Answers must be written in German
1. Structure of Language :
Candidates are expected to have a thorough knowledge of German grammar with reference to specific aspects such as word order, syntactic structures and semantics.
2. Essay in German :
Candidates are expected to demonstrate command over techniques of written expression in German by writing an essay on a contemporary topic of a general nature.
1. Translation of a text of a general nature from English into German.
2. Socio-political and cultural history of Germany from the 18th century onwards with special reference to :
Answers must be written in German.
1. Development of German literature from the 19th century to the present.
Candidates should know the main trends, representative authors and their important works. The emphasis is not on collecting information on works and authors, but the candidate is expected to identify features of a literary epoch on the basis of representative texts.
2. The Study of literary genres.
Candidates must be aware of the characteristic features of the different genres like Roman, Novelle, Drama, Ballade, Elegie, Marchen, Fabein, Kurzgeschichte.
1. Perceptions of Literary Interpretation.
Candidates should be aware of various approaches to a critical understanding of literature.
2. Sutdy of Selected Texts.
>>> UPSC Syllabus Index