Entrance Exam

Your No1 source for Latest Entrance Exams, Admission info






Home > admission news > West Bengal Common Entrance Test delayed yet again: Report

West Bengal Common Entrance Test delayed yet again: Report

The Common Entrance Test (CET), designed to serve as the gateway to various postgraduate programs offered by universities in West Bengal, has been delayed further by one year.

According to reports, the vice-chancellors of the participating universities who also happen to be serving members in the West Bengal Council for Higher Education, met in March and decided in favor of postponing the West Bengal Common Entrance Test for post graduate programs by one year.

“The council does not have adequate infrastructure to hold the test. Only nine officials are members of the council. It is impossible to hold the entrance test which will see more than a lakh candidates taking the exam. To conduct the test College Service Commission has been asked to lend their support,” said a council official, Times of India reports.

Earlier, a five member committee was set up that included Abhijeet Chakraborty from Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, vice-chancellor of Burdwan University – Smriti Kumar Sarkar, VC of Netaji Subhash Open University -Subha Shankar Sarkar, VC of Vidyasagar University Ranjan Chakraborty along with vice-chairman of the council Malayendu Saha.

It has been decided that the committee will soon start framing guidelines to hold the CET from 2015-16 academic session

A previous committee set up to examine the admission process in West Bengal universities concluded that 95 per cent of PG seats in a university were usually reserved for its own graduates. This practice, according to the report, restricted “mobility and [thus] affecting student quality”.

However, according to the new guidelines issued by the state higher education department, from 2013 onwards all universities are bound to reserve no more than 60 per cent of their seats fro students from their respective affiliated colleges. The remaining 40 per cent seats, meanwhile, were left open for students of other universities.

Related News:  

No CET for PG course in West Bengal, yet again

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.