IUCAA-NCRA PhD Admission Test 2018 - Application, Dates
Inter-University Centres for Astronomy & Astrophysics PhD Admission 2018 December
IUCAA-NCRA PhD Admission Test 2018 - Applications are invited from highly motivated students for a research scholarship to do a PhD at the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune (an Autonomous Institution of the University Grants Commission), or the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA-TIFR), Pune (a centre of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research), which built and operates the Giant Metre wave Radio Telescope.
Also See : Phd Admissions 2018
INAT - 2018
- Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, Pune IUCAA-NCRA Admission Test [INAT] â€“ 2018
IUCAA & NCRA-TIFR
- The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune (an autonomous institution of the University Grants Commission), and the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (NCRA-TIFR), Pune, are two leading centres of research in a wide range of areas in Physics, and Astronomy and Astrophysics.
- IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR are located on neighbouring campuses in the Pune University Campus.
- IUCAA offers challenging opportunities to young researchers in instrumentation, ground and spaced-based observations and data analysis, gravitational wave astrophysics, theoretical astrophysics and cosmology
- IUCAA is a participant in major national and international projects such as the currently operating 10-m Southern African Large Telescope (SALT), the multi-wavelength AstroSat mission; the upcoming Aditya mission; the next generation optical observatory - the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT); the planned advanced gravitational-wave observatory - the LIGO-India. IUCAA also has a high-performance computational facility and an excellent library.
IUCAA-NCRA Admission Test (INAT-2018)
- The IUCAA-NCRA Admission Test (INAT-2018) is being conducted to select candidates for a research scholarship towards a PhD at either IUCAA or NCRA-TIFR.
Also See : Admission Notifications 2018
Important Dates for IUCAA NCRA PhD Admission Test 2018
- Last Date for the Online Submission of INAT-2018 Application is 21st September 2018
- Last Date for the Online Submission of the Assessment Forms is 25th September 2018
- Date of Written Test: 13th December 2018 (Thursday)
- Two Interviews (on Thursday, December 13, and/or Friday, December 14, 2018), both to be held in Pune
- Applications are invited from students who expect to complete their M.Sc., Integrated M.Sc., B.Sc., or B.E. /B.Tech./M.E./M. Tech. degrees by July 2019 with 55% marks or more. Students in any branch of the B.E., B.Tech., M.E. or M. Tech. degrees, or in the Physics, Electronics, Astronomy or Applied Mathematics branches of the B.Sc. or M.Sc. degrees, are eligible to apply for INAT-2018
- Students who have already completed any of the above degrees are also eligible. In addition, talented final-year B.Sc., 1st year M.Sc., 3rd/4th year Integrated M.Sc. and 2nd/3rd year B.E./B.Tech. students may also apply to be pre-selected for the PhD Program at IUCAA
- Students who complete their M.Sc./Integrated M.Sc./M.E./M.Tech. degrees by July 2019 will be eligible for selection to the PhD Program of both IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR. Students who complete their B.E./B.Tech. degrees by July 2019 are eligible for selection to the PhD Program at IUCAA and to the Integrated PhD Program at NCRA-TIFR
- Students who complete their B.Sc. degrees by July 2019 will be eligible for selection to the Integrated PhD Program at NCRA-TIFR and for pre-selection to the PhD Program at IUCAA
- We are looking for highly motivated students with a consistently good academic record. While we strongly encourage students from engineering backgrounds to apply for INAT-2018, we emphasize that we are looking for students who are interested in carrying out doctoral research in Physics, or Astronomy and Astrophysics. We hence expect prospective candidates to have a good understanding of basic Physics.
- Based on the applications and referee assessments, a subset of the candidates will be short-listed and invited to take the written test, to be held in Pune on 13th December 2018
- Candidates with 55% or more marks in the qualifying exam may walk-in for the written test by producing a valid photo identification and a copy of their most recent marksheet. All candidates should report at the Chandrasekhar Auditorium, IUCAA, together with the necessary documents for verification (the ones mentioned above, for all walk-in candidates, and the Admit letter, for all invited candidates)
- Registration for the test will begin at 8:00 a.m. and end at 9:00 a.m. A seat in the test is not guaranteed unless registration is completed by the candidate during this period. The final selection to the research scholarship will be based on the results of the written test (on 13th December 2018) and two interviews (on 13th December and/or Friday, 14th December 2018), both to be held in Pune
- Note that, for both IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR, the selection through INAT is in addition to the selection through the Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST)
Nature of the Written Test
- The test will be of TWO hours duration. The question paper will have THREE parts: A, B, and C. Part A will contain seventeen objective-type questions on basic Mathematics, Physics and Electronics
- Part B will contain another seventeen objective-type questions from advanced Physics, Mathematics and Electronics/Engineering. For each question, candidates will have to identify and mark the correct answer from the given four answers. For a correct answer, there will be +3 (plus three) marks, and for a wrong answer, there will be -1 (minus one) mark
- Part C will contain six questions, from both basic and advanced areas, whose answers are all integers of 3 (three) digits. Candidates must answer these questions by filling in the appropriate squares in the Answer Sheet. Each correct answer in Part C gets +3 (plus three) marks; there are no negative marks for incorrect answers to the questions of Part C. Based on their performance in the written test, a limited number of candidates will be invited for two interviews, which will be conducted on December 13 and/or 14, 2018
- The final selection will be based on the scores in the written test and interviews. Candidates selected by either IUCAA or NCRA-TIFR are expected to join in August 2019 (except for pre-selected candidates), after satisfactory completion of their qualifying exam
Application Procedure for IUCAA NCRA PhD Admission Test 2018
- Candidates should apply online at https://inat.ncra.tifr.res.in/inat
- More details, including eligibility for selection to the different programs at IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR as well as information for walk-in candidates, are available at the same URL
- There are TWO steps in the application procedure. Candidates must first register by entering their name and valid e-mail address in the appropriate registration boxes below.
- An application password will then be automatically sent to the candidate's e-mail address; the e-mail address and the password must be entered to fill out the Online Application Form
- The Application Form also requires the names and e-mail addresses of two referees. Candidates must submit the Online Application Form by 21st September 2018. When the form is submitted, the candidate will receive an e-mail containing his/her Online ID, an account password, and confirmation that s/he has applied for INAT-2018
- E-mails will also be automatically sent to the two referees, requesting them to fill and submit the online Confidential Assessment Form. The candidates should inform their referees about the Assessment Form. Note that each applicant must submit his/her Application Form before the referee fills the Assessment Form
- Please e-mail the Co-ordinator at email@example.com in case of any problems with the online forms
Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA)
(An Autonomous Institution of the University Grants Commission), Post Bag 4, Ganeshkhind, S. P. Pune University Campus, Pune 411 007, India, Tel: +91 20 2560 4100 | Fax: +91 20 2560 4699, Website www.iucaa.in
National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA)
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Post Bag 3, Ganeshkhind, S. P. Pune University Campus, Pune 411 007, India. Tel: +91 20 2571 9000 | Fax: +91 20 2569 2149, Website www.ncra.tifr.res.in
Top PhD Entrance Exams in India
Here is al ist of Top PhD Entrance Exams in India. Visit the page to know about Entrance Exam Notifications of Top PhD Courses in India
Why do a Phd? - Reasons, Funding Schemes, Job Prospects
Why do a PhD? - Purpose, Opportunities, Funding Schemes. Check here the list of Important Schemes and Funding Opportunities available to do PhD in India