University of Kerala PhD Admission 2018
University of Kerala (Thiruvananthapuram PhD Entrance Exam - 2018
Applications are invited by University of Kerala (Thiruvananthapuram) for admission to Full-Time and Part-Time Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Program Offered in various subjects for the academic year 2018-19
To subjects coming under the faculty of Engineering shall be confined to the branches permissible at the research centres viz.: C-DAC, VSSC, LBS, NIIST (not under the purview of the APJ Abdul Kalam Technical University) and at the relevant University Depts. under the supervision of research supervisors other than those regular teachers under the Technical University
- Last Date of Online Application is 15th February 2018
- Last Date of Receipt of Hard copy of Application is 16th February 2018, 5.00 PM
PhD subjects offered are
- Aquatic Biology and Fisheries; 2. Archaeology; 3. Bio-chemistry; 4. Biotechnology; 5. Botany; 6. Chemistry; 7. Commerce; 8. Computational Biology and Bioinformatics; 9. Demography; 10. Economics; 11. Education; 12. English; 13. Environmental Science; 14. Geography; 15. Geology; 16. Hindi; 17. Islamic Studies; 18. Linguistics; 19. Mathematics; 20. Optoelectronics; 21. Physical Education; 22. Physics; 23. Political Science; 24. Psychology; 25. Public Administration; 26. Russian; 27. Social Work; 28. Sociology; 29. Statistics; 30. Tamil; 31. Zoology
- Candidates for admission to the PhD Program Should have Master's Degree or a Professional Degree recognized as equivalent to the Master’s Degree of the University of Kerala in Grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale (Or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) with not less than 55% marks OR an equivalent degree from a foreign educational institution accredited by an Assessment/Accreditation Agency which is approved, recognized or authorized by an authority, established. or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions.
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, shall be granted to those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/differently-abled and other categories of candidates as per the decisions of the University/State Govt. from time to time, or for those who had obtained their master’s degree prior to 19th Sept. 1991.
- Eligibility marks of 55% (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 5% to the categories above are permissible based only on the qualifying marks exclusive of the grace mark procedures.
- Candidates who have passed the M.Phil. Program With a minimum of grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale(or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent shall be eligible
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, shall be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC(non-creamy layer)/differently-abled and other categories of candidates, as decided by the State Govt./University from time to time
- Candidates for whom M.Phil. dissertation stands evaluated, but the vivavoce remains yet to be scheduled are also eligible to be admitted to the PhD Program of the same institution
Exemption from Entrance Test
Candidates for PhD Program shall be granted registration through an entrance test conducted by the University. The following categories are exempted from qualifying PhD entrance test conducted by the University
- Candidates with UGC-NET/JRF, UGC-CSIR-NET/JRF, SLET, GATE and research fellowships of central and state Govt. Depts./ Agencies as approved by the University
- MPhil Degree and teacher fellowship holders
- Those who have qualified MPhil in subjects other than the subjects in which he/she seeks registration for PhD would be required to qualify the Eligibility Test
- Candidates with DBT-JRF are permitted to register for research leading to PhD Degree in Biotechnology
- Candidates with DST-INSPIRE fellowship
Relaxation of Marks
- A relaxation of 5%of marks, from 55% to 50% or an equivalent relaxation of grade shall be granted to those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (Non-creamy layer)/differently abled and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the University/State Govt. from time to time or for those who had obtained their master’s degree prior to 19th Sept. 1991.
- Eligibility marks of 55% (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 5% to the categories mentioned under (2) above are permissible based only on the qualifying marks exclusive of the grace mark procedures
Duration of the Program
- PhD Program shall be for a minimum duration of three years, including course work and a maximum of six years
- Women candidates and candidates with disability of more than 40% may be allowed a relaxation of two years for PhD in the maximum duration
Scheme of the Test
- General Aptitude Test will be of three hours duration and will carry a maximum of 100 marks
- Entrance test shall be conducted at the Centre(s) on the dates to be notified and changes of centers/dates, if any, shall also be notified.
- The test comprises of two papers: Part A - Research Methodology (50%) &Part B- Subject of study concerned (50%). Pass requirement is minimum 50% marks each in Part A/Part B for General Category and 40% each for SC/ST students. Post Graduate level knowledge of the subject and aptitude for research are expected of the candidate
- Candidates will be selected on the basis of their performance in the PhD entrance test conducted by the university.
- Candidates who have already qualified in the NET for JRF or Lectureship of the UGC/CSIR or ICAR/GATE or ICMR JRF Test (or);
- Candidates who are selected for fellowship by the Kerala State Council for Science, Technology & Environ. or the SLET conducted by the Kerala Govt. or who hold M.Phil. Degree by research and thesis in addition to a master’s degree or its equivalent with not less than 55% marks are exempted from eligibility test.
- Candidates with DST-INSPIRE fellowship are exempted from PhD entrance test.
- Candidates who have qualified (GPAT) are exempted from PhD entrance test and are permitted to register for research leading to PhD degree in Pharmacy.
- Online registration can be done through the University website www.research.keralauniversity.ac.in from 20th January to 15th February 2018
- The print outs of the application so submitted should be submitted at the time of Doctoral Committee along with attested and original copies of certificates and cash receipt.
- Applications for subjects which are not being offered at the University Departments should submit the print outs of the applications along with all documents and cash receipt/DD to the Registrar, University of Kerala on or before 16th February 2018
- The Fee for the test is Rs.1020/-(Rs.1000/- Exam Fee + Rs.20/- Cost of Application). For candidates belonging to SC/ST the fee for the test is Rs.520/- (Rs.500/- Exam Fee + Rs.20/- Cost of Application)
- Rs.10/- for one DD as service charge in case of DD
- Applications can be downloaded after online registration from the website of Kerala University
- All remittances should be either through University Cash Counter or DD issued by the State Bank of India or the District Co-Operative Bank drawn in favour of the Finance Officer, University of Kerala, payable at Thiruvananthapuram
For any query, candidates are requested to check the official websitewww.research.keralauniversity.ac.in
For any query, candidates are requested to check the official website .
Click here or more Admission Notification