Letter Writing in English
How to Write a Letter?, Letter Writing Format, Formal Letters, Topics and Letter Writing Samples
Letter writing is an important Topic in the English writing skills section for school students. Everyone must know how to write a Letter. While writing a formal letter, one has to follow a simple Letter Writing Format.
A Formal letter can be written for various reasons. Here we have covered the Formal Letter Format written for different purposes. On the other hand, an Informal letter is written to one’s friends, family or relatives. As an Informal letter is not an official letter, one does not have to follow the format of an informal letter strictly. Here, we will discuss the Letter Writing types and Samples
- Types of Formal Letter
- Formal Letter Format
- How to Write a formal Letter
- Letter Writing Examples / Samples
Formal Letter Types
5. Order letter
Format of a Formal Letter includes:
The following points need to be taken into consideration while writing a Formal letter-
a. A Formal Letter strictly follows the prescribed format for writing a Formal Letter.
b. Use of colloquial words, abbreviations and slang language should be restricted while writing a formal letter.
c. A Formal Letter must be precise and to the point.
d. The Subject line is very important in a Formal Letter.
The Format of a Formal Letter is as follows –
1. Sender’s address: The address and contact details of the sender are written here. Include an email and phone number, if required or if mentioned in the question.
2. Date: The date is written below the sender’s address after Leaving one space or line.
3. Receiver’s address: The address of the recipient of the mail (the officer/principal / Editor) is written here.
4. The subject of the letter: The main purpose of the letter forms the subject. It must be written in one line. It must convey the matter for which the letter is written.
5. Salutation (Sir / Respected Sir / Madam)
6. Body: The matter of the letter is written here. It is divided into 3 paragraphs as follows –
Paragraph 1: Introduce yourself and the purpose of writing the letter in brief.
Paragraph 2: Give detail of the matter.
Paragraph 3: Conclude by mentioning what you expect. (For example, a solution to your problem, to highlight an issue in the newspaper, etc).
7. Complimentary Closing
8. Sender’s name, signature and designation (if any)
|Body of the letter|
|Sender’s Name, signature and designation|
Letter Writing in English – Check out this Video for Complete info on Letter Writing Format
Informal Letter | How to write Informal Letter
A Letter written for an informal purpose is called an Informal letter. It is written for a casual purpose.
Let us discuss the types of an informal letter –
Types of Informal letter
1.Letter to parents
2. Letter to siblings
3. Informal Letter to friend
4. Letter to classmates
5. Letter to neighbors
For complete details please see – Informal letter Format, Examples, Topics. What is an Informal Letter?
Informal Letter Format
The following points need to be followed while writing an Informal letter-
a) An Informal Letter does not strictly follow the prescribed Format.
b) The language of an Informal Letter must be friendly and casual.
c) An Informal Letter can have extra information.
d) The Subject line is not required in an Informal Letter.
The Format of an Informal Letter is as follows –
1. Address: The address of the sender is followed by that of the receiver.
2. Date: The date is written below the address after leaving one line.
3. Salutation / Greeting (Dear / Hi / Hello)
4. Body: The matter of the letter is written here. It is divided into 3 paragraphs as follows –
a) Paragraph 1: beginning
b) Paragraph 2: Main content.
c) Paragraph 3: ending
5. Sender’s name and signature.
|Body of the letter|
|Sender’s Name and signature|
Letter Writing Examples – format of Sample Letters
Here are some solved questions for you to understand the correct format of letter writing
Example 1. Write a letter to the Mayor of your city seeking a solution to the problem of waterlogging in your area. You are Raj / Rani of Dharma Colony, Ramgarh.
|14 / 8, Dharma Colony|
|Date: 15 January 2021|
|Subject: Complaint regarding the problem of water logging in Dharma Colony|
|Sir / Madam|
|I am Raj, a resident of Dharma Colony. The residents of the area are facing a lot of problems due to water logging.|
Every year in the monsoon season, the area gets filled with water as the drainage system gets choked. We have requested the area committee many times, but the situation is still the same. The residents’ lives have become miserable as many water – borne diseases have spread. All the houses are submerged, and we are facing a tough time.
Please consider the issue as serious and find a solution at the earliest.
2. You are Garima / Gaurav. Write a letter to your friend Sanjana / Sanjay, inviting her / him to your birthday party. Give details regarding the day, time, venue, etc. Add interesting details like theme, dress code, etc.
|45, Jan Marg|
33, Khan Gali
|Date: 15 January 2021|
|Hi! You are invited to my birthday party on 25th August.|
The party will be at Archie’s Place, Nehru Park from 4:00 to 7:00 PM. As the party is based on the ‘Spiderman’ theme, please wear a dress in red / black color combination. It will be fun as I have arranged a Mask game, a ‘Spidey’ web game, and a never – seen – before neon light and music show. I am very excited as I will wear a special Spidey costume designed by my sister. Please come as it will be good to have your company. Also, bring your brother Saurav.
Waiting for your confirmation.
- Learn English Writing Skills
- Essay writing in English, Topics, Examples, and Format
- Ten tips on writing a good essay
- Application letter to Bank Manager – Format, Types, Tips, Samples
- Class 10 English Lessons – Explanation
- Class 12 English Lessons Explanation
- Free Online English Test – MCQ Test Series
- English Writing Skills Class 10 to 12