary integrated approach is the mainstay of this institute, paving the way to translate the results from the bench to the bedside. On November 14, 1994, NIMHANS has been declared a Deemed University by the University Grants Commission, with academic autonomy. The Institute functions under the direction of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Karnataka. Several National and International funding organisations provide resources for research.
A. Post Graduate Degree/Diploma Courses
1.1 Institute Fellowships
a) Ph.D. degree in Mental Health & Social Psychology
b) Ph.D. degree in Neurophysiology
c) Ph.D. degree in Speech Pathology & Audiology
d) Ph.D. degree in Clinical Neurosciences
1.2 External Fellowships: Candidates with Sponsorship from Government of
India/State Govt. Institutions, Deputed or Sponsored from a recognized
University, Fellowships from Government Agencies like UGC/ICMR/CSIR etc.,
Permanent Employees and tenured employees of NIMHANS can also apply for
Ph.D. in the various departments of this Institute, which will be considered at the
discretion of the competent authority for Entrance Test. They have to work on
full time basis for a minimum period of THREE years (Two years in case of
having M.Phil/DNB/MD/MS/DM/M.Ch. degrees). Entrance Test for selection of
candidates for Ph.D. programmes will be held in the following departments in the
months of February and October.
d) Human Genetics
e) Mental Health Education
f) Mental Health & Social Psychology
i) Neuroimaging and Interventional Radiology
o) Psychiatric Nursing
p) Psychiatric Social Work
s) Speech Pathology & Audiology
2. DM in Neuroradiology
3. DM degree in Neurology
4. M.Ch. degree in Neurosurgery
5. MD degree in Psychiatry
6. Diploma in Psychiatry
7. Post Doctoral Fellowship in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
8. Post Doctoral Fellowship in
9. Post Doctoral Fellowship in Neuropathology
10. M.Phil. in Biophysics
11. M.Phil. in Mental Health & Social Psychology
12. M.Phil. in Psychiatric Social Work
13. M.Phil. in Neurophysiology
14. M.Phil. in Neurosciences
15. M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing
B. B.Sc. COURSES
1. B.Sc. in Nursing
2. B.Sc. in Radiography
B (1). DIPLOMA/CERTIFICATE COURSES
1. Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing (DPN)
2. Diploma in Neurological & Neurosurgical Nursing (DNN)
3. Diploma in Clinical Neurophysiology Technology (DCNT) 8
A. The Selection procedure for all the postgraduate courses
1. Selection will be purely based on merit as determined in the Entrance test only. There will be counseling for students to ascertain their preference of subject, verification of documents and to implement statutory reservation provisions. General candidates
securing less than 50% of marks and SC/ST candidates securing less than 44% of marks in the Entrance test shall not be eligible to be called for counseling.
1a. If no eligible candidiates are available against reserved seats, they
shall be filled up from general merit category students.
2. The question paper for Entrance test will contain multiple choice objective type questions. The duration of the test for each course will be determined by the concerned departments. A single Common Entrance Test will be conducted for MD and DPM in
Psychiatry courses for candidates with MBBS degree. A single Common Entrance Test will be conducted for DM in Neurology and M.Ch. in Neurosurgery courses for candidates with MBBS degree. Separate Entrance tests will be conducted for candidates with MD/MS/DNB qualification applying for DM in Neurology and M.Ch. in Neurosurgery courses. The Entrance test for candidates applying for DM in Neuroradiology course will be conducted separately.
3. A merit list will be prepared course wise and reserved category wise based on the marks scored by the candidates in the Entrance test. Eligible candidates will be called for counseling until all the seats are filled up in all the categories. Counseling will be stopped
as soon as the last seat is filled. Waiting list will be based on the merit list so prepared. A separate list will be prepared for Diploma in Psychiatry & M.Phil. in Mental Health and Social Psychology for the seats reserved for Karnataka domiciles. In case of two or more candidates obtaining equal marks in the Entrance test, then, their inter se merit will be determined as under:
a. No. of attempts in the previous qualifying exam.
b. If the number of attempts are same, candidates securing higher marks in the pervious qualifying exam will be considered.
c. If marks are also same, then, age will be the criterion i.e., person who is senior in age shall rank higher. Such eligible candidates in each category shall be called to appear
before a duly constituted Selection Committee for the counseling.
4. The admission will be on the basis of Merit as determined by the marks secured in Entrance test. The list of selected candidates will be prepared separately for each course and displayed in the order of merit on the notice boards of the Institute and the NIMHANS website.
B. Admission to B.Sc. Courses
The admission will be on the basis of Merit as determined by the marks secured in Entrance test. The list of selected candidates will be prepared separately for each course and displayed in the order of merit on the notice boards of the Institute and the NIMHANS website.
B (1). Admission to Diploma Courses
All applications received shall be considered by a Committee constituted by the Director. Weightage in selection shall be given to those candidates sponsored by the Government and other Institutions. The selected candidates shall be informed directly by Registered Post Acknowledgement Due
National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences
VC: Prof D Nagaraja
Reg: Smt M V Savithri