NATIONAL OVERSEAS SCHOLARSHIPS
Applications are invited on prescribed form for at least 30 awards of scholarships for higher studies abroad from candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Scheduled Castes converts to other religions or their dependents, Denotified Nomadic and semi-Nomadic Tribes and Children of landless agricultural labourers and Traditional Artisans of communities other than above.
Also See : Scholarships 2019
Scholarships are Available for:
(a) Ph.D, Post Doctoral Research & Masters’ Programme in the following specified courses only:
Automation Robotics including Artificial Intelligence, Mechatronics and Manufacturing Technology,
Naval Architecture/Offshore Structure,
Information Technology including Computer Engineering/Software Quality Assurance/Networking/Connectivity Engineering/Communication System under Hazardous or Post-Disaster Conditions/Multimedia Communication,
- Low Temperature Thermal Dynamics,
Art Restoration Technology,
Ceramic & Glass Technology,
Dock and Harbour Engineering,
- Aircraft/Space Engineering,
- Imaging System Technology,
- Graphic Engineering,
Composite Materials Engineering including Decentralised Power Distribution (for solar heat) System/Energy Storage Engineering/Energy Conservation/Energy Efficient Habitat Engineering,
- Satellite/Remote Sensing,
- Packaging Engg./Technology,
- Nuclear Engineering.
- Minimum Qualification:
Post Doctoral: 1st class or 60% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Master’s degree (second class with 50% marks in case of STs), Ph.D and 5 years’ research/teaching/Professional experience.
Ph.D: 1 st class or 60% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Master’s degree (second class with 50% marks in case of STs) and 2 years’ teaching/Professional experience or M.Phil Degree in concerned field.
Minister’s Degree: 1 st class or 60% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Bachelor’s degree (second class with 50% marks in case of STs) and 2 years’ work experience in the concerned field.
- Age: Below 35 years, as on first day of the month of the Advertisement of the Scheme.
- Income Ceiling: Total Income not exceeding Rs. 12,000 per month from all sources for the employed candidates or his/her parents/guardians (excluding such allowances as are not treated as part of total income for purpose of income-tax). A copy of a latest tax-assessment, be also enclosed with application.
- Validity Period/Duration: Candidates are required to obtain admission and join only the accredited university/institution within 3 years from the date of communication of selection. On expiry of this specified period of time, the award will authomatically get cancelled and come to an end. Scholarships are provided only upto the completion of studies or the following period whichever is earlier:
- Post-Doctoral : 1and ½ years
- Ph.D : 4 years
- Master’s Degree : 3 years
- Value of Scholarship:
- Maintainenance allowance of US $ 7700 per annum (Pound Sterling 5000 per annum per candidate in UK) for all courses;
- Contingency allowance upto US $ 500 per annum (Pound Sterling 325 per annum candidate in UK) for books/essential apparatus/study tour/typing and binding of thesis, etc.;
- Equipment allowance of Rs. 1100, upto $ 15 to cover incidental journey expenses;
- Economy Air passage from India and back;
- Actual Poll tax, if any;
- Visa fee in Indian Rupees; and
- Tuition and other compulsory University fees and medical insurance premia, if any.
- Earning from Research/Training Assistanceship: The awardees are permitted to supplement their prescribed allowances by undertaking Research/Training Assistanceship upto U3 Dollars 2400 per annum and for awardees in United Kingdom, Pound Sterling 1560 per annum and beyond these prescribed ceilings, their maintenance allowance under the scheme will be correspondingly reduced by the Indian Missions abroad.
- General Conditions: Only one child of the same parents/guardians will be eligible. Selected candidates will be required to execute a bond with at least two sureties of an amount of Rs. 50,000 each or the actual amount spent by Government of India, whichever is more. The award can be availed only once by the candidate under the scheme. The candidate finally selected for award under the scheme will also execute Record Release Consent Form and other such bonds/undertakings/documents with the Government of India and Indian Mission abroad as deemed necessary. The married candidates, in principle, are not allowed to take their spouse and children with them abroad or join them subsequently during the period of the study. The awardees will be governed by the regulations of the Scheme. Final decision with regard to country/institution of choice will rest with the Government. The candidates are required to make their own effort seeking admission in accredited University/Institution abroad. Further details may be obtained on request.
- Attested copies of the following documents must accompany applications;
- Matriculation or other certificate as proof of date of birth
- Caste certificate from competent authority
- All Degrees/Diplomas/Certificate with mark-sheets
- Income certificate (in original).
- Employed candidates must send their applications through employer along with a NOC from the employer, who should forward it to this Ministry. In case of final selection, the employed awardee has to sort out himself/herself all administrative matters like study leave, salary, etc., with his/her employers. The prescribed application form in case of candidates other than Scheduled Tribes may be obtained in person or by registered post/Ad, from the Section Officer (SCDV), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Room No. 240, “A” Wing, Shastri Bhawan, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Road, New Delhi-110001 and filled-in application form in person or by registered post/Ad be sent to the same address so as to reach latest by a date of January
The Scheduled Tribe candidates likewise are required to obtain the application from the Section Officer (TD(B)), Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Room No. 217-D, D-Wing, Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi-110001 and the filled-in application form be sent to the same address so as to reach latest by a date of April.
Notifications for the proforma are published in April (extended). Normally, a date of January is fixed as the last date of receipt of application.
Notifications for the programme are published in December.
NATIONAL OVERSEAS SCHOLARSHIPS
FOR SCHEDULED CASTES, SCHEDULED TRIBES, SCHEDULED
CASTES CONVERTS TO OTHER RELIGIONS, DENOTIFIED
NOMADIC AND SEMI-NOMADIC TRIBES AND CHILDREN OF
LANDLESS AGRICULTURAL LABOURERS AND TRADITIONAL
ARTISANS OF COMMUNITIES