TANCET 2018 Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to TANCET 2018 Frequently Asked Questions are given in this post. Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test TANCET 2018 will be conducted by the Anna University for admission to post graduate programmes in the colleges of Tamil Nadu. Applications for TANCET 2018 will be available online and at the coordinating centres.
Question: What is TANCET?
Answer: Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET) has to be taken by students who want admission into Post graduate programmes (MBA, MCA & ME/M.Tech/M.Arch/M.Plan) offered by Anna University and colleges affiliated to Anna University as well as to some other aided and unaided universities.
Question: What is the examination pattern of TANCET?
Answer: There are 3 parts to be answered in the question paper. Part 1 and Part 2 are mandatory; Part 3 allows a choice to the candidate to choose from the allotted 13 subjects. (Please give links to exam pattern)
TANCET 2018 Exam Pattern
The examination pattern of TANCET 2018 is different for MBA, MCA and M.Tech./M.Arch./M.E./M.Plan.
TANCET Exam pattern for MBA
The paper consists of 100 multiple choice questions. Every question has four options, out of which one is the correct answer. Each correct response is awarded one mark. There is negative marking for wrong answers.
Each incorrect response carries a deduction of 1/3 marks. The duration of the test is 120 minutes.
TANCET Exam pattern for MCA
The paper consists of 100 multiple choice questions. Some questions are based on verbal activity, basic science, etc. each question has four alternate answers of which one is correct. Every correct response bears 1 mark and there is negative marking for wrong answers.
TANCET Exam pattern for M.Tech./M.Arch./M.E./M.Plan
The question paper comprises three parts. The first and second part is compulsory whereas the candidates are allowed to choose one section in third part. The third part includes 14 sections of which the candidates have to choose one based on his/her specialization. The duration of the test is 120 minutes.
Question: What is the eligibility criterion for TANCET?
Answer: A pass in any recognized degree with 10 + 2 + 3 year’s pattern. Candidates who have passed the qualifying degree course/ appearing for the final semester/ year examination of the said qualifying degree course during April/ May 2018 may appear for TANCET 2018.
Question: Which colleges are covered under TANCET?
Answer: The top colleges covered under this examination are:
- Government College of Engineering, Chennai (Anna University)
- PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai (Anna University)
- Government College of Engineering, Coimbatore
- Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Coimbatore
- Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering, Thirupuror, Kanchipuram
- Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai
- A.C. College of Technology, Chennai (Anna University)
- Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore
- Sri Venkateshwara College of Engineering, Kanchipuram
Question: What are the steps to apply for TANCET 2018?
Answer: The applicants can apply online or offline for TANCET 2018.
Online Application process
To apply online, the candidates need to visit the official website of Anna University www.anauniv.edu and click on TANCET 2018 application source link. Then the applicants should fill the required details in the application form. After filling in the details, the candidates need to pay the application fee (via online and submit the duly filled form along with DD and mandatory certificate copies and photographs to The Secretary, TANCET, Centre for Entrance Examinations, Anna University, Chennai – 600 025
Question: What is the selection procedure for TANCET 2018?
Answer: The registration for TANCET begins in April. The last date for online and offline spot registration is usually mid of April. Following this the candidate receives the Hall Ticket within a week or so. TANCET exam is conducted in the third or fourth week of May and by last week of June the result is declared. Following this the Counseling process begins by July. The seats in the respective courses are allotted in the colleges of Tamil Nadu affiliated to Anna University.
- Candidates have to pay a fee of Rs.500/- (Rs.250/- for SC/SCA/ST Candidates belonging to Tamil Nadu on production of a copy of Permanent Community Certificate) as entrance test fee for any one of the Programs either (1) MBA or (2) MCA or (3) ME/M.Tech / M.Arch / M.Plan
- If a candidate desires to appear for more than one program, for every additional program, he/she has to pay Rs.500/- (Rs.250/- for SC/ST Candidates belonging to Tamil Nadu) along with the filled-in application
Question: What is the counseling process for TANCET 2018?
Answer: The counseling for TANCET 2018 is likely to be held in July 2018. Applications for participation in counseling must be sent along with all the relevant certificates, counseling fee and GATE scorecard/TANCET scorecard to: The Secretary, Tamil Nadu Common Admissions (TANCA), Anna University, Chennai – 600 025. Venue of the counseling will be the university itself.
Question: Which are the coordinating centres for TANCET 2018?
Answer: Following is the list of coordinating centres for TANCET 2018:
- Chennai Examination Centre, Anna University, Chennai
- Chidambaram Annamalai University
- Coimbatore Government College of Technology
- Dindigul University College of Engineering, Dindigul
- Erode Institute of Road and Transport Technology
- Karaikudi Alagappa College of Engineering & Technology
- Madurai Anna University Regional Centre - Madurai
- Nagercoil University College of Engineering, Nagercoil
- Salem Government College of Engineering
- Thanjavur Kundavai Nachiyar Govt. Arts College for Women
- Tirunelveli Government College of Engineering
- Tiruchirappalli Anna University Regional Centre - Tiruchirappalli
- Vellore Thanthai Periyar Government Institute of Technology
- Villupuram University College of Engineering, Villupuram
- Virudhunagar Kamaraj College of Engineering and Technology
Question: Which are the examination centres for TANCET 2018?
Answer: The entrance test will be held at the following cities: