National Board for Higher Mathematics PhD in Mathematics / Applied Mathematics for the academic year 2020-21
NBHM Doctoral Scholarship Scheme 2020 – The National Board for Higher Mathematics (NBHM) invites applications to appear for its Doctoral Scholarship Test scheduled for Saturday, 25 January 2020. Scholarships for pursuing doctoral studies (PhD) in Mathematics / Applied Mathematics for the academic year 2020-21
NBHM Doctoral Scholarship 2020
- The test is the first of two steps in the selection process for grant of the NBHM Doctoral Scholarship 2020 (hereafter called “the scholarship”).
- The test scores are also used for screening of candidates for admissions to PhD / integrated
- PhD programmes of certain institutions including:
- Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI)
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali (IISER Mohali)
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune (IISER Pune)
- National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER)
- The Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc)
Details of the scholarship
- The scholarship is granted for a term of four years starting August 2020, but needs to be renewed every year, the renewal being subject to satisfactory progress as judged by NBHM. It is extendable to a fifth year at NBHM’s discretion.
- It consists of a monthly fellowship and a contingency grant, the rates of which are revised from time to time. The current rates are as follows: monthly fellowship Rs. 31,000/- for the first two years and Rs. 35,000/- for the subsequent two / three years; yearly contingency grant Rs. 40,000/-. In addition, house rent allowance (HRA) is payable as per central government norms.
Also See Top PhD Entrance Exams in India
Eligibility Criteria for NBHM Doctoral Scholarship Scheme 2020
- Eligibility to receive the NBHM Ph.D. scholarship is restricted to students who have completed their B.S./M.A./M.Sc. (or equivalent) degree and have secured admission to a recognized Ph.D. programme on or before August 2020
- Selection will be on the basis of performance in the test and the subsequent interview. Candidates will be shortlisted for the interview based on the performance in the test. At the time of the interview, the academic track record of the candidate will be scrutinised and taken into consideration.
- The test is scheduled for Saturday, 25th January 2020, 1030 to 1330 hrs. It will feature questions requiring short answers (including multiple choice, possibly with negative marking as indicated) from areas of mathematics that a student with a masters degree is expected to know. Question papers from previous years along with the keys are available from the NBHM website and also from this repository. These however should be taken with a pinch of salt: the pattern and difficulty level of the test are subject to change without any notice whatsoever.
- The test will be conducted at the following centres, divided into five zones:
- Zone 1: Chandigarh, New Delhi, Srinagar.
- Zone 2: Indore, Jabalpur, Prayagraj, Raipur.
- Zone 3: Goa, Mumbai, Pune, Vallabh Vidyanagar.
- Zone 4: Bhubaneswar, Guwahati, Kolkata, Ranchi, Shillong, Tezpur.
- Zone 5: Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Kochi, Kozhikode
NBHM Doctoral Scholarship Scheme 2020 Application Process
- Applications to appear for the written test will be accepted exclusively online through the following portal: https://nbhmscholarships.in/
- The application portal will open around 26th November and will remain open until 5th January 2020.
- An application fee (along with applicable collection charges) needs to be paid online at the time of the application. For applications completed on or before the 25th of December, the application fee will be Rs. 500; for applications completed after that date, the fee will be Rs. 650.
- The first centre-wise sorted list of candidates for the test will be published around 20th December. A second list will be published around the 1st of January and a third list around 12th January.
NBHM Doctoral Scholarship Scheme 2020 Important Dates
- Online application portal scheduled to open: 26th November 2019
- First centre-wise list of candidates for the test published: 20ty December 2019
- Application fee hike will kick in: 26th December 2019
- Second centre-wise list of candidates published: 01st January 2020
- Application portal closes: 05 January 2020
- Third and final centre-wise list of candidates published: 12th January 2020
- The test: 25 January 2020
For more details, please visit https://www.imsc.res.in/~nbhm/DST_2020/dst2020_advert.pdf
Government of India, National Board for Higher Mathematics, Department of Atomic Energy, Anushakti Bhavan, C.S.M. Marg, Mumbai-400001, Website www.imsc.res.in, https://nbhmscholarships.in/