Rhodes Trust announces Rhodes Scholarship 2020 for India
Rhodes Scholarship 2020 for India – Rhodes Scholarships are awarded for pursuing full-time postgraduate studies at the University of Oxford, UK. Rhodes Scholars have selected from many countries around the world annually.
Each year, there are five Scholarships available for India. The first Indian Rhodes Scholars took up residence in Oxford in 1947, and since that time over two hundred Indians have been awarded the Scholarship.
- The Rhodes Scholarship programme is the oldest (established 1903) international scholarship programme in the world, and one of the most prestigious. Administered by the Rhodes Trust in Oxford, the Program offers 100 fully-funded Scholarships each year for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom – one of the world’s leading universities
- Rhodes Scholarships are for young leaders of outstanding intellect and character who are motivated to engage with global challenges, committed to the service of others and show promise of becoming value-driven, principled leaders for the world’s future.
See: Scholarships in India 2019
Eligibility Criteria for Rhodes Scholarship 2020 for India
- Nationality/Citizenship: Candidates must be a citizen of India, holding an Indian passport, or equivalent proof of citizenship; PIO or OCI card holders do not satisfy the Indian citizenship criteria for this purpose.
- Education/Residency: You must have undertaken formal study at an educational institution in India for a minimum of 4 of the last 10 years, and have either (i) completed a school leaving exam (10th or 12th standard or equivalent) at a school in India, or (ii) have received, or be in the final year of an undergraduate degree at a university in India.
- Age Criteria: You must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 25th birthday on 01st October 2020, which means you must have been born after 30th September 1995 and on or before 01st October 2001
- Please Note: For medical students and medical doctors who are pursuing, or who have completed their one-year internship (CRRI), the age limit is extended by one year; in these cases, you must have been born after 30th September 1994 and on or before 01st October 2001
- Selection for the Rhodes Scholarship is made without regard to financial means
- Selection for the Rhodes Scholarship is made without regard to marital status, race, ethnic origin, colour, gender, religion, sexual orientation, social background, disability, caste or other irrelevant distinction
- The provision of such information in the ‘Outreach’ section of the application form is optional but helps us to ensure that our selection processes are fair and that our outreach efforts are effective; those involved in selection will only see summary statistics of these responses in an anonymised format that cannot be tracked back to the individual.
- You are applying for a Rhodes Scholarship for entry to the University of Oxford in October 2020; the scholarship cannot be deferred.
- The Rhodes Scholarship is confirmed only upon successful admission to the University of Oxford.
- No selection will be made if a sufficiently qualified candidate cannot be found.
- The decision of the Selection Committee is final
See: National Scholarship 2019
Rhodes Scholarship 2020 for India Application Procedure
- Candidates can apply online from 01st June 2019 at http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk via the scholarships tab
- Candidates must submit your application online, with all supporting documents, by 23:59 India Standard Time, 31st July 2019
- In preparation for making your application, you should carefully read the general information, particularly that held on the Scholarships tab, on the Rhodes website, the Conditions of Tenure for the Rhodes Scholarship, the information in this document and the graduate admissions pages of the University of Oxford www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate
- If you are longlisted you will be invited to attend a preliminary, personal interview in New Delhi. If you are not ordinarily resident in India you may be interviewed preliminarily by video conference or telephone
Rhodes Scholarship 2020 for India Important Dates
- Applications must be submitted online by 23:59, Indian Standard Time, 31st July 2019