How to write an invitation? | Invitation Format Class 12, Sample, Formal and Informal Invitation and replies
- What is an Invitation
- Invitation and Reply Writing Video Explanation
- Invitation and Replies
- Invitation Format Class 12
- Format of an Informal Invitation
- Formal Replies
- Informal Replies
- Invitation Examples
What is an invitation ?
Invitation – An invitation is a written or verbal request inviting someone to go somewhere or to do something. An invitation is a request, a solicitation, or an attempt to get another person to join you at a specific event. When you ask people to attend a party, visit your beach house, or witness your marriage, you invite them by giving them an invitation.
It can be in the form of an invitation card which is generally considered as a formal invitation or it may be in the letter format which is more informal.
Related – Letter Writing Format, Informal Letter, Formal Letter, Sample
Invitation and Replies
In the class 12 CBSE English paper Invitation and Replies writing, choices will be given to attempt one out of the two given questions to be answered up to 50 words.
The breakup of 5 marks for Class 12 English writing skills | Invitation and reply writing as per CBSE guidelines is as follows:
Organisation of Ideas
Accuracy of Spelling and Grammar
Format of a formal invitation
The format shall include-
- Name of the host
- Standard expression (E.g., request the pleasure of your company, solicit your gracious presence)
- Purpose of the invitation
- Name of the honouree
- Day, date and time of the event- Dates must be written in letters and you should not use abbreviation.
- Name of the place, location with complete address- Enter the address, the venue of the party or event
- RSVP (Respond if it pleases you)- Include an RSVP – this elegant abbreviation comes from the French phrase “Répondez, s’il vous plait”; which in English means “Please respond”. An RSVP is essential at parties where you need to know exactly who will come, so you can organize things accordingly on the basis of their convenience.
- Telephone or mobile number or address of the host
- Any other relevant details
Related – Report Writing, Format, Sample, Topics, Examples
Name of the host
RSVP (Respond if it pleases you)
Format of an informal invitation
SENDER’s ADDRESS- The sender’s address is usually put on the top right-hand corner of the page.
DATE (In expanded) – The sender’s address is followed by the date just below it, i.e. on the right side of the page. This is the date on which the invitation is being written. It is to be written in expanded form.
SUBJECT- Then we sum up the purpose of writing the invitation in one line. This helps the receiver focus on the subject of the invitation in one glance. It is important to underline the subject.
SALUTATIONS- This is where you greet the person you are addressing the invitation to.
COMPLEMENTARY CLOSURE- Mention the name given in the question paper. Do not mention your personal details.
Features of a Formal invitation are as follows-
- The invitation should be written in third person and not in first or second person.
- Simple present tense is used.
- A polite and courteous tone should be used.
- It is a single sentence presentation.
- No signatures required.
- Dates must be written in letters and you should not use abbreviation. However, date of writing must not be mentioned.
- It ought to explain why the party or event is being held, “to celebrate…” or “to honour…”
- Length as per CBSE guidelines is limited to 50 words.
- It is generally enclosed in a box.
- It should answer to the 5Ws:
- WHAT- The occasion
- WHEN- Date and time
- WHERE- Venue
- WHO- Name of the host
WHOM- Name of the person being invited
Related – Informal Letter, Format, Topics, Examples
Features of an informal invitation are as follows-
- They are written to friends, relatives, and acquaintances.
- They follow the pattern of ordinary personal letters.
- They are written in first/second person.
- The style and tone is relaxed and informal.
- Different tenses are used as per the demand.
- The letter can be elaborate explaining the details of the event.
The features of a reply are as follows –
- A formal reply is usually very short. It is brief and to the point. The quality of a good reply is that it is always pleasant.
- Even while declining the invitation or expressing inability to attend, one must be polite and courteous.
- Formal replies demand a formal tone and treatment. There is no room for unnecessary details or superfluous matter in them.
- An informal reply or private letter may, however, express personal feeling or desires in an intimate style and informal tone.
The main characteristics of a formal reply are as follows:
• Acknowledge the invitation.
• Express thanks in the third person.
• Mention acceptance/regret.
• Specify the reason for the refusal.
• Be brief and specific.
• be formal in tone and treatment.
The main characteristics of an informal reply are as follows:
• Acknowledge the invitation in the first person.
• Use the second person for the sender of invitation.
• Mention acceptance/regret
• Specify the reason in case of refusal.
• Use warm and simple language.
* Do not exceed the word limit (usually 50)
SUGGESTED VALUE POINTS AS PER CBSE GUIDELINES:
Suggested value points
– invite the artiste
– what – school organising one-act play competition
– date, time, venue
– details of the event – classes involved, theme, category (interschool / inter-house)
– request to confirm
– any other relevant details.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION ON INVITATION WRITING CLASS 12, FORMAT, TIPS
QUESTION – What should I include in an invitation?
Answer: You should include the date, time, and location of the event, as well as the reason for the event and any special instructions or dress code.
QUESTION – What is the proper format for an invitation?
Answer: The format of an invitation typically includes the host’s name, the event title, date and time, location, RSVP instructions, and any other relevant details.
QUESTION – How can I make my invitation stand out?
Answer: Consider using creative language, unique designs, or personalized touches such as custom illustrations or handwritten notes.
QUESTION – What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing an invitation?
Answer: Avoid using unclear or overly casual language, forgetting to include important details, or making errors in the date, time, or location.
QUESTION – How far in advance should I send out invitations?
Answer: Typically, invitations should be sent out 4-6 weeks in advance of the event, to allow guests enough time to make arrangements to attend.
QUESTION – Should I use formal or informal language in my invitation?
Answer: This depends on the tone of the event and the audience. For formal events, formal language is appropriate, while informal language may be used for more casual events.
QUESTION – What are some tips for writing an effective invitation?
Answer: Be clear and concise, provide all necessary details, use appropriate language, and proofread for errors.
Invitation and Reply writing Examples
Below are a few solved questions for you so that you get an idea as to how to attempt class 12 English writing skills – invitation and reply writing question well. Remember, the more you read and practice, the better it is. As per, CBSE guidelines, it should not exceed the prescribed word limit.
1. You are Faiz/Falak Mazumdar living at 39, Udampur Colony, Shimla. You decide to hold a dinner party to congratulate your grandparents on their golden wedding anniversary. Draft a formal invitation in not more than 50 words to all family members to attend a grand dinner at home. 4
|Faiz/ Falak Mazumdar
request the pleasure of your benign presence
at the grand dinner
on the auspicious occasion of the
GOLDEN WEDDING ANNIVERSARY
39, Udampur Colony, Shimla
At 8:30 pm
18 MARCH, 20XX
Faiz/ Falak Mazumdar
39, Udampur Colony
01 March, 20XX
Dear Uncle/ Aunt/ any other family member
On the auspicious occasion of the Golden Wedding Anniversary of my grandparents, I invite you to the grand dinner at my residence. The dinner is scheduled to be on 18 March at 8:30 pm. Kindly confirm your presence by 15 March.
Faiz/ Falak Mazumdar
2. Write an invitation in not more than 50 words to your friend Rameshwari to spend her winter break with you in Mumbai. You are Puja/Puneet of 25, M.G. Road, Mumbai.
25, M.G. Road
10 December, 20XX
As the winters are approaching, I invite you to spend the winter break with me at my house in Mumbai. At that time, the weather here is pleasant due to sea winds. I will introduce you to my parents and close relatives. Kindly confirm your arrival by mid- December.
3. On 30th November, your school is going to hold its annual sports day. You want Mr. Dhanraj Pillai, a noted hockey player to give away the prizes to the budding sportspersons of the school. Write a formal invitation in about 50 words requesting him to grace the occasion. You are Karuna/ Karan, Sports Secretary, Sunrise Global School, Agra.
Sunrise Global School
01 November, 20XX
Our school is organising its Annual Sports Day on 30th November, 20XX. Your gracious presence will act as a catalyst and inspire us all. You are requested to hand over the prizes to the budding sportspersons of the school in our school ground at 2 pm.
Kindly confirm your availability by 20, November.
4. Draft an invitation in about 50 words, on behalf of your aunt, Meghna Menon, which she has to share to invite prior work colleagues to the inaugural event of her own investment consultancy firm, in the Acer mall, Kozhikode, Kerala. (CBSE SQP 2022-23)
cordially invites you to the inauguration ceremony of her new venture – Investright Consultancy.
At Shop Number 15, Acer Mall, Kozhikode.
On 10 December, 2022
At 11 AM
The pooja ceremony will be followed by Lunch.
Meghna Menon 33333333333
Formal and Informal Invitation Question Answers
Invitation and replies Previous Years Questions (with answers)
Q1. What are the steps in writing a formal invitation?
Invitations are just like writing normal letters except for a few details here and there.
The steps involved in the process of writing invitations are follows:
Step 1. While sending mails write the subject line.
The subject line contains the essence or gist of the invitation.
For example, while writing the invite to the guardians for annual day celebration your subject line should look like – “Invitation for the annual day celebration, 2022”.
Step 2. Add sender’s address.
After adding the letterhead (In case of formal invitation), kindly add the sender’s address.
This is an important step because this is the address where the guests will send in their RSVP’s.
Step 3. Mention the date.
One needs to mention the date for sending invitations.
The dates can be mentioned in following formats – 12/07/2020 or 7th December 2020 or December 7, 2020.
Step 4. Add the Recipient’s Address
Mention the recipient’s address in the next sentence, also write their names
Step 5. Salutation is important
One should begin letter with a greeting. They can mention – Dear Madam/Sir if the recipient’s name is unknown or if the invitation is being sent in numbers.
Salutation should be ended with a comma or a skip line.
Step 6. Main Body of the Letter
The invitation letter should be started with phrases like…
We’re pleased to welcome you…
Our organization will be venerated to welcome you as a guest…
It would be a pleasure for us if you could come…
We would be glad if you could come to…
On behalf of our organization, we would like to welcome you…
An invitation MUST contain the following details:
- Reason for the event
- The date and day on which the event is taking place
- Arrival time
- List of the special programs and events
- Request for a reply (RSVP)
- A map (Optional)
Step 7. Include the closing and signature
Gratitude should be expressed towards the recipient for the consideration of invitation. Mention that you’re looking forward to seeing them at the event. Mention the deadline by which you expect them to confirm their presence, via mail or a phone call. After all of this, write your contact information (email, phone number, etc.). Mention your designation in case of formal invitation letter.
Step 9. Proofread your Letter
Final look or the revision is necessary before sending the invitation. Also, Check grammar and punctuations.
Q2.. What are the different types of invitation in class 12?
The following types of invitation letters can be written:
- For attending an Exhibition
- Sales Invitation Letter
- Attending a Fundraising Event
- Business Event Invitation Letter
- Birthday Party Invitation Letter
- House warming invitation
- Invitation Letter for school function
- Wedding Invitation Letter
- Social Event Invitation Letter
- Baby Shower Invitation Letter
Q3. How do we write an informal invitation for class 12?Informal invitations are for personal occasions or celebrations, and they are written in the following manner:
- Always write in first person (I/we).
- Mention the sender’s address.
- Write the date for invitation.
- Salutation should be “Dear + name”.
- Always close it with ‘Yours sincerely’.
- Do not expect any reply in case of informal invitations, though replying is considered polite.
- Use less formal vocabulary.
Q4. What is the purpose of an invitation?
The main purpose of writing invitation letters is to know about the number of guests coming a few days before the date of the event, and then coordinating accordingly. An invitation letter helps the host to handle the event better, so that they can make arrangements in an efficient manner.
Q5. Write about the different parts of an invitation?
Talking about invitation, it is divided in various parts, which are as follows:
- The invitation card (For instance: Requests the pleasure of your company, cordially invites you to)
- Type of event /name/purpose (e.g., Dinner, reception, lunch etc.)
- Date of the event
- Hour at which the event will take place
- Venue of the event
- Reply instructions (e.g., reply card or phone number)
- Attire instructions in accordance to the event (Example; Formal, informal etc.)
Q6. How do you write a reply to a formal invitation?
A very professional and polite reply is expected to a formal invitation, the points be remembered are as follows:
- · Acknowledgement of the invitation.
- · Express thanks in third person i.e. we/us.
- · Always mention the acceptance/regret.
- · Always specify the reason for refusal.
- · Always be specific.
- · The tone should be formal.
- · The word limit should not go beyond 50 words per minute.
Q7. What are the steps to write an informal reply?
Informal invitation requires consideration and politeness, the steps to write an informal reply are:
Step 1 – Acknowledging the invitation (First person)
Step 2 – Second person should be used for the sender of invitation.
Step 3 – Mention acceptance/regret
Step 4 – Specify the reason for refusal
Q8. You are Dr. Suchitra Mukherjee. You have received an invitation from the Director, Health Services, Kharagpur, W.B, to preside over a gathering of leading medical practitioners attending a workshop on mental wellness on 09 November, 2022 at 11 a.m. in the Public Hospital, Jammu, J & K. Respond to accept the invitation in about 50 words. (CBSE SQP 2022-23)
Ans. 57, Patel Nagar
13 October, 20XX
Subject: Acceptance of invitation to the workshop on mental health
I have great pleasure in receiving the invitation from the Health Department, Kharagpur, to preside over a workshop on mental wellness on 09 November, 2022 at 11 a.m. in the Public Hospital, Jammu, J&K.
I confirm my presence with thanks. I will reach Jammu on 9 November, 2022 at 8AM by the Jammu Mail train.
Dr Suchitra Mukherji
Q9. Draft a formal reply accepting an invitation to be present on the occasion of the wedding of Ankush S/o Mr & Mrs Kumar of 24, Green Park Road, Kanpur. You are Vikram Gaur of Raja Ki Mandi, Agra.
Raja Ki Mandi
5 May, 20XX
24, Green Park Road
Subject: Acceptance of invitation to the wedding
Dear Mr Kumar
I thank you for inviting us on the occasion of the wedding of your son, Ankush at 24, Green Park Road, Kanpur on 15 May, 20XX and assure you that we will be present on the occasion to wish the newly weds a very happy married life.
We will reach Kanpur by the Agra Mail which leaves Agra at 8.00 a.m.
Q10. Write a formal reply expressing your inability to attend the birthday celebrations of your friend Suresh Pradhan of 1235, Vivekananda Marg, New Delhi. You are Somesh Basu.
14, New Town
16 March, 20XX
1235, Vivekananda Marg
I wish to thank you for extending an invitation to your birthday celebrations at your residence 1235, Vivekananda Marg, New Delhi on 20 March, 20XX and wish you a long and healthy life but regret my inability to be present personally, on account of some previous engagements.
I hope you have a memorable evening.
Q11.You are Dr Avinash Bhalla. You have received an invitation from the Director, Health Services, Haryana who has invited leading medical practitioners of the state to attend a workshop on ‘child care’ on 20 May, 20XX at 10 a.m. in Civil Hospital Ambala. Respond to the invitation.
19, TT Nagar
16 March, 20XX
Health Services, Haryana
Subject: Acceptance of the invitation to attend the workshop
Sir / Madam
I have great pleasure in receiving the invitation from the Director, Health Services, Haryana to attend a workshop on ‘Child Care’ on 20 May, 20XX at 10 a.m. in Civil Hospital Ambala.
I confirm my presence with thanks.
Dr. Avinash Bhalla
Q12. Draft a formal reply expressing your inability to attend the inauguration of the showroom ‘Regalia’ on Sunday, the 20th July 20XX, at 11 a.m. at B-12, Rohini. You are Navin Jain of C-5, G.K.II, New Delhi and your friend is G.L. Bansal of 23, Sunder Nagar, New Delhi.
15 July, 20XX
Subject: Inability to attend the inauguration
Dear Mr Bansal
We thank you for the invitation to the inauguration of your showroom ‘Regalia’ on Sunday, the 20th July 20XX, at 11 a.m. at B-12, Rohini, Delhi. However, we express our inability to be present on the occasion due to prior commitments.
Q13. You are Anushka. You have been invited to participate in a seminar on ‘Fundamental Rights of Children’, organized by the Lions Club of your district. Respond to the invitation by writing a letter to the Secretary of the club.
25, Aram Bagh Road
5 May, 20XX
Lions Club, Meerut
Sir / Madam
Subject: Acceptance of Invitation
I thank you for your invitation for a seminar on ‘Fundamental Rights of Children’, and your concern for the under-privileged children. I would like to utilize this opportunity to share my experiences with other like-minded enthusiasts and experts.
1 hereby confirm my participation in the seminar.
Q14. Mr Arun Vijay’s father died on 25 October, 20XX. His friends and relatives wrote to him condoling the death of his father. Draft a formal reply on behalf of Mr Verma, his address being 75, Ring Road, Alwar (Rajasthan).
75, Ring Road
10 Nov, 20XX
Mr Arun Vijay of 75, Ring Road, Alwar (Rajasthan) feels deeply indebted to all his friends, relatives and well-wishers who have been good enough to share his sorrow in his hour of bereavement. Their sympathy, love and kindness have given him the strength to bear the irreparable loss caused by the sad and sudden demise of his father.
Q15. You are Prof. P. Dutta, a. famous historian from Kurukshetra University. You have the honor of being invited as the chief guest at a public function. However, due to sudden illness you are unable to attend the same. Draft a suitable reply in about 50 words.
30 Canal Apartment
2 Nov, 20XX
KMC, Delhi University
Subject: Inability to attend the function
I want to express my thanks to the Secretary and members of the Citizens’ Forum for their kind invitation to me to act as the chief guest at their public function to celebrate Martyr’s Day. However, I regret my inability to attend the function due to sudden illness this morning which has confined me to the bed.
The inconvenience and embarrassment is regretted.
Q16. Draft a reply accepting an invitation to be present on the birthday celebrations of your friend’s son. You are Devesh Ahuja and your friend is Alok Gupta of 42, Ashok Vihar, Delhi.
15, TP Nagar
20 Sept., 20XX
42, Ashok Vihar
I wish to thank you for inviting me to the birthday celebrations of your son Chirayu at your residence 42, Ashok Vihar, Delhi on 25 September, 20XX at 5 p.m.. I assure you that I will be present on the occasion to wish the young boy many happy returns of the day.
Q17.You are Abhay, the captain of your school cricket team. You have received an invitation from the St. Thomas Public School, Lucknow to play a friendly exhibition match at their playground. Respond to this invitation.
St Kabir School
Sector 14, Panchkula
15 October, 20XX
St. Thomas Public School
Subject: Acceptance of invitation to friendly exhibition match
Sir / Madam
The undersigned thanks the captain of the Cricket Eleven of St. Thomas Public School, Lucknow for his invitation to play a friendly exhibition match on their playground on the 24th of October. He cordially accepts the invitation and hopes to reach Lucknow with his team on the 23rd October by evening.
Cricket Team Captain,
St Kabir School, Panchkula.
Q18.You are Varsha. You have been invited to attend the wedding of your friend’s sister during summer vacation. Respond to the invitation, regretting your inability to attend it.
204, Vasant Kunj
6 March, 20XX
15, Mall Road
Thank you for your cordial invitation on the occasion of your sister’s wedding. I, however, regret my inability to be with you on this happy occasion as we shall be leaving for Srinagar for summer holidays on 1 May, 20XX. Please excuse my absence. Do convey my regards and best wishes to the couple.
Q19.You are Manoj. You have been invited to attend a birthday party of your closest friend. Respond to this invitation.
Raven Organics 7
Orchard Road Mumbai-21
16th March 2022
121, Sky Towers
I have received your invitation for your birthday party on 25 March, 2022 at 5 p.m. at Hotel Janpath. I am extremely happy to know that all our old friends are likely to be there.
I would like to confirm my participation.
Looking forward to the momentous occasion.
Q20.You are Aparna. Your school has been invited to participate in an inter-school On-the-spot painting competition organized by the Lottery Club of your district. As General Secretary of the Painting Club of your school, respond to the invitation.
Sunshine International School
30th January 2022
Subject: Acceptance of invitation to the painting competition
This refers to your invitation to our school to participate in the inter-school on-the- spot painting competition. We thank you for inviting us and gladly confirm our participation in this interesting competition.
Q21.You are Geeta. You have been selected to represent your school in a seminar on ‘Education for All’, organized by Government Of India. Write a letter to the Professor Incharge requesting her to send you a copy of the working paper prepared for the seminar to enable you to prepare yourself on the subject.
7 March, 20XX
The Professor In Charge
Government of India
Subject: Education for All
I would like to thank you for inviting our school for the proposed seminar on ‘Education for All’ being organized by your Institute.
Kindly send me a copy of the working paper prepared for the seminar so that I can prepare myself properly and make a meaningful contribution in the deliberations at the seminar.
Looking forward to an early response.
Q22.You have been invited to an evening bash at the Haldiram’s by Ramesh, your close friend,to celebrate his selection in NDA. Respond to the invitation. You are Arjun of 459, Rajouri Garden, New Delhi.
459, Rajouri Garden
10 May, 20XX
13, Ashok Vihar
Thank you very much for your pleasant invitation. I want to congratulate you on your admission to the NDA. I’ll join the evening bash at Haldiram’s on 16th May at 6 p.m.
With best wishes.
Q23.You are Shiv Kumar, a noted educationist. You have been invited by the Value Education Club of Vivekanand Sr. Sec. School, Kamla Nagar, New Delhi to deliver a talk on ‘The Importance of Devotion, Dedication and Discipline’ on a date and time convenient to you. Respond to the invitation.
Sector 21A, Faridabad
25 August, 2022
Value Education Club
Vivekanand Sr. Sec. School
Kamla Nagar, New Delhi
Subject: Invitation to deliver a talk
I thank you for your invitation to speak on a topic ‘The Importance of Devotion, Dedication and Discipline’ which is dear to me. I hope Friday, the 12th September, 2022, 11 AM will be acceptable to you.
Q24.You are Monica Fernandez. Your friend Mridula has invited you to her engagement ceremony to be held at the Hallmark Resorts on 1 April 20XX at 6 p.m. Respond to the invitation.
D 27 Vayu Vihar
25 March, 2022
12, Green Park
Thank you very much for the invitation to join your engagement ceremony celebrations at the Hallmark Resorts on the 1st April, 2022 at 6 p.m. I could never think of missing the golden opportunity to see the youngman, our ‘jijaji’ and will be there positively.
But halt! The date surprises me. Are you serious or kidding me?
Let us see who plays the fool—one for a day and the other for a whole life.
With best wishes.
Q25.You are Abhishek. You have received a letter from your close friend, inviting you to attend the marriage of his sister. But, unfortunately, you cannot attend it due to your previous commitments. Write him a letter regretting your inability to attend the marriage ceremony.
77, Richard Apartments
19th June 2022
36, Gulmohar Avenue
I feel honored for being invited to attend the marriage of your elder sister, Kunika. Please accept my thanks and congratulations.
Unfortunately, due to some unavoidable previous commitments, I shall not be able to attend the ceremony. Kindly do not take it otherwise.
Please do accept a small wedding gift that I am sending for Kunika ‘Didi’ through courier on this auspicious occasion.
Q26.You have received an invitation from your aunt at Manali to spend some days during your summer vacation with her. Respond to this invitation. You are Sammy, of 68, Vijay Nagar, New Delhi
3rd May 2022
Thank you very much for inviting me to spend some part of my summer vacation with you at Manali. I hope to reach Manali by the 15th of May and will stay there for a week.
Q27.You are Kushal Gupta, eminent economist. You have received an invitation from the Tiger’s Club to speak on the salient features of the latest budget. Regret your inability due to previous commitments.
123, Gaur City
31st March 2022
Subject: inability to accept the invitation
Thanks for sending me an invitation to speak on the salient features of the latest union budget. I regret my inability to join you on the date suggested by you due to heavy and unavoidable prior commitments.
BELOW IS THE LINK TO THE SAMPLE PAPER ALONG WITH IT’S MARKING SCHEME:
ALL THE BEST.
Also See :
4. Application for School/College leaving Certificate
5. Order letter
10. Letter to the Bank manager
13. Leave application for school, College, Office Samples
14. Leave Application for marriage
15. Leave Application for maternity
17.Letter to the Principal, Format, Samples
- Learn English Writing Skills
- Essay writing in English, Topics, Examples, and Format
- Ten tips on writing a good essay
- Class 9 English Explanation, Summary
- Class 10 English – Explanation
- Class 12 English Lessons Explanation
- Free Online English Test – MCQ Test Series