IUCAA-NCRA PhD Admission Test 2019 - Application, Dates
Inter-University Centres for Astronomy & Astrophysics PhD Admission Test 2019
IUCAA-NCRA PhD Admission Test 2019 - Applications are invited from highly motivated students for a research scholarship to do a PhD at the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune or the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA), Pune (an Autonomous Institution of the University Grants Commission), or the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA-TIFR), Pune (a centre of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research), which built and operates the Giant Metre wave Radio Telescope.
Also See : Phd Admissions
INAT - 2019
- Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, Pune IUCAA-NCRA Admission Test [INAT] – 2019
IUCAA & NCRA-TIFR
- The Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune (an autonomous institution of the University Grants Commission), and the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (NCRA-TIFR), Pune, are two leading centres of research in a wide range of areas in Physics, and Astronomy and Astrophysics.
- IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR are located on neighbouring campuses in the Pune University Campus.
- IUCAA offers challenging opportunities to young researchers in instrumentation, ground and spaced-based observations and data analysis, gravitational wave astrophysics, theoretical astrophysics and cosmology
- IUCAA is a participant in major national and international projects such as the currently operating 10-m Southern African Large Telescope (SALT), the multi-wavelength AstroSat mission; the upcoming Aditya mission; the next generation optical observatory - the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT); the planned advanced gravitational-wave observatory - the LIGO-India. IUCAA also has a high-performance computational facility and an excellent library.
IUCAA-NCRA Admission Test (INAT-2019)
- The IUCAA-NCRA Admission Test (INAT-2019) is being conducted to select candidates for a research scholarship towards a PhD at either IUCAA or NCRA-TIFR.
Also See : Admission Notifications
Important Dates for IUCAA NCRA PhD Admission Test 2019
Last Date for the Online Submission of INAT-2019 Application is 12th September 2019
Last Date for the Online Submission of the Assessment Forms is 19th September 2019
Selection for the PhD Programme will be through a Written Test: 05th December 2019
Short-listed candidates will be Interviews on 05th, 06th & 07th December 2019 (Thursday, Friday, Saturday)
- Applications are invited from students who expect to complete their M.Sc., Integrated M.Sc., B.Sc., or B.E. /B.Tech./M.E./M. Tech. degrees by July 2020 with 55% marks or more. Students in any branch of the B.E., B.Tech., M.E. or M. Tech. degrees, or in the Physics, Electronics, Astronomy or Applied Mathematics branches of the B.Sc. or M.Sc. degrees, are eligible to apply for INAT-2019
- Students who have already completed any of the above degrees are also eligible. In addition, talented final-year B.Sc., 1st year M.Sc., 3rd/4th year Integrated M.Sc. and 2nd/3rd year B.E./B.Tech. students may also apply to be pre-selected for the PhD Program at IUCAA
- Students who complete their M.Sc./Integrated M.Sc./M.E./M.Tech. degrees by July 2020 will be eligible for selection to the PhD Program of both IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR. Students who complete their B.E./B.Tech. degrees by July 2020 are eligible for selection to the PhD Program at IUCAA and to the Integrated PhD Program at NCRA-TIFR
- Students who complete their B.Sc. degrees by July 2020 will be eligible for selection to the Integrated PhD Program at NCRA-TIFR and for pre-selection to the PhD Program at IUCAA
Students from engineering backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply for INAT-2019. IUCAA is looking for students who are interested in carrying out doctoral research in Physics, or Astronomy and Astrophysics. Prospective candidates are expected to have a good understanding of basic Physics
Based on the applications and referee assessments, applicants will be short-listed and invited to take the written test, to be held in Pune on December 05, 2019 (Thursday).
Those with 55% or more marks in the qualifying examination may walk-in for the written test by producing valid photo identification and a copy of their most recent mark-sheet. All candidates should report at the Chandrasekhar Auditorium, IUCAA, together with the necessary documents for verification (the ones mentioned above, for all walk-in candidates, and the Admit letter, for all invited candidates).
Registration for the test will begin at 8 a.m. and end at 9 a.m. A seat in the test is not guaranteed unless registration is completed by the candidate during this period.
The final selection to the research scholarship will be based on the results of the written test being held on December 05, 2019 (Thursday) and two interviews, to be held on December 05, 06, and/or 07, 2019), all to be held at IUCAA, Pune. Selection through INAT is in addition to the selection through the Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST)
Nature of the Written Test
The test will be of 2 hours duration. The question paper will be in English. The questions will be from basic Physics, Mathematics, Electronics/ Engineering to advanced areas of the same subjects and consists of three parts:
Part – A: Basic Physics, Mathematics, and Engineering;
Part – B: Advanced Physics, Mathematics and Engineering;
Part-C: Both basic and advanced areas of Physics, Mathematics and Engineering.
Each of Part A and B Based on their performance in the written test, a limited number of candidates will be invited for two interviews, which will be conducted on December 05, 06 and/or 07, 2019
The final selection will be based on the scores in the written test and interviews.
Selected candidates are expected to join in August 2020 (except for pre-selected candidates), after satisfactory completion of their qualifying examination.
Pre-selected candidates will need to complete their qualifying degree (M. Sc./ B.E./ B. Tech.) from any institute and join the Ph.D. programme only after that.Travel and Stay: Outstation candidates will be paid one and one-third times the train/bus fare by second-class sleeper from their place of residence (as given in the INAT-2019 Application Form) to Pune and back by the shortest route, as well as a halting allowance (as per the prevailing rules) for each day of stay for the interviews. Outstation walk-in candidates who are shortlisted for the interviews will also be paid travel support as above.
Also See: Latest Entrance Exam Notification
Application Procedure for IUCAA NCRA PhD Admission Test 2019
There are 2 steps in the application procedure. Applicant must first register by entering their name and valid e-mail address in the appropriate registration boxes at https://inat.iucaa.in/INAT2019
An application password will then be automatically sent to the candidates e-mail address; the e-mail address and the password must be entered in order to fill out the Online Application Form. The Application Form also requires the names and e-mail addresses of two referees. A referee is a member of the academic community who can provide a fair assessment of applicants academic career.
- The best referees are typically supervisors on previous research projects, teachers at applicant’s academic institution, and faculty members with whom applicant has discussed science issues. Family members or other relatives, friends and fellow students will not be accepted as referees Assessment Form.
- Please e-mail The Co-ordinator at email@example.com in case of any problems with the online forms.
Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA)
(An Autonomous Institution of the University Grants Commission), Post Bag 4, Ganeshkhind, S. P. Pune University Campus, Pune 411 007, India, Tel: +91 20 2560 4100 | Fax: +91 20 2560 4699, Website www.iucaa.in
National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA)
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Post Bag 3, Ganeshkhind, S. P. Pune University Campus, Pune 411 007, India. Tel: +91 20 2571 9000 | Fax: +91 20 2569 2149, Website www.ncra.tifr.res.in
Ph.D. in Computer Science
Universities offering PhD in Computer science, Fee, Job Opportunities and Salary.
PhD Admission Process in India
Tips for Getting Good Scores in Gate Exams. Visit us for tips on getting good scores in GATE an all India level entrance examination for aspirants who want to pursue Masters/Direct PhD.
Top PhD Entrance Exams in India
Here is al ist of Top PhD Entrance Exams in India. Visit the page to know about Entrance Exam Notifications of Top PhD Courses in India.
Why do a Phd? - Reasons, Funding Schemes, Job Prospects
Why do a PhD? - Purpose, Opportunities, Funding Schemes. Check here the list of Important Schemes and Funding Opportunities available to do PhD in India