Senior Research Fellowships/Research Associates
Applications are invited from Indian nationals in the prescribed form (printed as Annexure A) by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi, for the Senior Research Fellowship (SRFs)/Research Associateships (RAs) to provide opportunities to bright young men and women for training in methods of research under the expert guidance of faculty members/scientists working in universities, laboratories and institutes of Government Departments and recognized laboratories of industry in various fields of science and technology. Preference will be given to the research topics relevant to R & D programs of CSIR Laboratories, in the new and emerging fields of science and in the areas of importance for development of scientific and technological capability of the country.
- A list of CSIR labs/institutes and their thrust areas is appended as annexure in the advertisement.
- Fellowships/Associateships are tenable in all the universities and deemed universities/IITs/postgraduate colleges/government research establishments including those CSIR, R & d establishments or recognised public sector, industrial firms and other recognised institutions.
- Only bonafide Indian citizens are eligible for the award.
- CSIR reserves the right to determine the place in India best suited to provide necessary facilities in the areas of science in which the awardee is to specialise.
- Selected Fellows and Associates will have to devote their full-time to the approved research program.
- Fellows & Associates are not permitted to take up any other remunerative jobs/assignment during their tenure. They are required to submit annual reports.
- Area of proposed research work : Select the code no. of broad area applicable to your project and mention it in the column provided at the top of application form. The candidates cannot apply in more than one code.
Also See : Scholarships 2018
Senior Research Fellowships
- An applicant should have M.Sc/B.E/B.Tech or equivalent degree and should have completed at least two years of post M.Sc/B.E/B.Tech research experiences as on a date of December, as evidenced from fellowship or associateship or from date of registration for Ph.D. OR
- Should have M.Tech/ME or equivalent degree in engineering/technology. OR
- Should have MBBS/BDS with one year internship. OR
- Should have B.Pharm/BVSc/(Ag) or equivalent degree and should have completed at least three years research experience as on a date of December, as evidenced from fellowship or associateship or from date of registration for Ph.D. OR
- Should have M.Pharm/MVSc/(Ag) or equivalent degree and should have at least one year research experience as on a date of December.
- Documents in support of research experience should be attached.
- Only those candidates having at least 60% marks in master’s degree or in B.Pharm, BVSc, B.Sc (Ag) or equivalent degree under essential qualification are eligible to apply.
- Those who have been awarded Ph.D/MD/MS/MDS degree or have submitted thesis for the award of Ph.D/MD/MS/MDS degree or have submitted thesis for the award of Ph.D/MD/MS/MDS degrees are not eligible for the position of SRF, Those who are eligible for RA will not be considered for SRF.
- Employed Candidates: These fellowships are held on a full-time basis. Therefore simultaneous employment elsewhere is not permitted. However, those desirous of pursuing higher studies, but employed presently, whether temporary or permanent may apply with an undertaking that if selected. They will resign the job before taking up the fellowship. The application will be rejected if the undertaking is not enclosed.
- For Science disciplines: Rs. 5600 per month for 1st, 2nd and 3rd years. For Medical/Vaterinary/Pharmacy disciplines
- Engineering graduates: Rs. 6000 p.m. for the 1st 2nd years and Rs. 6400 p.m. for the 3 rd & 4 th year. In addition, each SRF will receive a contingent grant of a maximum Rs. 10,000 p.a.
- The grant will be provided to the University/Institution with which the SRF will be affiliated.
- SRFs will be given Rs. 3000 (lump sum) extra on submission of Ph.D thesis in e-form.
- SRF will be tenable initially for a period of two years. The term is extendable by one year on the basis of assessment of the progress already made.
- Those who have held or are holding fellowships awarded under various schemes of all India grant giving agencies such as DST, DBT, ICMR, UGC, ICAR, etc., may apply subject to the condition that the total tenure inclusive of CSIR fellowship shall not exceed three years. Those who have already availed equivalent fellowship, etc., for 3 years need not apply.
- Those who are already holding equivalent fellowship should specify for applying. The application is likely to be rejected if the reason is not specified.
- SRF (Extended): All those candidates who have submitted their ph. D/MD/MS/MDS thesis can apply under this category. All such candidates must submit necessary documents issued by the competent authority, as proof of their having submitted the thesis. In the absence of such documents, application will be rejected. The selected candidates will be offered SRF extended for a period of one year only at a stipend of Rs. 6400 p.m. (Consolidated).
- The applicant should have a Ph.D before the last date of application (in medical science subject) or ME/M.Tech/M.Pharm/MVSc with three years research and development experience as on a date of December. Documents in support of research experience should be attached.
- It is desirable to have research publications in standard referred journals as listed in Journal Citation Report (JCR), etc.
- Employed candidates, whether temporary or permanent and also those who have already availed higher fellowships like Senior Research Associateships, etc., will not be considered for RAship.
- The stipend of Ra will be one of the following : Rs. 8000 p.m. (fixed)
- Rs. 8800 p.m. (fixed)
- Rs. 10,500 p.m. (fixed)
- In addition, each RA will receive a contingent grant of maximum of Rs. 10,000 p.a., which will be provided to the concerned University/Institution.
- RAship will be tenable initially for one year. It may be extended further at the discretion of CSIR based on three member assessment committee report.
- The total tenure for Raship is fixed for 3 years. Under the revised plan it may be extended for another two years (3+2) at higher level and after strict scrutiny of RA’s performance as evidenced from publications in JCR reports/patents and referee assessment committee’s report.
- Those who have held or are holding equivalent Associateships under various schemes of all-India grant giving agencies such as DST, DBT, ICMR, UGC, ICAR, etc., may apply subject to the conditions that the total tenure of Raship including that or CSIR shall not exceed five years. Those who have already availed equivalent grant of any kind for five years need not apply.
Fellowships/Associateships for Centre for Global Change
A few fellowships will also be awarded for working in the Centre for Global change at the National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi.
This Centre is involved in research related to atmospheric measurements inventorization and budget estimations of Greenhouse and other trace gases, atmospheric pollutants and their impact on agriculture, health and water resources, land use and land cover change, Indo-Gangetic plane, etc., related to Geosphere-Biosphere Program. This center is also one of the three international Data Centres of INDOES Program and is supposed to provide all the data collected using different platforms during INDOEX period to its users. It also houses the South Asian Regional Research and Centre (SAS-RRC) of the International System for Analysis, Research and Centre (SAS-RRC) of the International System for Analysis, Research and Training (START)
- For RA: Ph.D in Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics or Environmental Science. For SRF :M.Sd/B.E/B.Tech or equivalent degree in Physics, Chemistry, Maths with minimum 60% marks and two years of research experience.
- The candidates should have experience in areas like Atmospheric Chemistry/Physics, or Mathematical modeling in climate and its impact on agriculture and health. Experience in adavance computer language, IT tools will be an additional advantage.
- The candidates applying under this program should apply under the subject code GLOBE 32.
Instructions for Applying under Globe 32:
- The proposed topic of research need not be written. Applications not to be forwarded by any university/Institution.
- The selected applicants should be willing to work at National physical Laboratory, New Delhi or anywhere in India as recommended by the Selection Committee.
- All other conditions remains same as for other subject codes.
Other Conditions for All Age Limit:
- Senior Research Fellow: The upper age limit is 32 years as on a date of April of the following year.
- Research Associate: T he upper age limit is 35 years as on a date of April of the following year.
- Age limit is relaxable by five years for women candidates, scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, OBCs and physically handicapped on production of suitable certificates from the competent authority.
Selection Procedure for SRF/RA:
- Selection will be made through interview of candidates short-listed on the basis of their academic records, experience and assessment of research work already carried out and published by the candidates, by discipline wise high-level expert committees.
- The Candidate called for interview will be paid single second class rail fare to-and-fro by the shortest route. Merely fulfilling of the essential qualifications will not entitle a candidate for being called for interview.
- CSIR reserves the right to call or not to call a candidate for interview.
- The application fee of Rs. 400 (Rs. Four Hundred only) in the form of Crossed Demand Draft preferably of SBI and Syndicate Bank payable to the Head, HRD, CSIR Complex, Pusa, New Delhi, should accompany the application.
- The application fee for OBC candidates is Rs. 200 (Rs. Two Hundred only).
- The application fee for Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe and Physically handicapped candidates is Rs. 100 (Rs One Hundred only).
- The candidates should note that applications received without the prescribed fee will not be entertained.
- Completed application together with application fee and attested copies of certificates and other documents should be sent to the Deputy Secretary, Human Resource Development Group, CSIR Complex, Library Avenue, Pusa, New Delhi-110012 by a date of December.
- Application received after the prescribe date or incomplete applications will be rejected.
- No interim correspondence will be entertained.
- The decision of CSIR on all aspects of selection process will be final.
- No refund of application fee can be made under any circumstances.
Instructions, subject codes, formats of applications form and other general conditions are published with the advertisement.
Notifications are published in November-December every year
Please read Employment News for more details and applications formats