Learn English Grammar with Ranjna Vedhera.
A group of words that makes complete sense, conveys a clear meaning and expresses a complete thought.
food good loves everyone healthy and.
Everyone loves good and healthy food.
We have four types of sentences in .
Types of Sentences
1. Declarative Sentence or Statement
2. Interrogative Sentence
3. Imperative Sentence
4. Exclamatory Sentence
It is a declaration-a simple statement of a fact. It can be negative or positive. It begins with a capital letter and ends with a full stop (.). It is also called an assertive sentence. Examples: I love old songs. I don’t like liars.
It begins with a capital letter, ends with a question mark (?) it asks a question.
When are you coming to Delhi?
Why is he so upset?
Am I late?
It expresses commands, orders and requests.
Clean this room fast.
Please help me lift this box.
Move in a line.
It expresses a sudden and strong feeling. It normally begins with words like Alas ! oh ! wow ! Hurray followed by a mark of exclamation.
Wow ! You look so beautiful.
Hurray ! We have won the game.
Alas ! She is no more.
What a fool I am !
Exercises for Practice
Identify the type of Sentence
1. Mother cooks food at home.
2. Virtue has its own reward.
3. Do you believe in God?
4. Oh! I am so sorry.
5. Do as you are told.
6. Please do not leave me alone.
7. Oh! My joy is beyond words.
8. Be quiet and move in a line.
1. Mother cooks food at home.( Declarative )
2. Virtue has its own reward.(Declarative)
3. Do you believe in God?(Interrogative)
4. Oh! I am so sorry.(Exclamatory)
5. Do as you are told.(Imperative)
6. Please do not leave me alone.(Imperative)
7. Oh! My joy is beyond words.(Exclamatory)
8. Be quiet and move in a line.(Imperative)
Rewrite the following as meaningful sentences
EXERCISE – 2
1. I new jeans a pair bought of.
2. spectacles wears he.
3. train getting the closer is.
4. you clean should wear clothes every day.
5. making you why a noise are.
1. I bought a pair of new jeans.
2. He wears spectacles.
3. The train is getting closer.
4. You should wear clean clothes every day.
5. Why are you making a noise?