Formal Letter Writing in English
How to Write a Formal Letter?, Formal Letter Writing Format, Formal Letters, Topics and Letter Writing Samples
Letter writing is an important Topic in the English writing skills section for school students. Everyone must know how to write a Letter. While writing a formal letter, one has to follow a simple Letter Writing Format.
A Formal letter can be written for various reasons. Here we have covered the Formal Letter Format written for different purposes. On the other hand, an Informal letter is written to one’s friends, family or relatives. As an Informal letter is not an official letter, one does not have to follow the format of an informal letter strictly. Here, we will discuss the Letter Writing types and Samples
- Types of Formal Letter
- Formal Letter Format
- How to Write a formal Letter
- Letter Writing Examples / Samples
Formal Letter Types and Examples
5. Order letter
10. Letter to the Bank manager
14. Leave Application for marriage
15. Leave Application for maternity
Format of a Formal Letter includes:
The following points need to be taken into consideration while writing a Formal letter-
a. A Formal Letter strictly follows the prescribed format for writing a Formal Letter.
b. Use of colloquial words, abbreviations and slang language should be restricted while writing a formal letter.
c. A Formal Letter must be precise and to the point.
d. The Subject line is very important in a Formal Letter.
The Format of a Formal Letter is as follows –
1. Sender’s address: The address and contact details of the sender are written here. Include an email and phone number, if required or if mentioned in the question.
2. Date: The date is written below the sender’s address after Leaving one space or line.
3. Receiver’s address: The address of the recipient of the mail (the officer/principal / Editor) is written here.
4. The subject of the letter: The main purpose of the letter forms the subject. It must be written in one line. It must convey the matter for which the letter is written.
5. Salutation (Sir / Respected Sir / Madam)
6. Body: The matter of the letter is written here. It is divided into 3 paragraphs as follows –
Paragraph 1: Introduce yourself and the purpose of writing the letter in brief.
Paragraph 2: Give detail of the matter.
Paragraph 3: Conclude by mentioning what you expect. (For example, a solution to your problem, to highlight an issue in the newspaper, etc).
7. Complimentary Closing
8. Sender’s name, signature and designation (if any)
|Body of the letter|
|Sender’s Name, signature and designation|
Letter Writing in English – Check out this Video for Complete info on Letter Writing Format
Informal Letter | How to write Informal Letter ?
A Letter written for an informal purpose is called an Informal letter. It is written for a casual purpose.
Let us discuss the types of an informal letter –
Types of Informal letter
1.Letter to parents
2. Letter to siblings
3. Informal Letter to friend
4. Letter to classmates
5. Letter to neighbors
For complete details please see – Informal letter Format, Examples, Topics. What is an Informal Letter?
- Learn English Writing Skills
- Essay writing in English, Topics, Examples, and Format
- Ten tips on writing a good essay
- Application letter to Bank Manager – Format, Types, Tips, Samples
- Class 10 English Lessons – Explanation
- Class 12 English Lessons Explanation
- Free Online English Test – MCQ Test Series
- English Writing Skills Class 10 to 12