Guidelines for reopening of colleges and universities released by UGC
As colleges and universities across the country has started reopening partially. The University Grants Commission (UGC) has issued guidelines to ensure the students and staff’s safety. The guidelines issued by UGC for reopening of colleges is made mandatory for all the UGC approved colleges and the universities.
As per the SOPs, the campuses need to operate with 50 per cent attendance. UGC has also focused on various points like physical distancing, wearing the mask, hand sanitizing etc. The college administrations are required to disinfect the campus every day..
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) issued by USC is as follows:
- The concerned Governing body must declare the area to be safe for the reopening of College/University
- The universities and colleges shall be allowed to open only if they are outside the containment zones
- Maintain distance of at least 6 feet inside the campus.
- Use face covers or masks every time.
- Frequently hand wash with soap (for at least 40-60 seconds) even when hands are not visibly dirty.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizers (for at least 20 seconds) if feasible.
- Respiratory etiquettes to be strictly followed. This involves the strict practice of covering one’s mouth and nose while coughing/sneezing with a tissue/handkerchief/flexed elbow and disposing of used tissues properly.
- Self-monitoring of health to be done and report any illness at the earliest.
- Spitting inside the campus shall be strictly prohibited.
- Encourage the faculty, staff and students to Install & use Aarogya Setu App.
- Regular visits of a counsellor to ensure mental wellness.
The following public health measures must be followed by the faculty members, employees, students and visitors to reduce the risk of COVID-19. College administration must implement these guidelines effectively inside the campuses.